• 1 Post By Soorma
  • 1 Post By c000
  • 1 Post By matchqq
  • 1 Post By Xeron
  • 1 Post By shanpalm61
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys

I just ordered a New 32gb TP from Ebay
    Not entirely sure what to expect but the touchpad seems like great value for money
    and looks to have a more workable and interesting GUI than the Ipad (which I've just sold)
    I never really used apps on the Ipad, I mainly used it for Web browsing and Email.

Any advice on things I should/shouldn't do when I get the device would be appreciated.
    I've read loads about the tablet over the past few days whilst deciding to buy it and there have been comments about modifications, ways of speeding it up and even updating the OS.

Thanks

D1PKK
    Hi d1pkk, and Welcome to PreCentral!

Best advice is to start reading the following thread to get yourself ready:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    OMG.......

I think I may just keep it as it is and perform the updates as recommended.
    I'm not that technically minded.

If anything, I may just adjust/clear the logging as recommended in a few threads.

As for patches etc.. I wouldn't want to risk getting it wrong and being stuck
    Quote Originally Posted by d1pkk View Post
    OMG.......

I think I may just keep it as it is and perform the updates as recommended.
    I'm not that technically minded.

If anything, I may just adjust/clear the logging as recommended in a few threads.

As for patches etc.. I wouldn't want to risk getting it wrong and being stuck
    Hey, welcome to the PreCentral and webOS. I know you will enjoy this experience!

You may not be technically minded but it is very easy to apply patches, etc and in a few weeks you will be curious enough to turn on developer mode, install preware, etc.

Welcome!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    don't expect perfection. But if you can get around the quirks, then it is pretty decent. I have really grown to love the cards system. Its very fluid. Good news is there are a lot of patches that resolve a lot of exiting issues.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    1. I would strongly suggest you to install different kind of patches to customize/optimize your TP bcs they are powerful, safe and easy to set up. Check the get started thread to learn about it. But you might need to wait a little before you can I stall the patches since the new webOS 3.0.4 just out.

2. Avoid drop your TP, since cracked case is a common problem of TP. Dropping it might just accelerate its developing. And since its a pain to send back to HP for repair(very long waiting and not satisfying repair according to the member experiences).

3. Look out for app promo code giveaway every week. You should be receiving the weekly news letter if you have choose so when you sign up your webOS account on your TP the first time. You will need to obtain this giveaway news fast bcs they are gone fast.

4. You can have android and webOS dual boot by installing CM7 android. It's in alpha 2.1 testing phase so you can wait until a more stable beta release if you like to play safe and not so thirsty for android, like me. :-)

5. Show your support to the community by donating to webOS internals, CM team or buying apps from app catalog. Especially is donating to webOS internals, they have been great on making our webOS experience much more joyful since the beginning and we will definitely need them when the webOS apocalypse comes.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    If you really only want it for web and email, its probably better to not install CM7, since it makes large changes to the device.

If you're curious about android, or need an app that webOS doesn't have, then by all means go for it.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    If that's your use case, then you'll love the TP and won't regret leaving the iPad world. I switched from iPad to Android to WebOS for my tablet device and the TP is a much nicer experience than either. I am also not an app fiend, my use case is much like yours plus video (which Kalemsoft does nicely) so I am well sorted with the TP. Ipad got given to my father, Android tablets sold and haven't looked back.

Actually, that last bit isn't entirely true. I did install the CM7 alpha and I did also install the Ubuntu chroot. The latter is particularly handy. I haven't actually found anything Android side that's kept me there longer than a half hour tinkering exercise. American chappies seem to obsess about this Netflix thing but as a Brit I find our killer streaming site - BBC iPlayer - works superbly WebOS side.

As an old Palm head and someone who's used Pres as a main phone for a while now, I do envy you the initial "this bloody rocks" reaction to WebOS :-)
  9.    #9  
    Thanks guys

The unit was dispatched today so I should have it in the morning
    I've read up on preware and it seems pretty straight forward so I'll install that and minimize logging (even have a youtube video bookmarked on how to do it with a Mac)

also purchased this case today
    iPad Folio from knomo: Official Store | Soft Black Blue Leather |iPad Case | iPad Cover | Apple Accessories

This is an Ipad 1 case which usually retails for 80 but I got one from ebay for 20 brand new so I figured its worth a try. There are a couple of people on the web saying theirs fit the Knomo case perfectly.
  10.    #10  
    btw... if anyone is looking for a case, the knomo stuff is really high quality

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I made an offer of 20 and the seller accepted it.
    I'll let you know tomorrow on how it fits and feels
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    btw... if anyone is looking for a case, the knomo stuff is really high quality

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I made an offer of 20 and the seller accepted it.
    I'll let you know tomorrow on how it fits and feels
    Checked out the Knomo case on the above ebay link...It's an ipad case and covers the whole bezel area which would be a problem since in the tp the upswipe from bezel gesture and the side swipes from bezel in the browser(after patches) will get inhibited. I would suggest the official HP case.

PSS- (I have a case which covers the bezel area and is very annoying)
  12.    #12  
    Damn, didn't think of that... I already bought the case now
    and even picked it up from the seller... Its a really well made case and the leather is of high quality.

I'll see how it goes when the TP arrives tomorrow.. Might just use this case to store it in when I'm on the move etc.
  13.    #13  
    Raj

Case fits Perfectly!
    sleep button, volume rocker, charging port and speakers are not covered.

The TP just updated itself, I switched logging off and I have to say that I'm
    really happy with the purchase, its a bloody good tablet.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Raj

Case fits Perfectly!
    sleep button, volume rocker, charging port and speakers are not covered.

The TP just updated itself, I switched logging off and I have to say that I'm
    really happy with the purchase, its a bloody good tablet.

Welcome aboard... I too love the tablet and WebOS.

So, can you upswipe from any orientation to minimise a card (with the knomo case on the TP) without issues?

Home button does the job too, but the upswipe is what makes the experience way more intuitive and elegant.

Also in certain apps (like the advanced browser, patched stock browser and patched adobe reader) have 'sideswipe from bezel' gestures which again make the experience really intuitive.
    Welcome to our family! Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions because there isn't any here if you are a person wanting to learn. I've been a nooby for a year and a half and have enjoyed every second of it. Listen to the pro's here and donate when you can. Have fun and share your experiences with us.
    shanpalm61
    Soorma likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rajstruck View Post
    Welcome aboard... I too love the tablet and WebOS.

So, can you upswipe from any orientation to minimise a card (with the knomo case on the TP) without issues?

Home button does the job too, but the upswipe is what makes the experience way more intuitive and elegant.

Also in certain apps (like the advanced browser, patched stock browser and patched adobe reader) have 'sideswipe from bezel' gestures which again make the experience really intuitive.
    Yes, There is a access to the bezel area
    (only because you can secure the TP in with the velcro strip)

The case has a really high quality feel to it and is great protection
    I'll post a few pictures tomorrow for you.