Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, now touch no longer works. Anyone have any ideas what to do now? Have no idea what else is broke since I can't even access it!
    same here, mine says www.palm.com/ROM with an exclamation point in a triangle. Now what???
    do we call HP? What's the tech support number?
    use the dr. It broke mine too, but the dr fixed it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-4-doctor.html
    First try doctoring, the getting started guide on this forums outlines the necessary steps, its an easy thing.

Here you can download the doctor:
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

and this are the instructions, (copied fro the get started guide):

1: You are going to be connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device. Prepare for this step but do NOT plug the touchpad into the computer just yet.
    2: Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable into your computer, and the other end into your touchpad. After the large USB symbol appears on your touchpad screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step
    3: Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
    4: When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
    5: When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
    6: Click Next.
    7: Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
    8: When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    9: Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
    10: You're done!

Some troubleshooting if things aren't working correctly (taken straight from palm):

If the Next button remains unavailable, it may be because your device was disconnected from your computer during the driver installation process. In this circumstance, Windows cannot communicate with your device to install the drivers until you clear the driver installation state.
    Hope you dont need to send the TP away, good luck!
  6.    #6  
    I ran the doctor--didn't fix it. Went thru the 5 t's (thanks to someone posting that link, because trying it via hp support did not work). Seems to me the easiest way to get to the support chat.

Palm Support : 5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again

He had me restart it AGAIN, as if I hadn't already done that, not to mention it reboots after the doctor runs. Still did not fix it--it's stuck at the language choice screen now.

<sigh> Second time sending it back! Think I got a lemon????! We couldn't get it setup the first day we got it. :-(
  7.    #7  
    BTW, I saw where the exclamation point/triangle indicates a frozen tablet. Mine did not do that--it looked fine and reported that the update was successful.
  8.    #8  
    Here's the page with the phone numbers:

Palm Support : Call us for support

But, I'd go with the chat, even though you have a good chance of getting disconnected during it, as they are there 24 hours a day.
    Mine did that too. Had to doctor it to get it back up. Pita as I lost my Angry Birds progress! +1 for the chat, they are pretty good on there.
    Try to doctor with version 3.0.2 - found it here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Here: Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor is the procedure I used and it helped.
    Later I did OTA update to 3.0.4 version.
  11.    #11  
    Sorry, kra97, OTA?

Right now, I am trying webos doctor 3.0.2 . . . we shall see!
    Hi, I have the same problem and I'm not sure what to do. How do I even reset the device so that I can get out of the "www.palm.com/ROM" splash screen?

Which one is the volume up button?

Edit: I think I figured out how to get into USB mode - or at least get the device to show the USB logo. Is there anyway to access the files on the touchpad before I try to reset it?
    Last edited by firehawk12; 10/19/2011 at 09:37 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Well, for me, no joy! Still no response to touch.

Do you have the exclamation point? Support page describes that as a "frozen device". I'm thinking you won't be able to access files at that point, sadly. Guess we learnt OUR lesson, eh? ALWAYS save your files before ANY update! With computers, ain't nothin' easy. You might try tethering it to your desktop, but mine is not recognizing it at all. Mine is stuck at the language selection screen.

The top of the volume button (closest to the power button) is the "up". You probably figured that out by now.

Once the doctor is run, all information is removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanitaM View Post
    Well, for me, no joy! Still no response to touch.

Do you have the exclamation point? Support page describes that as a "frozen device". I'm thinking you won't be able to access files at that point, sadly. Guess we learnt OUR lesson, eh? ALWAYS save your files before ANY update! With computers, ain't nothin' easy. You might try tethering it to your desktop, but mine is not recognizing it at all. Mine is stuck at the language selection screen.

The top of the volume button (closest to the power button) is the "up". You probably figured that out by now.

Once the doctor is run, all information is removed.
    Guh, yeah, exclamation point. I guess it's not catastrophic, just annoying... who knew an update would do this to a device? But yeah, I've learned my lesson too. Did the doctor bring your device back up at least?

Cheers.
  15.    #15  
    Nope, not at all. I'm back to where I was the day we brought it home--language selection screen. Think I got a lemon. Sent it in for repair--it came back with the then latest webos and now I gotta send it in AGAIN! First time, there was no data to lose.

Not responding to touch at all.
  16.    #16  
    PS What's with the time stamp on these messages? Where in the world does it think I am?
    It seems short sighted of them to not let people access the drive after whatever kind of system failure happens. Well, at least maybe I can feel more comfortable trying some of this Android stuff I suppose.

And I'm guessing your timezone for the board isn't set up to be your local timezone.
    Which computer system allows you to access your data after the computer has stopped working...just curious

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I'm assuming it's just some form of flash memory. I could understand if the machine couldn't turn on to power the drive at all, but the fact that you can use the doctor thing to reflash it means that - at some low level, it's possible to access the memory and that a computer can communicate with it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
    And I'm guessing your timezone for the board isn't set up to be your local timezone.
    Heh, I looked at my profile page, and it's ZULU time!

So, send my TP off for repair/replace yesterday, again. Wonder if this time I'll get a replace . . . I don't know if anything was done hardware-wise last time. Sure is not nice if every update is gonna break it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast