Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By slamdunksaliby
  • 3 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    In my opinion to for webOS not to die or as quickly we as a community need to:

    1. Support Android running as a card! Like the Chomper android which is being updated again soon! We should get behind this project and donate because I can just see the day where everyone is going to use cm7 and not even boot into webOS. =(

    2. Stop talking about ICS and the new windows phones replacing webOS! webOS is still its own os and we should be upset when others copy it! I think we need to support its development even more =)

    3. Be patient with the homebrew devs! Remember they have lives and they are always good at updating things as soon as possible. The more you support them, the more they will include new ideas! Like someone just came out with a theme maker on the alpha testing feeds!

    Anyways these are some opinions I have...hope no gets offended its just I wanted to get it out there :P Thanks for taking the time to read this!
  2. #2  
    It's a shame that the Android community have openly said that they have no interest in WebOS apart from providing a route to boot into it, and the WebOS community seem to get hives whenever Android is mentioned.

    The ideal solution for me would be not just Android in a card, but individual Android apps in individual cards akin to what most virtualisation solutions on the Mac do (e.g. Seamless mode on VirtualBox, Unity on VMWare). That would extend the useful life of our devices, let us drive our devices in the environment we prefer (i.e. WebOS) and let app developers gradually move to a busier ecosystem while still being able to reach us. Everyone's a winner.

    On your point 2, the reality is that any good UI idea is going to get copied as closely as competitors can get away with. Sometimes in doing so it's improved so I don't think that necessarily a bad thing. I don't think that we as end users should have to have good concepts and ideas confined to one vendor in the interests of protecting that vendor's balance sheet. For example, this Apple/Samsung thing is getting ridiculous and in an ideal world we'd all boycott both their products until they frelling grew up.

    Point three, I will confine to a simple "amen". Patience and donations, that's what they need :-)
  3.    #3  
    well yeah that would be awesome to have the apps working individually but i think chomper android is more realistic :P and yeah i know people copy its just sad that on a palm site people are saying that ics is taking over
  4. #4  
    Supporting any version of Android does not help webOS live. Supporting webOS developers and homebrewers helps webOS live.

    Let me add there is no fear of Android, if you want to use Android it doesn't affect my use of webOS. Just saying supporting any form of Android is not doing anything good for webOS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5. #5  
    I agree - supporting android as a card is a bad idea if you care about webos. If people are going to use android then they're going to use android, running android as a card is in general a bad idea anyways it would severely limit the resources available to the OS as the core of webOS already consumes a large amount of memory, functionality that couldn't be exploited from within another environment.

    Myself I will never use android, not because I don't like it, but because I don't trust google with my data. I do trust HP with it though since I know they don't have the ability to use it against me like google does.

    If you want to support WebOS - then buy as many apps as you can and donate as much as possible.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I agree - supporting android as a card is a bad idea if you care about webos. If people are going to use android then they're going to use android, running android as a card is in general a bad idea anyways it would severely limit the resources available to the OS as the core of webOS already consumes a large amount of memory, functionality that couldn't be exploited from within another environment.

    Myself I will never use android, not because I don't like it, but because I don't trust google with my data. I do trust HP with it though since I know they don't have the ability to use it against me like google does.

    If you want to support WebOS - then buy as many apps as you can and donate as much as possible.
    good point but either way people will go to android at least sometimes because of the variety of apps...and im just saying the card versions is like the less of two evils per say
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Supporting any version of Android does not help webOS live. Supporting webOS developers and homebrewers helps webOS live.

    Let me add there is no fear of Android, if you want to use Android it doesn't affect my use of webOS. Just saying supporting any form of Android is not doing anything good for webOS.
    This is a bit of a chicken and an egg situation - in many areas, you simply can't support the developers because they don't exist, there are many apps where there is currently no working WebOS replacement, so now the option is there, I end up support android out of necessity.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is a bit of a chicken and an egg situation - in many areas, you simply can't support the developers because they don't exist, there are many apps where there is currently no working WebOS replacement, so now the option is there, I end up support android out of necessity.
    I dont mind android being supported because its open source...im just saying it should be implemented into webOS somehow
  9. #9  
    Seems to me Android wins simply on the number of apps it brings to the table - and that will never ever change. I think to extend the longevity of WebOS, developers would need to focus on just a few key applications and utilities and really make them shine. Pick the battles set priorities...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Supporting any version of Android does not help webOS live. Supporting webOS developers and homebrewers helps webOS live.

    Let me add there is no fear of Android, if you want to use Android it doesn't affect my use of webOS. Just saying supporting any form of Android is not doing anything good for webOS.
    I love webOS on my Touchpad.

    Having said that, I don't webOS can survivie much longer if no manufacturer
    is willing to start building webOS devices(phones, tablets, printers, fridges,
    or whatever). The number of existing webOS devices is a fixed number, or
    however many HP has manufactured up until now. No growth in the user
    base is the fastest way to kill off webOS.
  11.    #11  
    the simplicity and multitasking for webOS is unmatched in my opinion. The reason why ubuntu and android are in cards are to have more options...android should not be a default on webOS devices because of it laggyness and non-simplicity
  12. midas69's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    the simplicity and multitasking for webOS is unmatched in my opinion. The reason why ubuntu and android are in cards are to have more options...android should not be a default on webOS devices because of it laggyness and non-simplicity
    Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

    I went down this same path with OS/2 many years ago. For those not aware, OS/2 was a far superior operating system than Windows 95 and Windows 3.1. When it was released, OS/2 could run 90% of apps written for Windows 3.1. IBM (owners of OS/2) had the rights to also create an engine that could run Win95 apps.

    They chose not to do it. Their logic was that, as long as OS/2 could run Win95 apps, nobody would bother writing OS/2 apps. And they were right. Unfortunately because OS/2 couldn't run Win95 apps, very few people bought it. And since the installed base was so low, nobody wanted to invest resources to write OS/2 apps either. And OS/2 simply withered away never to be heard from again.

    There is no doubt webOS is the best OS of any tablet OS out there. But I fought the war once sticking to the best OS. I fought war of Betamax vs VHS. I'm not fighting that war again.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

    I went down this same path with OS/2 many years ago. For those not aware, OS/2 was a far superior operating system than Windows 95 and Windows 3.1. When it was released, OS/2 could run 90% of apps written for Windows 3.1. IBM (owners of OS/2) had the rights to also create an engine that could run Win95 apps.

    They chose not to do it. Their logic was that, as long as OS/2 could run Win95 apps, nobody would bother writing OS/2 apps. And they were right. Unfortunately because OS/2 couldn't run Win95 apps, very few people bought it. And since the installed base was so low, nobody wanted to invest resources to write OS/2 apps either. And OS/2 simply withered away never to be heard from again.

    There is no doubt webOS is the best OS of any tablet OS out there. But I fought the war once sticking to the best OS. I fought war of Betamax vs VHS. I'm not fighting that war again.
    You definitely have some good points considering the history....I guess we all hope that history doesnt repeat itself this time :P The os with the most content will win according to history no matter how good the actual os is...thats why apple is winning with their app store.

Posting Permissions