Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I was excited about the early X-mas present from the webOS team in the form of 3.0.4 update but wanted to wait to see the feedback from others. Most of all, I was waiting for the F15c overclocking kernel to be updated. This morning, I put my TP on the touchstone charger and low and behold, the TP updated to 3.0.4! I didn't even noticed it because I had the HP case closed.
    Anyway, so far so good. I do noticed that it's no longer overclocking and it's running a bit slower than when i overclocked it to 1.8Ghz. Preware gives an error mssg whenever i start it. Gonah still works. Can't wait for the F15c kernal to get updated for this new firmware along with all the usual patches!
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I noticed that the update was presented to me yesterday, automatically. I knew if I did nothing, it would auto update, so I removed all patches, and the Uberkernel. Then forced the update.

Now I await the patches and Uberkernel to become compatible.

I don't remeber having to remove patches, or patches not working, when updates came to the Pre-.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    kataran likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by T2T3 View Post
    So I was excited about the early X-mas present from the webOS team in the form of 3.0.4 update but wanted to wait to see the feedback from others. Most of all, I was waiting for the F15c overclocking kernel to be updated. This morning, I put my TP on the touchstone charger and low and behold, the TP updated to 3.0.4! I didn't even noticed it because I had the HP case closed.
    Anyway, so far so good. I do noticed that it's no longer overclocking and it's running a bit slower than when i overclocked it to 1.8Ghz. Preware gives an error mssg whenever i start it. Gonah still works. Can't wait for the F15c kernal to get updated for this new firmware along with all the usual patches!
    My TP also updated itself overnight, even though I specifically told it not to install when the download first completed.

D*mn you, HP.

Its my TP, and you have to give me the CHOICE of how/when I want to update the OS on it.

Now all my Preware patches etc, dont work.
    shanpalm61 and lar3ry like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by T2T3 View Post
    Yup. Happened to me too.
    I had the update ready to be installed message. And I let it install and it said update successful. But it wasn't really updated as all my old patches were still working.

So I went into the settings and use System update and it updated correctly. It took much longer to update and install than the previous one.
    So if I revert to 3.02 it will still update anyway even if I don't want 3.04?
    I noticed upon placing my TP on touchstone that it says it will automatically do the update in 30 minutes. Tried telling it to do it later but it comes back to the same screen that it will be performed in 30 minutes. I took it off the touchstone and plugged it up with the wall charger and that message did not come back up. So if you don't want to do the update right now, you might want to avoid using the touchstone charger. I think I am going to wait a while....seems to be too many issues.
  8.    #8  
    the only issue i seem to be having after updating is that it's slower than when I had it overclocked to 1.8Ghz....but i'm hoping to overclock it again as soon as the F15c kernel is updated.
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    My TP also updated itself overnight, even though I specifically told it not to install when the download first completed.

D*mn you, HP.

Its my TP, and you have to give me the CHOICE of how/when I want to update the OS on it.

Can you confirm that you hit install later every single time the device presented the option on whether or not to install the update now or later?

The device gives the choice to you, but doesn't mean you will always be available to see that choice. There are times (such as brown outs) that the device will present this option and you may not see it.

So in essence your welcome for giving you the choice of how/when you want to update the OS on your TouchPad.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Can you confirm that you hit install later every single time the device presented the option on whether or not to install the update now or later?

The device gives the choice to you, but doesn't mean you will always be available to see that choice. There are times (such as brown outs) that the device will present this option and you may not see it.

So in essence your welcome for giving you the choice of how/when you want to update the OS on your TouchPad.
    HBZ,

Yes. Everytime I was given the choice (once, when the download first completed, last night), I said "Install Later".

After that, the Update Notification kept itself alive in the Notification Bar, even when I tried to "swype" it away, like I can/could with other notifications.

It didnt ask me to install it again, so I figured that I could/would hold off for a few days, till things got updated.

Put the TP to charge overnight, and went to zzzz.

Got up this morning, and to my "horror", the Update had installed.

At no point did I say/select/click a YES/INSTALL.

So proper protocol says that there shouldnt have been any way HP allows the update to install, without my AFFIRMATIVE action.
    HBZ,

Yes. Everytime I was given the choice (once, when the download first completed, last night), I said "Install Later".

After that, the Update Notification kept itself alive in the Notification Bar, even when I tried to "swype" it away, like I can/could with other notifications.

It didnt ask me to install it again, so I figured that I could/would hold off for a few days, till things got updated.

Put the TP to charge overnight, and went to zzzz.

Got up this morning, and to my "horror", the Update had installed.

At no point did I say/select/click a YES/INSTALL.

So proper protocol says that there shouldnt have been any way HP allows the update to install, without my AFFIRMATIVE action.
    By placing it on a charger you are presented with an option again asking you would like to install the update now or later. By not telling the device to install later you are giving your affirmation that you would like it installed now.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

D*mn you, HP.

I'm still fighting it!! Its like a chess game between me and the updater... Yes I know I will loose soon as it keeps trying to trick me. Its almost like being forced to wear a seatbelt in my car!! They have taken my rights away once again, but I tricked them first, I wore my seatbelt before they forced me to.... All kidding aside, ya... What the heck HP let us upgrade when we want and quit shoving it down our right to choose. Isn't there a law or something... Oh well back to the bad coffee and my chess game.... WEBOSOS!
    Last edited by shanpalm61; 10/19/2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed a word
    I think the peeps over in programming dept got that one backwards, IMO. Default should NOT be to "go ahead and install it even if I don't want it".

Please advise them to seriously consider changing the default to "Later".

(did they come for M$ or something? )

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I think the peeps over in programming dept got that one backwards, IMO. Default should NOT be to "go ahead and install it even if I don't want it".

Please advise them to seriously consider changing the default to "Later".

(did they come for M$ or something? )

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    So let's take a step back as just being someone who doesn't want to install the update and look at it like this. Why wouldn't we want you to update it? If we put the default as later, we are basically telling you as a consumer we don't really want you to install this update so just you know if you want do it.

As a developer for pretty much any application or software if I put out an update for something I want my users to be on it. The latest and greatest might not be the greatest for YOU individually, but for the masses it is great.

In other words the default will never change to "later", we want you on the latest version (thus you can't find (legally) older versions of webOS).

As a side note we have met all legal requirements in regards to updates and providing options just fyi.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Well mine has gone ahead and tried to update itself and its buggered it! Came home to a www.palm.com/ROM screen so currently going through the web OS doctor. Not happy
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMagic81 View Post
    Well mine has gone ahead and tried to update itself and its buggered it! Came home to a www.palm.com/ROM screen so currently going through the web OS doctor. Not happy

ok its back. Everything has gone but at least i dont have a brick!
    Are these really autoupdating or is the update button just being inadvertently pressed? I mean it does pop up a lot and would be easy to hit without meaning to, damn near did it myself?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    If you do not press the "Install Later" button, it will automatically install.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I had the same experience - I saw that the update had been downloaded last evening and it prompted me to install, which I did not pick, instead choosing 'Install later'. However, I left it on the Touchstone for a while at night and when I checked this morning, I noticed the tap ripple and realized it had autoupdated itself.

No harm done though - everything works fine (Facebook would not connect until I rebooted, though). I'll just wait for the patches (which I'd left enabled) are fixed. It does seem snappier and browser rendering seems noticeably faster on the sites I visit.
    I put my HP in the Touchstone in it's HP case in Aircraft mode w/ WiFi off and it still installed 3.04 and I was sure surprised this morning to see that webOS 3.04 was on my Touchpad...
    Heck, even MicroSoft gives you an option on updates..... Go figure.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast