Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    turn off your wireless if you don't want it automatically updated. Turn it back on when its in use, my other halfs updated while charging. I turn off my wireless when I'm not using mine. I'm waiting on homebrew.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I did this to block updates:

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

Not sure if it will work with the TP specifically... hopefully it will...
    mine didnt update overnight. i survived. no prompts this morning either
    HP SMB: TP 32GB Confirmed 8/21 :: Delivered 10/19
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    mine updated overnight - i made sure i remove the OC left all the patches and it still working flawless, I say remove OC and update leave everything the way it is all my APPs - settings still there. So i have no complaints. people having problem with OC kernel has conflicts updating and overwrite stock Kernel
    Mine did not update overnight, either. I charge via USB port, and in fact, I was charging while using it last night and it was fine, same this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper88 View Post
    ive been selecting "update later" was working till i plugged it then it updated itself...boooo!
    +1

I was gonna wait a week or two to update to ensure homebrew has time to push out the patch updates but like a lot of others I was force fed the update.

What are the steps I should follow now to ensure my TP continues to work properly?

I had my TP overclocked to 1.5 is there anyway to get that working again or am I stuck with setting that came with the update?

Thanks
    I had my TP shutdown and pryed the battery out and it still updated :-)

joking aside i removed patches and updated no biggie
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    This gives me some concern. I just installed the Glass Theme, and I would not want my TP to auto update in the future with the theme installed....
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 10/20/2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Hello everyone

I had my TP set up with some preware patches, the uberkernal and OC'ed to 1.5GHz.

Saw that there was 3.0.4 but told the TP not to install it.

This morning I put my TP to charge via wall socket, saw the notifcation about the OS update and told it Install later (the open option).

Checked my TP before I left for work and I saw the screen blank with the exclamation icon and www.palm.com/OS (I think)

So I had to download the new WebDoctor. Should be downloaded by the time I get home.

I wonder why this happened. I was simply going wait say maybe till next week for the patches on preware to be updated and then get the update.
    Wonder why the TP went ahead and did the install.

Question, now that I have to use Webdoctor to re-install, what will I lose? The photos I had setup? All the accounts I had linked via Synergy? What about apps I purchased such as Incredible and Flickr Mundo etc....
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    It is not "bricked". "Bricked" means it is done, cannot fix, zippo, nada, throw it in the trash or use as a coaster.
    hard reboot everything back to normal. i did the same thing to me but i made sure i change the OC to palm default left all the patches, No problem everything up and running smooth.
  12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Same here. Now I can't use TP for work until Mimic Outlook Formatting patch is updated. Also, my email accounts got rearranged on the left bar, and my default email account is now 2/3 of the way down the list and can't be moved. ****ing annoying.

I love that updates are still coming, but when you rely on homebrew patches, it would be nice to be able to wait.
    Hard Reboot?

I did try unplugging the AC power and holding down the power button but it did not turn off.

Yes I know it is not bricked per say that's why I wrote "bricked"

What really got me puzzled is why it went ahead and did the update when I told it not to.
    If I was going to do the update I would have gone back to the default kernel or at least not the OC'ed profile on the Uberkernel.

Thanks for your replies.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I've heard all this stuff about being able to reboot/fix your TP if it ever becomes 'bricked', so does this mean the TP can never actually get 'BRICKED'? Since you can just use webdoctor to reboot it?
    i will pm you the conversation i had with a women at HP who fixed it for me
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Not necessarily. Proper education on how something works doesn't necessarily mean something is broken or becomes broken. Every new version of Windows and/or Mac comes with new elements, features, changes, that require user education on how the software works and functions, that does not mean that every change, except the original is all broken.

The only difference here is nothing changed from 1.x to 3.x the software is still the same. The UI and functionality behaves the same way it did launch day as it does today.
    So lets look at this. The update UI presents users with 2 option:

1. "Install now". This one is pretty obvious.
    2. "Install later". What does this mean? Does this mean I'll see this same reminder "later"? That would be my default assumption. Or does it mean the TP will automatically install the update "later" without asking me again? If so, then when is "later"? What if I want to perform some app compat research first and therefore want to wait awhile, presumably a week or more, before updating? Which button do I press then?

Clearly, there are a lot of very important questions the "update available" UI doesn't answer. The UI is broken.
    Mine did the same thing, i had forgotten to disable all the patches, and my TP auto updated itself. when i got back to it i had a exclamation mark and the Palm.com/rom link on it. downloaded the new Doctor, ran it, and it restored my TP to 3.0.4, and then redownloaded all my apps when i logged into my webos account. obviously it didn't reenable preware or any of the patches. It did however keep all my photos and music that i had on there (not much), but i lost all the settings for programs, like my progress in Angry Birds or other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyTriGuy View Post
    So lets look at this. The update UI presents users with 2 option:

1. "Install now". This one is pretty obvious.
    2. "Install later". What does this mean? Does this mean I'll see this same reminder "later"? That would be my default assumption. Or does it mean the TP will automatically install the update "later" without asking me again? If so, then when is "later"? What if I want to perform some app compat research first and therefore want to wait awhile, presumably a week or more, before updating? Which button do I press then?

Clearly, there are a lot of very important questions the "update available" UI doesn't answer. The UI is broken.
    To provide you with your answers to your questions

"Install later". What does this mean?
    Install later means that it you would like to have the opportunity to install the update at a later time.
    Does this mean I'll see this same reminder "later"?
    Yes. This same reminder will be presented to you again before any update is installed.
    Or does it mean the TP will automatically install the update "later" without asking me again?
    No. The device will not just update without first presenting you with the chance / opportunity to hit install later.
    If so, then when is "later"
    Later is at the next time the system feels will be an ideal time for you to perform the update. This will come after placing on a charger since usually you will not be using the device during this time and can perform the update and / or after a restart since the device automatically will perform this check after a restart.
    What if I want to perform some app compat research first and therefore want to wait awhile, presumably a week or more, before updating?
    If you would like to do research and check compatibility then you can do so, be sure to press install later each and every time you are presented with the option.
    Which button do I press then?
    Install later

You may feel like the UI is broken because it doesn't work the way YOU want it to work, however your feels do not indicate whether or not the UI works. The UI is working as intended and correctly. I have previously offered in this thread a place where users who do not feel like the UI is the best to present their constructive feedback, however pandering on that the UI is "clearly broken" because you don't agree with the system is a pointless conversation.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherbarran View Post
    What really got me puzzled is why it went ahead and did the update when I told it not to.
    If I was going to do the update I would have gone back to the default kernel or at least not the OC'ed profile on the Uberkernel.
    When an update has downloaded and your device (Pre or Touchapd) is connected to power and idle, the update will install itself. There is even a message when the updated is ready saying that it will wait for idle time (when I get home I can post a screen shot of the message). Pre's, at one time had a patch to keep this from happening.
    .....you guys...they got me. I turned off my tp and my wireless....still got me...another one bites the dust...

damn you tap ripple! Ugh...just ugh...
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast