Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    So after my TP updated itself to 3.0.4, the overclocking and most of the patches no longer work even though they do show up in Preware. I went ahead and deleted some of the patches but not sure if i should delete the rest and then re-install them. After looking for some info on this matter. Here is what I found from Ian that sums it up really nicely for those that are thinking about whether to delete the patches or not:

"Just so it's absolutely clear (not that people won't continue to do it anyway), but you
    do not need to uninstall *any* of your patches. New versions of them will show up
    as updates in Preware as they become available in the next few days to a week or so.

Patches, by definition are modifications to the existing code, which means that
    after any new official WebOS release, the Homebrew developers have to root
    around in the source code of the various apps, re-create their patches, test,
    and re-release with a new version 3.0.4.x version number.
    In the meantime, Preware will show that your 3.0.2 patches are still installed,
    but they really aren't. They're just placeholders to remind you and Preware
    which ones you had installed before. When new 3.0.4.x versions of the patches
    become available, they'll show up as updates in Preware, you then allow it to install
    them and you're done.

If you remove the old patches manually you'll have to remember all
    that you had and start over from scratch."

Ian-

So there's your answer. I'm going to wait with anticipation for our generous Homebrew developers to do their magic to help us enjoy our TPs even more with webOS 3.0.4 installed.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    jdesign and fahed2000 like this.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I uninstalled mine prior to updating.

But glad its simple to leave them.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I uninstalled mine with no regrets. I wanted to see what the TP was like with the new patch and no add-ons.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGI_Ram View Post

haha...same here...this info would've been useful in the original thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    I uninstalled mine with no regrets. I wanted to see what the TP was like with the new patch and no add-ons.
    Same here. I wanted it to be clean as well as see what 3.0.4 is like, then I can add back just what I need, no harm done just requires a bit of patience to wait for patch updates but that applies either way.
    I've done a few and now I cannot find the remove ripple patch :-(
    Actually, Rod Whitby (webOS Internals) said the exact opposite thing in Twitter today:

Before you update to 3.0.4, you should remove any themes, update saved packages list, run EPR to remove patches and wait for the all clear.

Removing patches is usually an optional step, although there are often a couple of patches that need it. In general AUPT works as expected.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I did not have that many, removed all before updating to 3.0.4.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually, Rod Whitby said the exact opposite thing in Twitter today:
    Hmm, I guess I will wait for a more definitive answer. 3.0.4 popped up as an update but I will hold off until I found out whether or not patches+kernels need to be uninstalled prior to updating
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    Hmm, I guess I will wait for a more definitive answer. 3.0.4 popped up as an update but I will hold off until I found out whether or not patches+kernels need to be uninstalled prior to updating
    Rod is the definitive answer.
    fxspec06 and geekpeter like this.
    Actually, Rod Whitby (webOS Internals) said the exact opposite thing in Twitter today:

Not the EXACT opposite. What he said was:
    JayCanuck - "remove kernels and themes. Patches should be fine, but feel free to uninstall them too if ya like"
    Last edited by texasflood; 10/19/2011 at 07:58 PM.
    What I quoted above was from his feed today. I didn't see the other quote you posted. The phones have had no issues with the AUPT patches... but because the tablet is a not the same as the phone OS, he did post the suggestion.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    I didn't delete any of my patches. But they are still in preware. I will just leave them alone.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    What I quoted above was from his feed today. I didn't see the other quote you posted. The phones have had no issues with the AUPT patches... but because the tablet is a not the same as the phone OS, he did post the suggestion.
    OK, guess I lost the plot as to who was being quoted where. At any rate I personally chose to remove kernel, themes AND patches to err on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by thurman View Post
    I didn't delete any of my patches. But they are still in preware. I will just leave them alone.
    You should be safe since they are AUPT... as the patches and apps get updated, Preware will let you know the updates are available to download and install.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thankfully I read this thread. I was wondering where stuff went and why ripple was back.
    im having flashbacks from 2+ years ago. lol
    retroblu likes this.
    I only have like 2 patches... so meh.

Thanks for the advice though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Preware stopped working on my TP after the update. Just did a full system wipe to fix it. No big deal, I will wait until the patches and kernals are reissued. The update is quite good by it's self. ( except auto correct is goofy)
    updated to 3.0.4 last night without removing patches or kernels and have had no problems. I did have to reload moboot to enable the CM7 dual boot. Of course the patches and kernels didn't work but that will soon be fixed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast