1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I just purchased a 2nd hand Touchpad with Preware installed. Owning several Android devices and a Motorola Bionic on my beltclip, I must admit this is an unique device.

I am at the monument overwhelmed with the WebOs and the Preware injection. But I enjoy the web browsing, the audio quality of the speakers and the keyboard. In fact I just returned the Motorola Xoom back to Staples.

Here are my 2 questions,

If I erase the and reset the device to get the former owners WebOs account disolved will this also erase the Preware ?

I have had success with tethering and connectiong the Bionic to the Touchpad via bluetooth but no success with internet connectivity? This is where the Xoom shined and was an easy process, this is important due to the lack of Wifi at one of my work facilities.

Is there a work around the above issues?

Thanks in advance
    use freetether available via preware . This is a great phone tether app, and will allow you some touchpad internet love through any phone with a wifi radio, as long as you have a 3G signal for the phone.
    freetether runs on a webos phone, not the touchpad.

wiping the phone will remove preware, but it's simple to download quickinstall to your PC and reinstall preware.

however, you can just go to palm.com/profile and change the profile to use your email. That way you can leave it as is, and use any apps he purchased. This assumes he gave you the password.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    its best you become familiar with webos doctor and reseting touchpad , as well as the procedures for the preware and install. after a couple of go rounds you will have the confidence to explore your options ( android dual boot ect ) without concerns ././
  5.    #5  
    Many thanks for the great replys. If the unit will not mate with my Bionic it might be moved down the road. But If I dual boot with Android would the BT connection features work on the Android side????
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
    Many thanks for the great replys. If the unit will not mate with my Bionic it might be moved down the road. But If I dual boot with Android would the BT connection features work on the Android side????
    Don't know why it wouldn't. I run a Mytouch 4G and can tether any time I want. I've never had a problem with it. Just to note, I don't bluetooth tether but I do the WIFI tethering.
  7.    #7  
    I have spent hours on the BT tether and also tried Free Tether, it would not mate.
    I'm not sure how you tried freeTether, from what I read, it doesn't sound like you have a webOS phone. That's the only way you could use it, as it broadcasts a WiFi signal from the phone, to TouchPad/Laptop etc.

You don't have a built in Mobile HotSpot on that phone?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #9  
    Sledge007
    Yes there is a moblie hotspot availability but its expensive and my Bionic is not rooted.
    I will assume that a micro usb to micro usb tether from Touchpad / Bionic (android) would also fail....i am just pulling strings.
    If you do a search here, you'll find a large thread talking just about this. The issue is most tethering apps on Android & iOS use adhoc but the TouchPad doesn't support adhoc networking out of the box. They've come up with some solutions there. It's a very long thread, but very useful & educational.