Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By El Valluco
  1.    #1  
    ..at least I hope it's a bug and not a new "feature."

Just upgraded to 3.0.4 and was streaming This American Life (which I've done before) and the audio cut out right when when screen timed out at 2 minutes. Restated and verified the problem again. This also happens with Pandora.com (not the app) and any other streaming site I could find.

This did not happen with 3.0.2. Can anyone verify this issue, please? Here.. This American Life

Major bummer - this is a big chunk of what I use the device for! I will roll back if needed.

ps - yes, I know I can change the screen time out to 10 minutes but that's not the issue.
    Last edited by El Valluco; 10/18/2011 at 09:06 PM.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Yep, cut out on me too. I want to add that I was listening to iHeart radio earlier and it played fine after the screen turned off. I was also streaming NCIS from CBS and it played while the screen was off as well, so it sounds like its something specific to the site (and presumably others like it).
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Something may have been corrupted or a patch Is interfering. Youtube and music player and just about everything else has the audio still running for me.
    Just tested Pandora it worked fine with the screen off.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Just tested Pandora it worked fine with the screen off.
    Please clarify - the app or the site? App works, site does not.
    Streaming isn't interrupted for me. Audio from browser keeps playing with the screen off.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    Please clarify - the app or the site? App works, site does not.
    The site.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm running the old 3.0.2 and i can confirm from your link that the audio did cut out for me once my screen went black, and I had to refresh the page for the flash player to work again.
    It has been hit or miss for quite some time (3.0.2 and 3.0.0). I've seen reports from both versions, some say sound audio never stops when the screen turns off (pandora website, youtube) others say it does. Don't think this issue is directly related to 3.0.4 exactly.

However, we'll see if it does become more prevalent
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbussing View Post
    It has been hit or miss for quite some time (3.0.2 and 3.0.0). I've seen reports from both versions, some say sound audio never stops when the screen turns off (pandora website, youtube) others say it does. Don't think this issue is directly related to 3.0.4 exactly.
    Interesting.

Fired up my friend's TP, running 3.0.2 and streaming audio from the web plays fine after screen goes black ..like mine did before the update. Grrrr..
  11.    #11  
    Also noticing that that after waking the screen and the sound comes back - that the sounds are distorted. No idea what that's about but that's also new.

Oh, doctor...
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Verified same behavior with 3.0.4. Start stream on website, turn screen
    off with tap of power button, stream stops after a second or two.
    Turn screen back on, and the stream starts back up, but sounds awful.
    Couldn't make the stream re-start sounding normal, even after closing
    browser, but discovered that if I turn the screen off (stopping
    the stream) and back on, it came back normal.

I don't remember if 3.0.2 had this behavior or not, as I think I mostly
    stream audio from websites, while I'm browsing elsewhere.
    It's possible that the custom Kernels might change this behavior
    depending on whether you're using ondemand or screenstate profile and so forth.

BTW, be sure you don't have it charging when you test this. It
    never really goes to sleep if it's charging.

ian
    I can confirm that this issue Is hit or miss. On 3.0.0 and 3.0.2 my music failed to stream on the Pandora website when the screen turned off (even the new site). Now after updating I can stream audio w/ no problem while I turn the screen off.

this is a very strange issue. I had used webOS doctors before in my attempts to remedy the issue. Seems as though something just went right this time for me. Now I can stream Pandora.com while the screen is off.
    For me playing music on Audiophile HD stops when the screen turns off.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Trying running the exhibition app. It has worked for some people to continue streaming audio after the screen blanks.
    i am having a simliar problem, i get a tv stream from a site and no matter what i set the screen dim ( On or Off) it goes into screen shut off mode. But if i watch a show on hulu it doesn't shut off the screen at all even with the dim feature on. weird that it used to work before i updated to 3.0.4. You guys have any ideas?

same happens even if i am charging the pad while watching the stream
    Last edited by Outlawsys; 10/23/2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added more info
    Dumb question, but do any of you have your Wi-Fi set to turn off when sleeping?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    No, "Keep Wifi on" when sleeping is on.

I've Doctor'd back to 3.0.2 and it also kills any web based audio stream
    when it goes to sleep. I don't think this issue is new to 3.0.4.

However, if you're on 3.0.4 you might try to the F4 Phantom beta Kernel. I found
    that when running that, my web based audio streams did not quit on sleep.
    I can't speak for any other kernel's behavior.

ian
    There are a couple of apps which keep the screen on for longer periods or which prevent it from turning off altogether. Though if you are concerned about battery life that is not a good workaround.