Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    By placing it on a charger you are presented with an option again asking you would like to install the update now or later. By not telling the device to install later you are giving your affirmation that you would like it installed now.
    Pardon my language, but thats BULL CR*P.

UNLESS I *affirmatively* press YES or INSTALL, *nothing should install*.

I close the "flap" of my case, and set it to charge. THATS IT. I did *NOT* give my affirmation to anything to be installed.

The dialog box should remain on the screen, asking me what I want to do.

These things are not designed to be used by children, that dont understand what they are doing.

One can make the YES/Install button bigger, if you want to encourage the end user to install the update.

But the way this was handled where there are a TON of *customers* that would have liked to have WAITED for a few days/weeks to get the update, is IMHO, *IRRESPONSIBLE* for a company like HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post

I close the "flap" of my case, and set it to charge. THATS IT. I did *NOT* give my affirmation to anything to be installed.

These things are not designed to be used by children, that dont understand what they are doing.

One can make the YES/Install button bigger, if you want to encourage the end user to install the update.

But the way this was handled where there are a TON of *customers* that would have liked to have WAITED for a few days/weeks to get the update, is IMHO, *IRRESPONSIBLE* for a company like HP.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I would suggest any feedback you have in regards to your displeasure with how the device works you should submit through our proper feedback channels. OTHER QUESTIONS / FEEDBACK | HP - United States
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I read the issues about the updates being done without my consent, but I thought it was only when it was docked. I was in my hotel room and left it charging while I got something to eat. I came back and it was done.

I'm not impressed. I was going to test it out on another system first.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I read the issues about the updates being done without my consent, but I thought it was only when it was docked. I was in my hotel room and left it charging while I got something to eat. I came back and it was done.

I'm not impressed. I was going to test it out on another system first.

Alan
    You are prompted to ask if you want to install the update when placed on a charger whether it's a docking station or wall outlet.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I was not asked. I did say 'install later' when first asked. But that was it. Nothing else.

alan
    I was not asked. I did say 'install later' when first asked. But that was it. Nothing else.

alan
    Same here. Thats what has me upset.

alan
    I was in my hotel room and left it charging while I got something to eat. I came back and it was done.
    This statement above tells me that you was not next to the device the whole time you had it plugged in therefore you may have not known that you was asked. Usually within a few minutes of plugging in a charger or docking a device it will prompt you about the update.

So with that I will reiterate that you may not have known that you was asked if you wanted to install the update, therefore it did install the update when you did not provide an answer.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post

I'm sorry you feel that way. I would suggest any feedback you have in regards to your displeasure with how the device works you should submit through our proper feedback channels. OTHER QUESTIONS / FEEDBACK | HP - United States
    I tend to agree that the default should be not to install updates, possibly with a setting to allow automatic updates if you so choose, similar to Microsoft Windows update. in my case I saw the prompts and didn't get the update loaded before I wanted it loaded. I probably would have surprised and not 100% happy had it loaded without my acknowledgement.
    I did get the gift icon update notification on 3.0.4. Then it popped up the dialog asking me to install now or later. I answered later. However, I can't seem to remove the notification with the swipe action at the top right. But so far so good. It hasn't updated itself like others reported.

Anyone knows if I will get that dialog again? Any way to remove that notification? I really want to hold off on the update after seeing reports of all kinds of issues.
    I have not tested it but one can google how to stop updates on the pre and do the same thing on the touchpad, assume you never got the 3.0.4 update... If you got 3.0.4 and want 3.0.2 then Dr. it to 3.0.2 and do not let it get to a WiFi access point, log on via dev mode and disable updates, then reset device and go thru normal setup...

Then when you are ready re-enable update service and you will then be updated assuming HP servers will be around to update you... If not then Dr. to 3.0.4...
    This statement above tells me that you was not next to the device the whole time you had it plugged in therefore you may have not known that you was asked. Usually within a few minutes of plugging in a charger or docking a device it will prompt you about the update.

So with that I will reiterate that you may not have known that you was asked if you wanted to install the update, therefore it did install the update when you did not provide an answer.
    If a UI requires this much explanation and causes this much confusion, the UI is broken.
    Fam Money likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyTriGuy View Post
    If a UI requires this much explanation and causes this much confusion, the UI is broken.
    Not necessarily. Proper education on how something works doesn't necessarily mean something is broken or becomes broken. Every new version of Windows and/or Mac comes with new elements, features, changes, that require user education on how the software works and functions, that does not mean that every change, except the original is all broken.

The only difference here is nothing changed from 1.x to 3.x the software is still the same. The UI and functionality behaves the same way it did launch day as it does today.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Think about what you just said. I realize you are thinking about this from the perspective of wanting the upgrade to get out there - and I can agree that the default of "install now" makes sense - as a highlited option. But NO action should be taken without explicit permission specifically because no update/upgrade process is ever perfect.

People need to be able to wait, they need to be able to say ONE time - NO and this should be honored for the rest of that update's life. The nag reminder - "do you want to update" should pop up from time to time - but it should NEVER install without explicit permission.

What do you do if your update wipes a device and someone loses work that they would have backed up prior to the update had the not just gone and grabbed a beer and a sandwich from the fridge - innocently leaving this device on a charger NEVER expecting to come back to find the update had downloaded (on its own) and then prompted - but decided it had waited long enough (30 seconds???? are you kidding me????) and gone on to install without waiting for input?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    This automated installation procedure is a fiasco, pure and simple.

I own the device, give me the choice, make it simple and 'one shot'.

I am glad I just have a Touchpad and a USB cable so I don't have to cancel the process multiple ways.

I am a software developer of 20 years experience and if I produced this I would be ashamed.
    lar3ry likes this.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanpalm61 View Post
    I'm still fighting it!! Its like a chess game between me and the updater... Yes I know I will loose soon as it keeps trying to trick me. Its almost like being forced to wear a seatbelt in my car!! They have taken my rights away once again, but I tricked them first, I wore my seatbelt before they forced me to.... All kidding aside, ya... What the heck HP let us upgrade when we want and quit shoving it down our right to choose. Isn't there a law or something... Oh well back to the bad coffee and my chess game.... WEBOSOS!
    Resistance is futile! Be prepared for the coming of 3.0.4....or you can turn off your TP completely and not touch it for a month or so. Even then, you might still get updated by the mysterious force of webOS updater. But seriously, my unintended update went well. The only thing that's not working is Preware along with the overclocking kernel and patches. But that is to be expected. Just have to wait for the Preware community to update their stuff and MOST of our TPs will be back to business better than before! Patience people.. patience.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    jdesign likes this.
    Can someone provide me a billing address so I can send HP a bill for $1.0 Billion and advise them if they don't keep denying payment every 30 minutes, it will serve as de facto acknowledgement of the debt at an overdue interest penalty of 2% per month for late payment?

It seems only legit since I really want the money.

This absurd analogy is no less appropriate than the justification for forced update that has been presented here today.
    Happened to me. Just picked up my touchpad off the touchstone and to my horror saw that it had automatically updated to 3.04...
    just rolled back to 3.0.2

if i disconnect off my wifi before charging will i survive the attack of the forced update so long as i prompt "no" once i reconnect?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ive been selecting "update later" was working till i plugged it then it updated itself...boooo!
    geezass....same thing happened to me...for the past few days I have been saying NO NO NO LATER LATER LATER LATER...I plugged it in,walked away...and it installs. This is completely indefensible position to have. If you are prompted you should be able to respond to a prompt. This is basic design. If you want a users input or give opportunity for a user to input you should as design practice WAIT for that users input. You can prompt me until the end of time and I would have sucked that up and said I understand the why's of that and the slow persuasion to update but for Christ sakes I said no about 10 times, if the logic isn't intuitive enough to utilize basic design practices nor understand that I said no a billion times then you are outright utilizing a design pattern that is meant to ultimately ignore my input so you might as well not even prompt me. Plain wrong. Even MS has an option I can select that is obeyed and counter to the default option.

I love webos to death but please do not defend indefensible positions. I have been watching the bug thread for the last few days and have been very apprehensive about the issues I am seeing and now it is forced on me whether I like it or not.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast