Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    This has happened to me twice all happening when I get it off the charger from the night before. Restart fixes it. Never happened until 3.04 :/
    got it a few times well now... I'm standby-ing a lot now. May be that's why?
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    For me it happens reasonably after charging, while coming up from standby. For some reason nearly always around the 80% battery mark... not sure if that's significant or not.

Also of note... I discovered that the automatic backup service had run just minutes prior... I'll have to check the timestamp on that faster next time to see if that has anything to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
    well after hours and hours I can confirm that it isn't preware or any of the patches. :/ I wasn't looking to blame preware, the point was that if the problem was homebrew related it would be far easier to identify and solve, don't get all defensive.

I'm at a loss, seems this is a bug with the update itself. Now the question is... Can we make our own fix? Or do we have to wait for HP? I guess to answer that we'd need a better understanding of what causes the problem in the first place. :/

Anyways I tried! Sorry my theories didn't pan out!
    I think it is awesome you're troubleshooting, most wouldn't bother. I have been trying to recreate it and I finally gave up. It will go days, then it surfaces again. Best wishes to everyone effected, hope this issue gets resolved soon.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    I think it is awesome you're troubleshooting, most wouldn't bother. I have been trying to recreate it and I finally gave up. It will go days, then it surfaces again. Best wishes to everyone effected, hope this issue gets resolved soon.
    Don't shoot the messenger, but I just finished a webOS mobile Chat with HP. The chat rep "Griffen" says that HP has acknowledged the problem and stated the engineering team is working the problem. He suggested that I perform the "Erase Apps and Data" function. When I pressed him for certainty, "Is this a bandaid or known fix", his response was try it once and if it still persists get back to us. I guess the question is, has anyone performed this function with success? If I missed the response on a previous page I apologize. Also, no response to whether this is a bug associated with v3.0.4
    Quote Originally Posted by riprock22 View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger, but I just finished a webOS mobile Chat with HP. The chat rep "Griffen" says that HP has acknowledged the problem and stated the engineering team is working the problem. He suggested that I perform the "Erase Apps and Data" function. When I pressed him for certainty, "Is this a bandaid or known fix", his response was try it once and if it still persists get back to us. I guess the question is, has anyone performed this function with success? If I missed the response on a previous page I apologize. Also, no response to whether this is a bug associated with v3.0.4
    Yeeash... I really hope that isn't the fix. Count me out! I'm not losing my game progress. Someone else can test that one .
    Quote Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
    Yeeash... I really hope that isn't the fix. Count me out! I'm not losing my game progress. Someone else can test that one .
    yah....me too....iv played waaaaay too much robotek for that to even be a possibility. F..you HP.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Same problem on TP after 3.0.4. Making a call from TP via Bluetooth through Palm Pre eliminated the scratchy sound immediately. Not sure how long this will last.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    From what I've read on this forum and from my own experiences with this sound distortion problem, I'm guessing that specific apps are the cause. Since I don't have a lot of important saves, and the ones I do have are backed up via save/restore, I will try the "Erase Apps and Data" function and possibly another Doctor and leave my TP totally clean and see if it happens before downloading/installing any apps from the catalog

I'll post how it goes
    happened again today at 83% battery.
    automatic backup had not ran.

I really have no idea what's causing this... the only thing that's the same each time is the approximate battery level.
    I too have had the distorted audio problem after update. However, while distorting on TP speakers, it does not distort on my home stereo while paired up to my Ultra Music Gateway. This was interesting to me. Shut down restart fixes my speakers like others here and it is happening more often now like others too. Hope HP fixes soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomisunrider View Post
    This has fixed it for me.

A full device restart also corrects it.
    Glad it worked for you also. My audio issue did return but it took me 10 seconds to fix it again. Annoying but at least I don't have to do a full reset and waste 2-3 minutes.

also, for those of you who tried this method and it didn't work, you might have to lock and unlock a few times while audio is playing. So far, this has worked for me 100%.
    I too have been experiencing this problem... It has happened on several occasions even after a device and luna restart (since 3.0.4).

I decided to see what patches I had installed that looked to change the sound one way or another and realised I had 'Quiet powered Messages', 'No vibrate or sound on messaging send' and 'Hide VoiceMail Button' (decided i weren't using this anyway) installed. I have now removed these and restarted the device and so far (jinx touch wood), not experienced this problem.

I will reply again in a couple of days either way. In the mean time it would be interesting if any of the others experiencing this problem also has this patch or a sound affecting patch installed.
    Last edited by kat_rq; 10/31/2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: missed out additional patches removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kat_rq View Post
    I too have been experiencing this problem... It has happened on several occasions even after a device and luna restart (since 3.0.4).

I decided to see what patches I had installed that looked to change the sound one way or another and realised I had 'Quiet powered Messages', 'No vibrate or sound on messaging send' and 'Hide VoiceMail Button' (decided i weren't using this anyway) installed. I have now removed these and restarted the device and so far (jinx touch wood), not experienced this problem.

I will reply again in a couple of days either way. In the mean time it would be interesting if any of the others experiencing this problem also has this patch or a sound affecting patch installed.
    I don't have any of above patches but have the same problem, it is not from the patch, there is something else...
    stock touchpads are doing this. Stock meaning, straight out of the box with no homebrew patches. Preware not even installed. Not to mention those of us that ran epr,prior to updating, also experienced the sound distortion.

its HP's handy work that is the problem. Something they overlooked, or a glitch, either way, I suspect homebrew will find a solution[ a patch hopefully to fix it] before HP will fix this. The good news is a member posted a way to clear out the static sound by
    pushing the power button when audio is playing, then wait for it to clear and reopen the card. I did this playing the NES app, music went whacko, pushed power button, it cleared after a few seconds, then opened the tp again.a lot faster then a full restart.

FWIW, I've had it happen quite a few times when I sent the TP to sleep with active SMB shares, sometimes only for a few minutes.

Also, it's not "distorted" sound, but rather a very, very low bitrate output.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    This sound crackling happened to me for the first time ever, last night. I updated my firmware last week and the sound has been fine since until then, so I don't know if it is related?

Like many have said before, rebooting works! However I did notice something odd...

When testing the volume controls, I noticed that the on screen volume indicator was stuck in portrait mode even though the image was in landscape. My tests were against youtube vids (both full-screen standard view, and NFS hot pursuit.

This appeared to be because the desktop was still running in portrait mode behind the app itself. For instance, I would turn the TP into landscape and launch NFS-HP, the game would launch but when pressing the volume rocker the on screen indicator would be in portrait view. When entering the card view I would find the whole desktop would be in portrait and then change back after a split second.

It is also worth noting that ALL open cards would remain in landscape mode as the rest of the desktop rotated.

Rebooting resolved both issues but it did make me wonder how closely related they both were? Could the confused volume controls be affecting volume out-put of the speakers and could having the desktop restarted itself resolved the issue?

I realise that this idea does sound very much akin to adjusting your TVs contrast because the sound is too quite, lol. But it did make me wonder.
    Last edited by MINKIN2; 10/31/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    I have had no issues with the sound be distorted since updating to 3.0.4, when it was first released. I only experienced today, when I removed for the first time from the touchstone charger (normally leave on the stand and use), and now distortion has occurred twice. Only way to resolve is a reboot. Not sure if it has something to do with battery drain or just a coincidence?
    I'm curious if the webkit upgrades are related..

my TP has this problem. I doctored back to 3.0.2 and it went away - but then I had the Pulse Audio issues.

So i'm back to 3.0.4 again and i'm just doing hard restarts every once in a while.
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    Like Vella said, stock (as mine is), preware, over clocked, it does not matter. The problem started with everyone after the 3.0.4 update. It's HP's deal period.
    vella_ likes this.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast