1.    #1  
    I was thinking of how I would improve the quality of my TouchPad and one thing that came to mind was to replace the plastic shell with aluminum or some other type of material. So I began brainstorming on how to do this, and I remember seeing a while back a post on an aquarium forum where some guy send a 3d model to some company and they sent him the model machined out of aluminum.

I thought it would be pretty cool if I could remove the back case and send it to a similar company that would make a mold of the current back case and send me an aluminum (or other material) replacement back that I could just pop on to the touchpad.

Anyone have any ideas on if I could make this possible. I figure for a $100 tablet, it might not be worth doubling my money to get a solid feel out of it
    Have you tried to take off back yet? Possible to mold your own? I would think cost would be crazy for someone else to do it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    Have you tried to take off back yet? Possible to mold your own? I would think cost would be crazy for someone else to do it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Not sure how I would mold my own. That's kinda why I made this post
    Would it not affect your wifi signal?
    or melt your touchstone. Eggs, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Yea, if he tries it, I want it on youtube!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    better idea may be a spay-on texture. Maybe something like plasti-dip, or maybe some nice textured paint. A "real" leather back would be V nice too
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Would it not affect your wifi signal?
    Probably, but we'll solve that problem when we get to it iPad seems fine. Might just need to reroute the antenna wires as close to the screen as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    don't have a touchstone (yet) but I'd be willing to make the sacrifice
    Quote Originally Posted by levinite View Post
    Yea, if he tries it, I want it on youtube!
    TouchPad goes flying across the room. LOL

Okay back on topic. @ the OP, I don't want to rain on your parade, but assuming you could get the back off and get a new one on without anything breaking. The cost would be well over $100. I have seen custom made shift knobs start at $60 and that is something that doesn't require the precision you are talking about. Especially properly forming the speaker holes.

I would love to see someone prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening unless someone wants to lay down some serious cash.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    better idea may be a spay-on texture. Maybe something like plasti-dip, or maybe some nice textured paint. A "real" leather back would be V nice too
    That would be a simple solution, but I'm not trying to make this thing any bigger than it already is. My main complaint is the creakiness of the plastic.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    The front panel of the TP is held in by seven clips that are lightly anchored to the rear case (i got this info from the ifixit site). These clips are made of plastic and I'm afraid they might break if you try to attach a relatively heavier aluminium rear case to it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rajstruck View Post
    The front panel of the TP is held in by seven clips that are lightly anchored to the rear case (i got this info from the ifixit site). These clips are made of plastic and I'm afraid they might break if you try to attach a relatively heavier aluminium rear case to it.
    also checking out the ifixit site. I don't think disassembly or reassembly would be the problem. I think the problem would be finding a CNC milling shop that would be able to replicate the design of the back panel. Everything else would seeming be just a simple replacement of the buttons and boards. Maybe some drilling and threading the screw holes (nothing too major).