Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By HolyFizzoli
  1.    #1  
    In iOS, if I long press a word, a little bubble pops up that shows where my cursor is and lets me move it to where I want, including between letters in a word. The best I have been able to do on my HP TouchPad is to go to the beginning of a word, but it is very annoying. I need a way to be able to place my cursor where I want. Does webOS have this feature? Can you do this at this point it time or not?
    Pinch to zoom, then tap where you want it. That's as good as it gets for now.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    bevcraw likes this.
    All I have to do is touch the word and my cursor moves to where I touched. Seems pretty intuitive to me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker56 View Post
    All I have to do is touch the word and my cursor moves to where I touched. Seems pretty intuitive to me.
    What kind of success rate do you have with that method? For example can you place your cursor between 'i' and 'n' in the word "intuitive" above in one attempt? It seems very hard to me. It either goes to the beginning of the word or somewhere else where I don't need it to be. iOS does this elegantly by locally zooming the area your cursor is in to make it easier.
    It's kind of hard, especially sometime when you cannot zoom...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I get it right about 80% of the time I would say (unzoomed). Otherwise it registers one letter right or left. I think once I get used to it, I should be able to get that rate up to 90%. The only real way to get it perfect everytime is to use a pointed capacitive stylus - or have completely perfect motor skills and be able to touch your finger to the screen with the exact same amount of contact in the exact same position every time.
    Why can't HP add the arrows on the keypad to move the cursor back and forth? Even my small phone has them on the small touch screen keypad!
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Wish there was a better way
    TP + P3 = synergized
    This is one of my complaints as well. Not so easy to do and do it quickly.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Agreed, it's pretty kludgy and literally hit or miss. I'm sure Apple patented the little
    popup magnifier window (which I agree works quite well), which is why nobody else can
    use it. It's easier to move the cursor precisely on my Pre because I can use
    Orange button + left/right swipe to move a char or two. On the touchpad, it
    can be very frustrating. One place it really drives me nuts is if I try to edit
    a long URL in one of my saved bookmarks. There's a tiny little input field, and a
    very long URL in it, and I can pretty much only see the beginning or the end (and sometimes
    can't get to the end when I want) and nowhere in the middle.
    I've run into this on some other web form fields.

ian
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Dunno why HP couldn't fit some damn arrow keys onto the popup keyboard.
    Don't know what kind of superhuman accuracy you guys have. I would say that when trying to click in between to letters, the cursor goes where I want about 10% of the time on the first try if not less.
    paulm64 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyFizzoli View Post
    Don't know what kind of superhuman accuracy you guys have. I would say that when trying to click in between to letters, the cursor goes where I want about 10% of the time on the first try if not less.
    I completely agree with you. I will sometimes tap 5+ times before it lands where I want it. The Splashtop remote application adds the arrows to the keyboard which is a great feature. Wish HP would do that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragefather View Post
    I completely agree with you. I will sometimes tap 5+ times before it lands where I want it. The Splashtop remote application adds the arrows to the keyboard which is a great feature. Wish HP would do that as well.
    I literally JUST got an email from HP with new promo codes for apps and downloaded one called WritePad which is basically a word processor with integrated left and right cursor keys, as well as, home, end and select all. It also allows you to easily copy the text into your email app and a few others. Pretty cool i'd say. Get it while it's hot.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Agreed, it's pretty kludgy and literally hit or miss. I'm sure Apple patented the little
    popup magnifier window (which I agree works quite well), which is why nobody else can
    use it. It's easier to move the cursor precisely on my Pre because I can use
    Orange button + left/right swipe to move a char or two. On the touchpad, it
    can be very frustrating. One place it really drives me nuts is if I try to edit
    a long URL in one of my saved bookmarks. There's a tiny little input field, and a
    very long URL in it, and I can pretty much only see the beginning or the end (and sometimes
    can't get to the end when I want) and nowhere in the middle.
    I've run into this on some other web form fields.

ian
    My EVO 3D does the magnifier thing....it would be nice to have it on the TP as well.
    Definitely something that needs work. iOS has the magnifier and Android has a slideable cursor. Both are far superior to trying to make my fat finger hit the precise pixel webos wants me to hit.