Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 219
Like Tree24Likes
  1. #161  
    If people didn't want to mess with "open" operating systems where volunteer computer engineers make a device better and where we lucky users periodically have to deal with some glitches when things get updated, then why don't they stick with anal retentive Apple? (Nothing wrong with their devices, I'm just sayin'....)

    Am I missing something here?!
  2. KnightNZ's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    If people didn't want to mess with "open" operating systems where volunteer computer engineers make a device better and where we lucky users periodically have to deal with some glitches when things get updated, then why don't they stick with anal retentive Apple? (Nothing wrong with their devices, I'm just sayin'....)

    Am I missing something here?!
    Maybe selfishly, I expect a commercially released device to work correctly and for updates to it to not cause more issues than they fix. Especially given when there's only essentially only one variant of the hardware for that particular release to be running on (unlike Android).

    There seems to be a certain level of inconsistency in the amount of issues people are having which may well be attributed to non-"official" modifications prior to the update. It's a different story if people are having issues with stock-standard systems once updated though.
  3. #163  
    Is there a reliable way to revert back to 3.0.2 and stay at that?

    Are there any patches available to turn off OTA updates?

    Thanks!
  4. #164  
    If you do *NOT* want to do the automatic update, and don't want to keep hitting "Install Later" then the following did appear to work for me.

    First, you must make sure you have the preware jar stuff installed on your PC, and can navigate it to get a command prompt on your TP, (or alternatively, can ssh in). I am not covering that here, search for it on these forums and on the web.

    Then, when you have a shell on your TP, do the following:

    cd /usr/bin
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon

    and then reboot.

    You may also need to do the remount as suggested here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...os-update.html

    and elsewhere. I already had my TP in developer mode so that may have obviated the requirement to remount the partition rw.

    Anyhow, I rebooted, and voila! No further prompts to update. I am now happy *NOT* updating to 3.0.4 where the things I want to work won't.

    Hope that helps.

    Kind regards

    D.
  5. #165  
    Well, I decided to update to 3.04 after following the hint I found in post #24 of link...

    New update being pushed out - Page 3 - I run the 'Emergency Patch Recovery' app from preware as suggested (as I had the various recommended patches installed for 3.02).

    So far none of the problems others report after OS update. Charging on TS still works using Knomo case I did another re-boot of TP after OS update - as not doing so, appears to have caused most problems for others. Also TP can now blutooth to iPhone (and many more mobiles) and making calls works well here....I can install new patches as and when they become avalaible...
  6. #166  
    updated last night all seems well, except it no longer charges on the touchstone while in the truss case........
  7. #167  
    I'm trying to clean up a previous Ubuntu/EXT3FS partition and wanted to see if I did it right.

    I'm on a 32 GB model, I've doctored with 3.0.4, and when I mount to PC, it shows 27.5 GB total capacity (26 GB free, difference is some apps and downloads I'm guessing). Does that seem right?
  8. #168  
    I find it bothersome that 3.0.4 rearranged the email accounts and you can't reorder them. I like my accounts in a specific order to match my Pre's inboxes. Perhaps deleting all accounts and re-adding them in the order I want them will fix this?
  9. #169  
    I had a stock 3.0.2 system (no patches) and I have seen no issues since the upgrade to 3.0.4 a couple of days ago.

    There are quite a few posts about what doesn't work and I wanted to at least chime in and report what is working

    Greg
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by scunacc1 View Post
    If you do *NOT* want to do the automatic update, and don't want to keep hitting "Install Later" then the following did appear to work for me.

    First, you must make sure you have the preware jar stuff installed on your PC, and can navigate it to get a command prompt on your TP, (or alternatively, can ssh in). I am not covering that here, search for it on these forums and on the web.

    Then, when you have a shell on your TP, do the following:

    cd /usr/bin
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon

    and then reboot.

    You may also need to do the remount as suggested here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...os-update.html

    and elsewhere. I already had my TP in developer mode so that may have obviated the requirement to remount the partition rw.

    Anyhow, I rebooted, and voila! No further prompts to update. I am now happy *NOT* updating to 3.0.4 where the things I want to work won't.

    Hope that helps.

    Kind regards

    D.
    I think you mean webOS Quick Install?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. Ahhk's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by TT67 View Post
    Is anyone else having a problem with screen flicker when navigating between menu pages in preware? By this I mean the screen flickers momentarily whenever the pages changes. Thanks.
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. Seems like a real slow redraw/refresh/fade-in of the screen.

    Multiple restarts haven't corrected it.

    Odd.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think you mean webOS Quick Install?
    I do yes :-) It was 1AMish when I wrote that since having been tracking it down on and off all evening I was wanting to get it done b4 heading off to Zzzzz, but I wanted to share what I had found since I saw many posts saying: "Don't want to keep hitting 'Install Later'" and thought it would be useful. Appreciate the correction. Thanks!

    Kind regards

    D.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  13. Ahhk's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #173  
    The 3.0.4 update wiped my AB progress. *******s!!

    hehe
  14. #174  
    Good gravy guys, did all of you have to confirm all of your accounts like email, contacts, calendar apps after this software update? Why in the wonderful webOS heavens do we have to do this? I don't remember having to do this on the last update. Am I the only 1 here, or did all of you have to do the same thing?
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blotch View Post
    Well, I decided to update to 3.04 after following the hint I found in post #24 of link...

    New update being pushed out - Page 3 - I run the 'Emergency Patch Recovery' app from preware as suggested (as I had the various recommended patches installed for 3.02).

    So far none of the problems others report after OS update. Charging on TS still works using Knomo case I did another re-boot of TP after OS update - as not doing so, appears to have caused most problems for others. Also TP can now blutooth to iPhone (and many more mobiles) and making calls works well here....I can install new patches as and when they become avalaible...
    Hey Blotch, I did the EPR in Preware and all of my patches were still there! I then had to remove them all individually prior to updating. I'm getting so fed up with these updates with patches installed. Ive been dealing with this since the Pre- which I still use as my primary phone! As you can tell, I'm madly in love with webOS. Its just now with the TP, I dont think I am patient enough to go through this every time, even though I love some of the patches available, not to mention Govnah. What to do, what to do. Pea soup.
  16. #176  
    ok guys I was thinking about something..
    you know how initially we had to use test Feeds to get overclocking kernels?

    I had warthog but I know it hasn't been updated yet, but with the new testing feeds and all, how do I go about knowing when warthog is updated because I never added the new testing feeds....

    do I go about adding the new testing feeds?

    can I just uninstall warthog? Install default kernel and install uberkernel? Thanks in advance...
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
  17. #177  
    So what's the recommended procedure for doing the update? Just uninstall all patches, kernels, and reinstall after the update (if available)?
  18. #178  
    My launcher problem seems to have returned for some reason. There's a phantom icon just sitting there and you can't hit/move it. Any idea how to fix it?

    Touchpad Launcher Screenshot
  19. #179  
    Can I create a new metadoctor image with the 3.04 doctor the same way I did with 3.02 so I can wipe my tablet and start over with 3.04 and a fresh Ubuntu partition?

    Also, if I use the erase options in the system info app for a clean wipe of the usb partition will this also get rid of the ubuntu chroot partition I created? And if I am running this from inside of webOS and not in a terminal how does it wipe the webOS OS while I am running it?
    Last edited by waveuponwave; 10/21/2011 at 11:56 PM.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amourek View Post
    So what's the recommended procedure for doing the update? Just uninstall all patches, kernels, and reinstall after the update (if available)?
    I uninstalled ALL of my patches ( not apps) and kernel b4 update. Have not had reboots and other misc. issues that others have reported elsewhere. As such, I <highly> suggest you follow the recommended steps. E.g uninstall all patches and go back to stock kernel. It may not be necessary, as it works for a <few>, but it only takes a few minutes to reinstall those patches in Preware re-qualified for 3.04 that may be 'broken' from 3.02.

    Note that 3.04 stock is comparable to the 3.02 overclocked at 1.5 or even 1.7GHz. For most, the new stock kernel or maybe Uberkernel will likely suffice. Huge improvement vs. What you've seen. Merely based on what I saw with Sunspider and Lithium HD benchmarks... No more 3.02 for me. HP listened... And did something good. And then so did WebOSInternals for those of us that are performance freaks and willing to go do Alpha testing. 3.04 is goodness, by itself for the majority IMHO as it'll be faster than most 3.02 overclocking was.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...ml#post3214930

    for anyone wanting to go beyond 3.04 Uberkernel (screamin') read 'em and weep. Go there if you may:
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions