Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You can read the full press release here - however in touchpad terms, it was part of the 'other' category and topped out at 500,000 (the whole category but the vast majority will be touchpads) or 2.9% of the market.

So *assuming* that the other category is virtually all touchpads, it works out as:

iOS 66.6% (11.1 million units)
    Android 26.9% (4.5 million units)
    Others 2.9% (500,000 units)
    Microsoft 2.4% (400,000 units)
    QNX 1.2% (200,000 units)
    Microsoft tablets?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Microsoft tablets?

Windows 7 tablets.
    Playbook sold 200.000? That's a surprise. It's even more a surprise that Microsoft has sold 400.000 units. I guess those are being used for enterprises?

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Does anyone know what is "other" besides WebOS?
    Ah, the article does say those are the numbers shipped. RIM has always been careful to mention only numbers shipped and not numbers sold to the public. We can be pretty certain most of those "Others" were sold. If you didn't find a cheap Touchpad in the first hour of the firesale, you don't get a cheap Touchpad. But, how many of those Playbooks are still sitting on the shelves?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Playbook sold 200.000? That's a surprise. It's even more a surprise that Microsoft has sold 400.000 units. I guess those are being used for enterprises?

Correct. Those numbers can't bee lookd at in the same perspective.
    MS - mainly Win7 tablets for enterprise as they need windows functionality so more like 80% enterprise, 20% consumer
    BB - govt enterprise as they are already locked in with BBM, and BB servers etc. So like 90% enterprise, 10% consumer
    So YES this will inflate the marketshare.
    Apple is even starting to gain ground in enterprise with the help of thrid party security firms - as it is not secure enough without it.

So for webOS to be 3rd with only one tablet in 6 weeks is awesome - plus I am a bit bias.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Ok, if you read that link, they have a link to the source, but you need to spend $6,999 to buy it (a bargain, cheaper than $7000).

According to the summary, the report " contains quarterly global tablet shipments by operating system from Q1 2010 through Q3 2011. Platforms covered include Apple iOS, Android, Microsoft and QNX."

Unclear if this includes WebOS, as the other 4 are broken out.

I don't think these figures are accurate. HP's supposedly built and sold one million touchpads, right (I think that was the number). HP's quarterly or annual report probably has the real number.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    i agree, there are around 1 million TP's.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Maybe half of them are sitting on ebay and craigslist.

I'm more surprised at the number of Android tablets, if they've shipped 4.5 million units, I've never seen one in the wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I don't think HP made more that 500,000 touchpads, based on what i've heard from friends in the business. Apparently they stopped well short of their initial plan, and the million unit number also included the touchpadGO that was never built.

500k sounds about right.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post

I'm more surprised at the number of Android tablets, if they've shipped 4.5 million units, I've never seen one in the wild.
    Most of them sell in relatively low numbers but the number of OEMs knocking them out means that as a combined platform they sell a lot.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts

About a month ago I searched ebay for 'TouchPad' and based on the number of pages and items per page calculated there were roughly 22,000. Even if Craig's list doubles this (no idea, didn't analyze), the vast majority were sold by people who bought webOS for webOS, not to make a profit. How many bought it hoping for an Android port to replace, not augment, webOS? I don't think as many as Android fans would have you believe.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    About a month ago I searched ebay for 'TouchPad' and based on the number of pages and items per page calculated there were roughly 22,000. Even if Craig's list doubles this (no idea, didn't analyze), the vast majority were sold by people who bought webOS for webOS, not to make a profit. How many bought it hoping for an Android port to replace, not augment, webOS? I don't think as many as Android fans would have you believe.
    Craigslist paints a very different picture. I'm in the DC area--you regularly see CL adds for Touchpads going for exactly $100 above their price at the firesale (meaning $200 for 16 gig, $250-300 for 32gb), which seems to heavily imply that the majority of them were bought just to be resold. Especially since they're always still boxed.
    Ok, wrote to the author, he confirmed that the numbers are based on units shipped. So if someone buys one from Best Buy, that would be included, but if they bought from HP, my guess is that they would NOT be included in the number.

Maybe that explains the 1,000,000 (or 500,000) vs. 200,000 number?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i think iOS share includes tablets AND phones
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If you believe all these companies hyping their sales figures --- then the Asus Transformer would be owning 50% of the Honeycomb market right now (given that there are only a little over 3 million Honeycomb tablets out there).

The only numbers that are remotely believable are from companies that are listed in the US and where they are governed by SEC disclosure rules.
    Last edited by samab; 10/21/2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Actually, didn't the 3rd Quarter end july 31? That is what it shows on the HP Quarterly report. The firesale was probably in the 4th quarter?

Any financial types confirm?
    KA1
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i think iOS share includes tablets AND phones
    No, it is specifically tablets only - the raw number tells you that as the numbers of iphones shipped is way higher than that.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post

The android number is skewed because of every manufacturer on the planet that's making $100 crappy capacative screen tablets. I'd like to see the number of xooms, transformers, and galaxy tabs. I've also yet to see any tablet other than an ipad in the wild.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast