Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Touchpaddle
  • 2 Post By xxdigipxx
  • 1 Post By Tikerz
  1.    #1  
    While organizing old receipts, I came across the Apple.com receipt
    on my desk.

I bought my iPad 2 64GB 3G from Apple.com for $799 back in June.
    (actually it's $867 after adding the sales tax)

By comparison, I only paid $84 for my Touchpad from HP.com
    in August. ($99 - HP $15-off coupon)

I haven't really thought about it this way, but I just realized that
    my iPad 2 cost TEN TIMES as much as my Touchpad.

However, my iPad 2 has been gathering dust on the desk for quite
    a while now. I mostly use my Touchpad. I also take it with me
    anywhere I go(car, planes, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    on my desk.

I was given an iPad 2 as a gift(Thanks Derbycon!!), but had already ordered my Touchpad weeks ago and was waiting for it to come after the firesale. Having the iPad first, I had about 2 weeks to play with it before the Touchpad came in the mail. After having both, I stopped using the iPad. It just doesn't do what I needed it to, and lacks user control out of the box. No native MP3 player, screw iTunes crap (only used it in a VM to get the iPad turned on)

The fact that I can drag on my mp3s like its an sd card, or open a terminal and ssh or sftp into my other machines and websites is critical. Having to shell out money for apps to do what is built in basically to the Touchpad and Linux (short of installing OpenSSH and xterm, etc) really make all the difference for me in productivity, usefulness and functionality.

Personally, I would never have an iPad had it not been a gift, and would NEVER have spent that kind of money on a product that I find only suitable for Kindle books and Angry Birds, as where the touchpad, is worth every penny in my opinion. I only wish it had 3G and a GPS built into it. Location services are nice and work extremely well considering its wifi oriented, but a true GPS for geocaching with internet access would be a welcome addition and I would pay for an upgrade to a new device if it had those in the next Touchpad(head that HP, don't kill this thing off just yet).

About the only thing so far the Touchpad doesn't do that I would want, is Teamviewer, since I remote into family machines a lot to update them, but it has an RDP client, so I guess thats close enough for now. I also like that the Touchpad has a free vpn client for PPTP as well. Just seems that the Touchpad will be geared more for getting stuff done and being productive in work and usefulness, as where the iPad will be more for gaming, maybe casual web surfing or twitter posting while on the couch, something the Touchpad does anyway. I've already given the iPad to my wife so she can read her kindle books, but other than that, I have no use for the iPad and am more than happy with my Touchpad.
    atg284 and slamdunksaliby like this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Come on, guys... get serious. The only reason you paid $84 for your Touchpad is because it was DISCONTINUED. I bought mine originally right after it came out and my tab for the 32GB Touchpad, a Touchstone, and the case was $740. That's in the same price point as the iPad. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund when HP axed it.

I mean, I'm a fan of WebOS too, even thought it's headed to an inevitable demise; but comparing prices of a discontinued product that was EOL'd before it was a month old to a wildly successful product like the iPad is just plain silly.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You should definitely sell that ipad before the ipad 3 comes out. The value is going to drop if it is not the current version when you sell it.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Well, even if the TouchPad was regular price it still would have been almost half the cost of the iPad 2.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Come on, guys... get serious. The only reason you paid $84 for your Touchpad is because it was DISCONTINUED. .
    ?? are you serious? I'd buy a $99 touchpad over a $550 Ipad any day. These tablets are way over priced. And you paid $750 for all that? If I had your money, I'd burn mine.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I wasn't a subscriber to the "tablet" craze. I had no intention of ever buying an Ipad or any tablet that cost as much as a mid-level laptop just to have LESS abilities than a laptop. The logic was just mind numbing to me.

However, when I saw the $99 blow out sale I decided to jump in. At that price, it's a throwaway item to me. And I do not say this to be derogatory. It's a mental price point for me that can justify the cost given its abilities and if I won't have to feel that knot in my stomach feeling if it breaks, is left behind, dropped, etc.

And Ipad 2 @ $600+ would have me wanting to baby it and treat it as if I was holding delicate Waterford Crystal all the damn time - which goes against the very nature of tablets ( Less expensive than a laptop, more rugged than a standard laptop, quick and simple. ).

That said, I'm satisfied with my HP. A tablet definitely wasn't a need in my life but it does make a nice addition to the scope of items in my tech arsenal. I love the fact that it has Flash. I can watch Formula 1 and Football on it while laying in my bed or sitting on the throne without cooking my leg like my laptop does at times.

I only wish it had:
    (1) The ability to accept hotspot or bluetooth tethering from my Iphone. W*T*F was HP thinking disabling it from using ad hoc networks WiFi & Bluetooth networks outside of PrePhone?! Dumbest walled garden strategy I have ever seen executed. I guess they thought this would induce people to get a WebOS phone (or punish and enslave them for having anything but) <rolleyes>
    I have a "dumb" tablet whenever I'm in the car or not connected to a Wifi signal. Had I know this before hand, I might have reconsidered.

(2) Real GPS! C'mon guys. GPS chipset receivers are half the size of a postage stamp and cost $2.50 BOM.
    It was a bunch of baloney when I found out the Bing Maps feature uses your IP address for location. Again, penny wise - dollar foolish on their part.

(3) A better browser. They should have partnered with Mozilla and knocked it out park. The stock browser is passable, but really lacking compared to Safari and Chrome.
    Heist.
    Don't know if this a viable option to you, but I can setup a hotspot connection between my iPhone and touchpad. I had to jailbreak my iPhone to do it and then install tether me app. It does work though
    That $783 extra is for magic. It doesn't come cheap.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonhilsco View Post
    Heist.
    Don't know if this a viable option to you, but I can setup a hotspot connection between my iPhone and touchpad. I had to jailbreak my iPhone to do it and then install tether me app. It does work though
    Hmmm, my Iphone is JB'd and running on T-Mo (If that makes any difference).
    I tried the native Iphone tethering (failed)
    PdaNet (failed)
    MyWi 5.0 (failed)

Is TetherMe on Cydia or Installous? Do you know the Repo?
    Come on, guys... get serious. The only reason you paid $84 for your Touchpad is because it was DISCONTINUED. I bought mine originally right after it came out and my tab for the 32GB Touchpad, a Touchstone, and the case was $740. That's in the same price point as the iPad. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund when HP axed it.

I mean, I'm a fan of WebOS too, even thought it's headed to an inevitable demise; but comparing prices of a discontinued product that was EOL'd before it was a month old to a wildly successful product like the iPad is just plain silly.
    Being a former iPad owner myself I think the OP and the rest have made valid points. The Touchpad may have been overpriced at launch, but it's just as capable as any iDevice. The only thing I can't do with my touchpad is remote control an apple tv and use airplay. This requires an apple tv of course which most people don't have. Ipad can access Hulu and Netflix. Not too big of a deal for me since I only watch moves at home on my tv. The touchpad however can view flash. Man was it annoying to have to go to my pc or pull out my smartphone to view flash. In short, the TouchpadFire (see what I did there) was/is the best tech bargain since the first smartphones were released.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    how do you watch F1 on it???
    thanks
    jack

Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    I wasn't a subscriber to the "tablet" craze. I had no intention of ever buying an Ipad or any tablet that cost as much as a mid-level laptop just to have LESS abilities than a laptop. The logic was just mind numbing to me.

However, when I saw the $99 blow out sale I decided to jump in. At that price, it's a throwaway item to me. And I do not say this to be derogatory. It's a mental price point for me that can justify the cost given its abilities and if I won't have to feel that knot in my stomach feeling if it breaks, is left behind, dropped, etc.

And Ipad 2 @ $600+ would have me wanting to baby it and treat it as if I was holding delicate Waterford Crystal all the damn time - which goes against the very nature of tablets ( Less expensive than a laptop, more rugged than a standard laptop, quick and simple. ).

That said, I'm satisfied with my HP. A tablet definitely wasn't a need in my life but it does make a nice addition to the scope of items in my tech arsenal. I love the fact that it has Flash. I can watch Formula 1 and Football on it while laying in my bed or sitting on the throne without cooking my leg like my laptop does at times.
    Last edited by jack90125; 10/21/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    on my desk.

Well apparently your first mistake was paying $867 for a tablet. For that price you could have bought a pretty decent laptop. Like, one of the ones with a videocard in it that can run most games out right now.
    "It just occurred to you" Can I be in your will, daddy warbucks?!!

Sent from my SPH-D710
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack90125 View Post
    how do you watch F1 on it???
    thanks
    jack
    Sports streams:
    lsh.lshunter.tv
    FirstRow Free Live Sports Streams on your PC, Live Football Stream, Myp2p, Live MLB, Live NBA, Live NHL and more...
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
    That $783 extra is for magic. It doesn't come cheap.
    Apple sprinkles ground Unicorn Horn powder and Pixie Dust on every Apple device.
    It's essential to the magic that is Apple, and that ish ain't cheap ya know.

Seriously, while I have an Iphone - I always find it amusing how in an industry (CE) where almost every major player is in a race to reduce costs and price points with each passing year and make their products hit sweeter cost brackets in the consumer segment, Apple on the other hand continually RAISES the price of their products and even in liquidation, still charge a premium.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    on my desk.

so now that you think about will you be whiling to sell me your ipad since you dont use it anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post

I only wish it had:
    (1) The ability to accept hotspot or bluetooth tethering from my Iphone. W*T*F was HP thinking disabling it from using ad hoc networks WiFi & Bluetooth networks outside of PrePhone?! Dumbest walled garden strategy I have ever seen executed. I guess they thought this would induce people to get a WebOS phone (or punish and enslave them for having anything but) <rolleyes>
    I have a "dumb" tablet whenever I'm in the car or not connected to a Wifi signal. Had I know this before hand, I might have reconsidered.
    I had a similar issue with my Pre and iTouch. The iTouch did not like the Pre's mobile hotspot for whatever reason. Just about everything else except for a really cheap netbook has been fine with it (including the TouchPad) but the iTouch and that cheap netbook really did not like it.

Well, I bought mine at $150 for the 32GB touchpad, and more than happy with it. The fact that it runs linux natively is a plus. My goal was at some point to put Backtrack on it, but only down the road when its been fully tested and has better support for the screen size and virtual keyboard(need a ctrl key for shell commands, if anyone knows of a good add on to xecutah for changing to a full qwerty keyboard, let me know, it would be nice to be able to use nano and such).

The Touchpad is something I wanted BEFORE the firesale, because I know of the homebrew stuff coming out for it and was going to be useful to have while on the road or whatever I needed it for. The iPad, as with all apple products, is just too expensive, and doesn't give me the control I need over the device to do the things I want with it. Flash alone, more than people want to admit it, is used in a lot of places we use daily, not to mention required for most news sites that have video these days.

If I had gotten the refund that you received, I would have then went out and bought a bunch of them. At some point, people are going to unlock it to run just about anything compatible with arm, dare I even say, windows 8, which who knows, might even be possible at some point.