Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KB88111
  • 1 Post By KB88111
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys
    I've managed to get my Touchpad to not boot and to not respond to the medic known as webOS Doctor.

What I was seeing was it hanging at 12%. I assumed something was odd with my file system so I nuked it.....

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

At this point, it boots into recovery and running the doc' gets as far as when it wants to umount store-log. Failure at 8%.

On the bright side, I thought I'd trash the whole of store and it fails even earlier now - can't find media (no .... Sherlock!!).

The device mounts properly on my XP SP3 machine, I have tried various drivers and I'd assume they are not the problem.

I can novacom boot mem:// the uimage from the JAR file for 3.04. I can then work on the thing using novaterm. There is life.

I think this is the key bit of my log:

Code:
    INFO: Mounting /dev/mapper/store-log to: /tmp_log
    21-Oct-2011 10:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: mounted mediafs and logfs sucessfully

21-Oct-2011 10:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: media mount exists

INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: log mount missing

INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: WARNING:: Issue with saving logs

INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: Done with SaveLog stage

21-Oct-2011 10:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    21-Oct-2011 10:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: MountUtils: unmount successful
    21-Oct-2011 10:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-log
    21-Oct-2011 10:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    WARNING: MountUtils: unmount failed, retrying in 1 second
    21-Oct-2011 10:10:22 com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    SEVERE: MountUtils: unmount failed: umount: can't umount /dev/mapper/store-log: No such file or directory

21-Oct-2011 10:10:22 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure 
    err -1 "unmount failed"
    	at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umountPart(MountUtils.java:320)
    	at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umount(MountUtils.java:335)
    	at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.SaveLogsBeforeFlashStage.run(SaveLogsBeforeFlashStage.java:71)
    	at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:333)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    I'd welcome any advice....!

Points to note: I've not managed to charge the thing completely yet and I am not using original cable at the moment. Also, I'm in Switzerland and this is an OD-sourced TP....so return to HP might be hard.

On the bright side, I have a spare and could turn this into a CM7 TP....
  2.    #2  
    Well it's saved. I had blitzed the whole store away but the recovery mode was still working so I took it upon myself to take new .jar files down for the webOSDoctor.....two downloads seemed to be off (3.0.0 and 3.0.4) as I could not break open one of the .jar files within the pack to get the uimage file and get onto Novaterm.

An interesting thing I did notice was the novaterm.exe & .dll you can get to use is not happy on Win7/64 - and the .bat to run the .jar environment (in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal) needs a little playing with. Here's the workaround I found:
    - Open a command window
    - pushd C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin (valid for my installation anyway)
    - java -cp letter:\path\jta26.jar;letter:\path\novacom.jar;letter:\path\novaterm.jar de/mud/jta/Main
    The beauty is that you can copy/paste into this terminal. Nice!

Finally, I got one that appeared to work for me and uploaded the uimage and recreated store.

Using that good download, I was able to then flash the TP back to life.

One thing I did notice was that the charging was unpredictable in the state it was in. I actually kept unplugging and replugging to make sure it was charging.

It's now prepped for the OTA update to 3.0.4 where I'll then drop Preware onto it.

On the bright side, my 2-year-old finally has his TP for games and movies in the car And that's freed-up 15Gb on my Touchpad for me

The summary I can give you is.....if it boots into recovery, you can get it back.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Awesome salvage operation. Thanks for coming back and posting your success. The webOS devices are rock solid when it comes to this stuff
    Two things. Now that it's working, you could just download the 3.0.4 doctor and update it that way. For something like the question you had, and nice to see you had an error log report posted, webOS Internals would be a better forum to put that under. Nice to see you got it fixed.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    I honestly thought I was up a dead end when I struggled to get back onto the device even though it was in recovery.....I think the fact that it was not really charging was throwing me too.

So
    - charge charge charge the darn thing
    - download the jar files and run them from command prompt
    - running in command means that you'll see where it's going wrong
    - within the jar files is a tar file (or two) - in webOS.tar, you'll find a .uimage file - novacom boot mem:// < the extracted file.uimage to get terminal access to it should you need to
    - don't be scared to blitz the store away, you can recreate it as shown here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    - recovery mode ==== not bricked. Hence the fact that I (p)ricked my TP and could fix it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Two things. Now that it's working, you could just download the 3.0.4 doctor and update it that way. For something like the question you had, and nice to see you had an error log report posted, webOS Internals would be a better forum to put that under. Nice to see you got it fixed.
    I think the 3.0.4 doctor was flawed hence my problems and odd umount issue. It's run the OTA download and verify and is now charging up to run it.

I assume point 2 is CM7....that was my desperation as I could not make progress...! I like webOS. It's smart, well thought-out and I am not rushing to go Android

I enjoyed the challenge. Like many have posted in many threads, this thing does not brick. Never back down, you'll get there in the end....
    Actually I was talking about your first post. When you're posting a problem with as great a detail as you did, you might get a little quicker response if you put it into webOS Internals forum, found here on this site.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/

Also it might be a good idea, if you think the Doctor is flawed, run it past them what you think the issue is, and maybe something can be done with it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Actually I was talking about your first post. When you're posting a problem with as great a detail as you did, you might get a little quicker response if you put it into webOS Internals forum, found here on this site.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/

Also it might be a good idea, if you think the Doctor is flawed, run it past them what you think the issue is, and maybe something can be done with it.
    gotcha. I'd not want to point fingers really, it might have been blips in the downloads (some I did over 3g) but only the 3.0.2 .jar file that came down gave me access to be able to open the webOS.tar to get the uimage file. At first, I thought it was 7-Zip at fault.....

In the end, the USB icon was possible on the screen and badda bing, the thing will live - just depends on whether it comes quietly or not!
    sledge007 likes this.