Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nToxik
  1.    #1  
    At work, we cannot access the WiFi network with personal devices. As such, I tether my TouchPad to my Verizon Pre 2, with the freeTether application, when I need some temporary Internet access for it. When the TouchPad makes the connection, the network activity indicator on my Pre 2 goes to active and stays that way nearly indefinitely. It stays that way so much that the Pre 2 gets very warm, and the battery discharges even though it is sitting on a Touchstone. (Weak signal is not an issue. We have full 5-bar cellular signal here via in-building cellular repeaters.)

I am fully capable of installing homebrew and patches on my TouchPad, if needed. Is there any app to install or another way to figure out what the TouchPad is doing to cause so much network activity?

Thanks!
    Pre 2 getting warm while on the Touchstone charger and while using Free Tether and still losing charge (in my case with a original Pre, very slow discharge) is normal. Tethering takes a lot of power, more than the Touchstone can keep up with. Updates in the FreeTether app has supposedly fixed the problem of having to reboot your phone to turn off FreeTether once you have finished using it. Also, open Preware and see if there are any updates for the FreeTether app.
  3.    #3  
    Updated freeTether a day or two ago, but will check again for updates.

Still questioning the very active WiFi on my TouchPad. Just want to see if something is either going wrong, or if I can get rid of the "talkative" offending program. Original question still stands: Any way to see what on the TouchPad is so actively using the network (its WiFi)?

Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    My installation of freeTether is up to date according to it not showing up for needing one in Preware.

Can anyone help me with tracking down the network activity on my TouchPad?

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    My installation of freeTether is up to date according to it not showing up for needing one in Preware.

Can anyone help me with tracking down the network activity on my TouchPad?

TIA!
    I agree, I have a 3g powered modem and I noticed in 2 hours that it did 3Gb () of traffic.

I have no idea what it's doing and could not find a network monitor for it......
  6.    #6  
    I have Xecutah installed on my TouchPad, and I managed to capture standard, no-options text log from the "tcpdump" command. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to decipher the thing very well. I do see a lot of UDP packets to/from domains where I have no idea why they would be coming from or going there. Not sure if I should upload the log here or not.
    FreeTether leaves the dhcpd running at 100% which destroys the battery, one of mine would no longer hold a charge after using FreeTether all day. Using static IPs on the TouchPad and the Pre and disabling the dhcpd helps quite a bit.
    I have MyTether installed on my PRE 1, and use it all the time. I see no excess network traffic when using it for WIFI access (it has a built in traffic monitor). In fact, it is dead quiet when used exclusively with the TP. My PC has a lot more extraneous chatter when it is connected via MyTether it. It is possible that either FreeTether may be a problem, or that one of your apps is generating the network traffic (email checking every minute etc). Hope this helps.
  9.    #9  
    @stevenlcroucher, I will give disabling dhcpd a shot and see how it goes.

@garykirk, I do have only 1 IMAP account set to recieve "as Email arrives." All others are manual. I know what the IMAP servername is, and it shows up obviously in the tcpdump output. The other servers (like some Road Runner .rr.com servers, SBC global servers, .edu servers) I have no idea why my TouchPad would be communicating with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    @stevenlcroucher, I will give disabling dhcpd a shot and see how it goes.

@garykirk, I do have only 1 IMAP account set to recieve "as Email arrives." All others are manual. I know what the IMAP servername is, and it shows up obviously in the tcpdump output. The other servers (like some Road Runner .rr.com servers, SBC global servers, .edu servers) I have no idea why my TouchPad would be communicating with them.
    I would shut down your IMAP email and then watch for traffic. I have a very simple app set on my TP, and no patches or services installed. The only out of the ordinary thing I have done to mine is is turn off logging. If you still have traffic after shutting down email, then using netstat may be the only way to identify what apps have what ports open, and that is a tedious process. Eliminating apps/patches/services might be a quicker approach. Good luck.
  11.    #11  
    Cannot find "netstat" on my TouchPad. Strange.

Will do that with IMAP. Did some digging on Google. Also going to start up a "tcpdump" and let it run for a couple of hours after I get back from my lunch this afternoon. I can then use Wireshark to analyze the dump file to see what's going on.

EDIT: @stevenlcroucher, I can't seem to figure out how to disable dhcpd in freeTether. Got pointers?
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 10/21/2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added question
  12.    #12  
    So, I was finally able to analyze the tcpdump file using WireShark. It's no wonder why my cellular network via freeTether to the TouchPad is so busy, and the battery drains so much.

During the time span that I had it running (about 2 and a half hours), my TouchPad was in network "conversations" with 158 different IP addresses. There are the usual .net and .com domains, but there are also many domains ending with .edu, .de, .jp, .ru, .au, .tw and .it characters in them.

I have no idea why my TouchPad would be talking to so many different sites? Anyone?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Skynet.
    steffej3 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Skynet.
    Crap! I'd use an E.M.P. on it, but it's probably already too late.
  15.    #15  
    Seriously, though, any ideas?