Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
  1. GLO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Have you tried to rename them to jar and run. Maybe your browser or your antivirus renamed them to zip (didn't happen to me but i read in the forum somewhere that it can happen if the original file is zip)
    I got the files from
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140214...octor_Versions which was recommended to me by
    berdinkerdickle and the files I got were zip files named
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon and webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi
    When I opened them there were no jar files.
    Do I have what I need to run webOS doctor and if so, how do I ru it without the help of the HP webOS web page?
    I think what you got was really a jar file but your pc has associated .jar with the archive/zip file type (a jar file uses the zip format). I used to do that myself as a developer. Is this a windows pc I assume? Right-click on the file and select open with->java runtime (or something similar)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/14/2015 at 02:43 PM.
  3. GLO
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I think what you got was really a jar file but your pc has associated .jar with the archive/zip file type (a jar file uses the zip format). I used to do that myself as a developer. Is this a windows pc I assume? Right-click on the file and select open with->java runtime (or something similar)
    With the Pre 3 frozen on the HP logo plugged in to my PCI, I chose Java to open the webOS doctor file, and Java starts and tries but then I get a message "unable to open"
    Quote Originally Posted by GLO View Post
    I got the files from
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140214...octor_Versions which was recommended to me by
    berdinkerdickle and the files I got were zip files named
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon and webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi
    When I opened them there were no jar files.
    Do I have what I need to run webOS doctor and if so, how do I ru it without the help of the HP webOS web page?
    Both files are right. Save them to a folder on drive c:\ . You should make short name for folder like palm or something than
    go to search in windows (click windows logo use start button) and type CMD and than press enter (command line)
    after you will see a black box with something like c:\Users\...... or simillar than type
    cd c:\palm and press enter (supposed you created folder palm on the c
    you will see the c:\palm\
    type dir and press enter
    you should see two files (if you copied them there) with extention jar
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar
    webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
    now you know your fies have right extention (.jar)

than type java -jar webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar for Pre 3 or java -jar webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar for TouchPad

in the black window you will see the progress and the webOS doctor windows will popup

if it does not detect you pre 3, than follow my post from other thread (remove battery)
    Remy X likes this.
    @GLO,

If your Doctor file was damaged "in transit" and Java no longer recognizes it, you'll have to redownload.

First, temporarily disable your antivirus, because some A/V variants like Symantec's Norton do mangle Java files.

Then, follow this thread: need a doctor

You'll find the instructions for updating your hosts file, and will be able to add 63.80.4.201 downloads.help.palm.com to hosts, which will enable you to download from the original HP server. Then don't forget to clear your browser's cache. Also, i suggest not downloading via Internet Explorer.. Firefox and Chrome are much more reliable, and Firefox can resume interrupted downloads
    Just for interest: are these the doctors which don't try to log to the WebOS Profile on some soon to be vanquished HP Server?
    Or are these the doctors files as they always were (=not the droids we're looking for) ?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Just for interest: are these the doctors which don't try to log to the WebOS Profile on some soon to be vanquished HP Server?
    Or are these the doctors files as they always were (=not the droids we're looking for) ?
    Yes, these are regular Doctors...
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/18/2015 at 11:24 PM.
  8. GLO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Both files are right. Save them to a folder on drive c:\ . You should make short name for folder like palm or something than
    go to search in windows (click windows logo use start button) and type CMD and than press enter (command line)
    after you will see a black box with something like c:\Users\...... or simillar than type
    cd c:\palm and press enter (supposed you created folder palm on the c
    you will see the c:\palm\
    type dir and press enter
    you should see two files (if you copied them there) with extention jar
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar
    webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
    now you know your fies have right extention (.jar)

than type java -jar webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar for Pre 3 or java -jar webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar for TouchPad

in the black window you will see the progress and the webOS doctor windows will popup

if it does not detect you pre 3, than follow my post from other thread (remove battery)
    I'm not very techy and I tried to follow your instructions but couldn't get the webOS doctors running despite having the files I mentioned which you say are the correct ones. There was a mini Chicago webOS group meeting today to try to help me but it appears my devices are uniquely screwed up, but I'm glad I have other devices that function. I'll try to follow your instructions again on another day, as I would like to be able to access the webOS doctor files if I need them in the future. Still have some quirks in my working devices. My working Pre 3 has not been able to backup since late 2012, one working Touchpad will not add the extra pages Games and Homebrew even though the patch was downloaded from Preware, and on another brand new Touchpad Tweaks will not run--it tries to but gives me an error page. I remember reading somewhere on here someone saying they've never seen a Touchpad that couldn't be fixed. I'd love to have them take a look at my dysfunctional White 64 GB Touchpad and see if they still feel that way. I am very impressed with the webOS community's eagerness to help each other. It's a model our world needs a lot more of, and I'm glad to be a new member of the Chicago webOS group.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Hey, don't worry about the white Touchpad

Even if it's "uniquely screwed up", there is a number of other tools besides the Doctor, tools such as "TP Toolbox", which can be very effective in recovering a non-working TP... that it, unless your USB port is broken or a cable you are using is bad.

Because unless there's a hardware issue, the TP should be showing up as a "device" when detected by your computer, and once you have it detected, you're halfway there in terms of getting it to work
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/18/2015 at 11:45 PM.
    I have tried all the links posted here and as of today none are working. I'm looking for the WebOS Doctor for a 3G Touchpad running 3.0.5.
    I'm going to answer my own question here. All of the links to the WebOS Doctor are now shut down. If you need a copy of the Doctor, start by going to WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and find the version for your device.

Now those links won't work, but don't despair. Copy the link, then go to archive.org and paste the link into the "way back machine." It will generate a download link for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pherbirt View Post
    I'm going to answer my own question here. All of the links to the WebOS Doctor are now shut down. If you need a copy of the Doctor, start by going to WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and find the version for your device.

Now those links won't work, but don't despair. Copy the link, then go to archive.org and paste the link into the "way back machine." It will generate a download link for you.
    Please be careful with the archive.org method several members have reported that they have pulled down 200MB doctors that should be 229MB or more. I strongly advise everyone to avoid the archive.org jars since the HP servers are still available at the moment and all that is required is to add 4 lines to your HOSTS file to access them.
    The proper method is either described or linked to in many threads including this one ~6 posts up:
    How do I download webOS Doctor for Touchpad from HP and save the file on my computer?
    and another good one here:
    webOS Doctors from webOS Internals' Doctor Versions page no longer work....
    Grab your doctors NOW from HP. If you think you have saved all the Doctors you need from archive.org, please either check the MD5 Sums or test run them so you don't have a nasty surprise after the HP servers are no longer giving out Doctors.
    -my 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Please be careful with the archive.org method several members have reported that they have pulled down 200MB doctors that should be 229MB or more. I strongly advise everyone to avoid the archive.org jars since the HP servers are still available at the moment and all that is required is to add 4 lines to your HOSTS file to access them.
    The proper method is either described or linked to in many threads including this one ~6 posts up:
    How do I download webOS Doctor for Touchpad from HP and save the file on my computer?
    and another good one here:
    webOS Doctors from webOS Internals' Doctor Versions page no longer work....
    Grab your doctors NOW from HP. If you think you have saved all the Doctors you need from archive.org, please either check the MD5 Sums or test run them so you don't have a nasty surprise after the HP servers are no longer giving out Doctors.
    -my 2c
    Thank you for the heads up about 200MB Doctors. I tried editing my Hosts file a number of different ways with no success. The links just take me to a blank page with a Palm logo. The Doctor I downloaded from Archive.org for my 4G 32 Touchpad 3.0.5 was 287MB. I can't speak to how well it works because I haven't had to use it but the start menu comes up and everything looks good.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12