Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scunacc1 View Post
    If you do *NOT* want to do the automatic update, and don't want to keep hitting "Install Later" then the following did appear to work for me.

First, you must make sure you have the preware jar stuff installed on your PC, and can navigate it to get a command prompt on your TP, (or alternatively, can ssh in). I am not covering that here, search for it on these forums and on the web.

Then, when you have a shell on your TP, do the following:

cd /usr/bin
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon

and then reboot.

You may also need to do the remount as suggested here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...os-update.html

and elsewhere. I already had my TP in developer mode so that may have obviated the requirement to remount the partition rw.

Anyhow, I rebooted, and voila! No further prompts to update. I am now happy *NOT* updating to 3.0.4 where the things I want to work won't.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

D.
    From the link I typed at the command prompt the following
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot

They talked in the link about "Then, either reboot or execute:
    killall UpdateDaemon". You had neither of the 'mount's for writing and read only. According to your post changing mount for writing was probably not necessary.

Does anybody think it would hurt to change this back to read only with the second 'mount'? When I attempted killall UpdateDaemon that did not work so I used reboot. Does anyone see any problems with what I have done? Why did killall UpdateDaemon not work?

I had not used my webOS for awhile and never received the update message. I have my stored transcoded mp4 videos playing great in 3.0.2 and I have pogo plug playing the same videos perfectically on my local lan selecting the built in video player when I click on their web interface. Pogo plug gives me TB of local video storage. I have the usb host mode working with a 64GB fat 32 flash drive powered with OTG usb Durcell power adapter. Works great for allowing my Touchpad to have access to all my videos when I am on the go. USB host is better than transcoded on the fly ORB or compressed Splashtop remote playback of the same file plus does not need wifi.

I also like using with the touchstone charger since I am able to keep the battery levels up during video playback. WebOS 3.0.2 seems better here as well.

I have google reader playing video mp4 podcast perfectically using built-in video player as well. I have the hulu fix working that disables the hp catalog, but can be set easily to uninstall. I have music playing great with 3.0.2. None of these work as great in the alpha CM7 2.1 version of Android. I think the overclock to 1.5 and GPU hardware accelerations plays my mp4 perfectly in webOS 3.0.2. I used VideoRedo TVSuite to convert my HTPC 12 GB 1080i files to 1GB or less mp4 files. For these reasons webOS 3.0.2 is perfect for my video playback, so I want to keep it.
    Battery life post 3.0.4 is much worse, before update I was losing about 2% per 24 hours with the TP in sleep with wifi on, post 3.0.4 I lose 14 to 16% every 24 hours set up the same.
    Also the battery seems to drain much faster below 50%.

Govnah shows -580 ma drainage average at idle now, before update average was 440 to 460.
    Quote Originally Posted by jillst View Post
    Since Os upgrade Kindle app shuts down when opened either as a card or in use with the following message:

APPLICATION ERROR
    The application Amazon Kindle has quit unexpectedly.

Also experiencing the Time mag problem, can't download new issues, can't open old issues.

No hacks, only apps installed are thru HP catalog.

Thx
    No problem with Kindle app after upgrade for me. You may want to deregister the TP in your Kindle account, delete the app from the TP, download/install the app again and register the TP to your Kindle account. Probably a good idea to restart between deleting the app and installing it again.

If your books are archived at Amazon, they should all come back as soon as you open the Kindle app and it syncs. If you sideloaded books, copy the files and covers from the .palmkindle folder to someplace else--when you deregister and delete, all the Kindle stuff stored on your TP in the .palmkindle folder will be deleted.
    Bug in: Browser
    Short info: Browser is lacking touch-related JavaScript events

Resolved: I went ahead and implemented touch events in the browser and they are working perfectly fine. So if "ipad" or "touch" optimized websites are not working with the TouchPad, it's due to rather sloppy coding on the website, not a lack of the TouchPad's capabilities.
    Last edited by metai; 10/31/2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Bug in: Unlock screen
    Short info: unlock circle is not movable and "drag up to unlock" message does not appear during USB cable charging

Description:
    Unlock function has erratic behavior when using power button to light up the screen in USB cable charging mode. Unlock circle is not movable and "drag up to unlock" message does not appear. I do not have any patches installed, just stock 3.0.4. Problem persists after restart.
    After 3.0.4 update:

Confirmed: Can't charge with the Targus TRUSS case for the TP, distance from TouchStone is to far.

Confirmed: Speakers sometimes go fuzzy sounding, onlya reboot cures the issues.

Also bug in a game called Bug Village (ironic huh). I launch the game just fine, then when going to hit the play button nothing happens. Sometimes have to reboot the TP for the game to function properly.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    does anyone notice the brightness goes low to normal of our setting.. like seein a image the brightness go dark if the image background is black or white.or it even happen in watchin movie .. orr its just me ... but in android its ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by rko327 View Post
    does anyone notice the brightness goes low to normal of our setting.
    Yes, the screen slightly adapts its brightness to the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by metai View Post
    Yes, the screen slightly adapts its brightness to the content.
    so its anyway to fix it.. i tried the autodim options but no luck ..

pls anyone help me out ..
    Quote Originally Posted by rko327 View Post
    so its anyway to fix it.. i tried the autodim options but no luck ..
    This behaviour is unrelated to the dimming based on ambient light, there is no setting for it. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhargett View Post
    I feel I'm starting to sound like a Memphis bluesman with the list of ways 3.0.4 done me wrong:

Updated list
    *Deleted my music
    *Dumped my videos
    *Neutered Preware
    *Disabled CyanogenMod7 Alpha (but left hard drive allocation)
    *Wiped game high scores
    *Broke the sound in SuperSonic HD game (jewels now sound like small explosions)
    *Nullified homebrew
    *Trashed Amazon Kindle (can't open any of my books, tells me to archive and re-download, still won't work)
    *Wrecked GrooveShark so it won't play consecutive tracks, hangs 30 sec before track ends
    *Burns up battery 20% faster now.
    *Having sound distortion issue, restarting pulseaudio fixes, but annoying
    *Drops wifi pretty regularly

So, a few problems, but other than that, I'm loving the new camera feature and B/T syncing with my phone... except my wife says the sound is garbled when I use the TP as my BlueTooth "headset."

I guess I am also lucky in that I can still charge on the TouchStone with the case on.
    EDIT: I have the HP Touchpad case. I thought I had posted this, but forgot that my original post never went because my browser crashed.

Sorry, but 3.0.4 wasn't worth the havoc visited upon my poor, defenseless TouchPad. It's slower, the volume is too quiet now, that stinkin' ripple is back. I'm sure it's logging like mad once again and it ruined just about everything I use it for.

Way to go, HP.
    UPDATED AGAIN:

*Deleted my music
    --- Never figured this out, suspect that it was because I had my "Music" and "Video" folders outside of the "Downloads" folder

*Dumped my videos
    --- See above

*Neutered Preware
    --- Reinstalled PreWare, still get error message about certain feeds, but usable

*Disabled CyanogenMod7 Alpha (but left hard drive allocation)
    --- This was to be expected. I was able to remove and reinstall CM7A2

*Wiped game high scores
    --- Completely inexplicable

*Broke the sound in SuperSonic HD game (jewels now sound like small explosions)
    --- Apparently this is linked to the sound distortion issue

*Nullified homebrew
    --- This was expected. As updates have come available I have installed them

*Trashed Amazon Kindle (can't open any of my books, tells me to archive and re-download, still won't work)
    --- Solution: Remove and re-install Amazon Kindle Beta. Works now.

*Wrecked GrooveShark so it won't play consecutive tracks, hangs 30 sec before track ends
    --- The reason for this appears to be with the "caching" of the next track. Grooveshark begins downloading the following track 30 seconds before the end of the current one.

*Burns up battery 20% faster now.
    --- After applying the new updates and turning off what logging I could, the performance improved, but it's still burning up about 10% faster.

*Having sound distortion issue, restarting pulseaudio fixes, but annoying
    --- One of the more frustrating issues. Like others have seen, even "restarting" Pulse Audio isn't helping. I have to completely restart the device.

*Drops wifi pretty regularly
    --- No improvement here, yet. I'll be surfing and suddenly the signal will turn off. Once I had to actually delete the stored wifi profile to get it back.

* Web Browser failure
    --- After updating the "Private Browsing" patch, my TouchPad soundly rejected the patch, going so far as to not allow the built-in browser to even load. Removed patch to get browser functional again.
    Quote Originally Posted by do_it_now View Post
    I encountered a problem with messaging after update to 3.0.4. Somehow I cannot receive message from my friends with my yahoo account while my skype account works well. (I still can send message and my friends can receive them in both account) I have tried remove my yahoo account and then add again, restart device but it doesnt work. Please help me.
    Any helps are appreciated
    Thanks

same issue here...any solutions..?..I have tried to remove add sync the account but nothing.. I have try to use another account but did not work...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboCAD View Post
    iSilo says in their forum, "We do not have any idea on when this will be fixed. The cause of the problem is somewhere within webOS, where a call by iSilo to update the screen now takes a couple of seconds instead of several milliseconds."
    More updates from iSilo:

"We just got word from HP/Palm that a fix for the issue will be in the next webOS update. When that update will happen, unfortunately we do not know."

and:

"Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do, as the problem lies at the system level and there is no way around it at the application level. The only workaround is for you to revert your device back to webOS 3.0.2."
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    download PulseAudio Restarter. it works and only takes a few seconds.
    I had the same problem but Pulse AudioRestarter didn't fix it for me
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Same here. PulseAudio restarter has not ever fixed the scratchy audio.

ian
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    When I connect to Wifi at work, the "Networking App" pops up to allow me to login to the company's network. If I move to another location or leave the building and return I have to relogin in. This is expected. However, when I get the "Network Login Required" notification and tap on it, the login window is blank. A (time consuming, and annoyingly unnecessary) restart corrects the problem.
    updated 3.0.4 and now i get is a blank white screen when i launch the browser.... help wifi is ok mail and facebook works etc fine
    Quote Originally Posted by fragger View Post
    updated 3.0.4 and now i get is a blank white screen when i launch the browser.... help wifi is ok mail and facebook works etc fine
    I had the same problem.

In my case Removing the Preware Private Browsing addon solved it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    After 3.0.4 update:

Confirmed: Can't charge with the Targus TRUSS case for the TP, distance from TouchStone is to far.

Confirmed: Speakers sometimes go fuzzy sounding, onlya reboot cures the issues.

Also bug in a game called Bug Village (ironic huh). I launch the game just fine, then when going to hit the play button nothing happens. Sometimes have to reboot the TP for the game to function properly.
    after opening the game, minimize but do not close. Reopen it and wait 5 seconds. You will get back functionality in your buttons and can start your game.
    i get errors when i try remove Preware Private Browsing