1.    #1  
    I would like to watch MKV on my touchpad and currently it is formatted to FAT32 if i formatt to NTFS will there be an issue with current apps /settings.

I have backed up my Touchpad usb to my PC just in case i wanted to know if i can formatt to NTFS and transfer all my files back and MKV 8gb movies

I am like to know if it is a good idea or not ? or will it mess up my current settings/apps

thanks
    Last edited by 999faz; 10/20/2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    IIRC someone has tried this already and it breaks USB mode.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    IIRC someone has tried this already and it breaks USB mode.
    Ok thanks then i should just compress the movie under 4GB cause FAT32 is limited to 4Gb max file transfer

i have 3 movies HD 1080I over 6gb i want to transfer to watch on the airplane
    I believe ext2 and ext3 have been recently tested to work, these are of course linux file systems so you won't be able to use them with a non linux system without special tools. I remember another thread like this recently and someone tested it and it worked

all my systems that I interact with on the TP are linux but I would rather compress the file more, makes it so I can store more data on the already tight 16/32GB of storage on the TP
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I believe ext2 and ext3 have been recently tested to work, these are of course linux file systems so you won't be able to use them with a non linux system without special tools. I remember another thread like this recently and someone tested it and it worked

all my systems that I interact with on the TP are linux but I would rather compress the file more, makes it so I can store more data on the already tight 16/32GB of storage on the TP
    Thanks i hate to try it and if i formatt and lose all my settings, i think i will compress it under 4gb using video compressor.

i thought the usb drive is like a hard drive for storage only i guess i misunderstood.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I think it would maybe be enough to downconvert to a smaller resolution. Remember, the Touchpad display is much to small to show you full 1080 anyhow...
  7.    #7  
    so if you formatt to NTFS you will mess up your TP and settings / apps

what will happen ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 999faz View Post
    so if you formatt to NTFS you will mess up your TP and settings / apps

what will happen ?
    I tried it because suddenly my TP is FAT32, so I changed it to NTFS, it deletes my stuff in /media/internal but ubuntu partition and the stuff inside are still there.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by npmt View Post
    I tried it because suddenly my TP is FAT32, so I changed it to NTFS, it deletes my stuff in /media/internal but ubuntu partition and the stuff inside are still there.
    thanks so it does work, any issue with USB transfer ?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I did not do that, but one of my friends did, he lost the applications and media files of course, but the TP restored some apps and restored the whole USB to fat32, so he did nothing instead of deleting some apps and files.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The TouchPad kernel doesn't support NTFS write, so formatting to NTFS would break internal storage functionality.

An 8GB movie on a 1024x768 screen with stereo speakers is extreme overkill. Handbrake is your friend.

Even a ~4GB H264 BluRay rip with embedded AC3 is nigh indistinguisable from the original on anything smaller than a 40" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
    The TouchPad kernel doesn't support NTFS write, so formatting to NTFS would break internal storage functionality.

An 8GB movie on a 1024x768 screen with stereo speakers is extreme overkill. Handbrake is your friend.

Even a ~4GB H264 BluRay rip with embedded AC3 is nigh indistinguisable from the original on anything smaller than a 40" screen.
    Yeah, my movies are under 1GB (thanks to handbrake) and they look phenomenal. I used a G-Tablet profile I got from one of the XDA forum threads and it was just right.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Another thing, decoding H264 is very CPU intensive, if you just encode them as ~2GB Xvid files then sure, it won't be as crisp but it'll be a lot less drain on the battery and still be close to DVD quality.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $nothing$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ $supports$ $GPU$ $assisted$ $H264$ $decoding$, $but$ $feel$ $free$ $to$ $show$ $me$ $otherwise$
    Quote Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
    Another thing, decoding H264 is very CPU intensive, if you just encode them as ~2GB Xvid files then sure, it won't be as crisp but it'll be a lot less drain on the battery and still be close to DVD quality.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $nothing$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ $supports$ $GPU$ $assisted$ $H264$ $decoding$, $but$ $feel$ $free$ $to$ $show$ $me$ $otherwise$
    Doesn't the built in video player support hardware (GPU) decoding of certain H264 formats in MP4 containers?

edit:

Just confirmed that yes, the built in video file format for the Touchpad is not xvid, it's H264 in an MP4 container.

As such, if one is re-encoding video specifically for the Touchpad, XVID should be avoided entirely. The proper target should be H264 MP4. Kalemsoft is not needed, they'll play fine in the built-in player.

See this thread for details:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html
    Last edited by Toasters; 10/20/2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Nice find. Thanks for that.

Assuming a typical ~100 minute movie is encoded with h264 with only stereo audio, then at around 1gb size it should look great on the touchpad assuming a reasonable encode resolution (I'd be tempted to encode at 512x384 and let the scaler do its thing).
    Standard DVDs should be encoded at 640x480 or 720x480 IMO. and HD movies will do great at 720p. using handbrake or whatever should allow you to get ~2gb average for 720p.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy