Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, just testing out 3.0.4 and a few things stood out to me immediately.

First up - graphical glitching on words seems to be FINALLY fixed. I can't be 100% certain on this just yet but I just flipped around some wordy stuff (including wordy posts) and I am seeing clean and properly rendered text! This compared to 3.0.2 where I couldn't do anything without seeing poorly displayed text all over my screen. Huge improvement!

Second - NO MORE RUBBER BANDING WHEN SCROLLING! Huge improvement, I am able to scroll down pages with a flick of the finger and the screen doesn't do that annoying and horrible side-to-side rubber banding. Clean scrolling on everything I'm checking. Wow! You can even slide your finger up and to the side while scrolling and it'll stay tracking down properly. This even works while zoomed in. Awesome fix.

These were my biggest complaints about webOS. Fixing both of them in one whack is beautiful!

Sunspider results are still terrible but web browsing feels improved despite this (speed seems a bit better). The overall OS seems roughly as snappy as it was running overclocked (still at stock speed right now). I look forward to overclocking again when the kernels are all updated - it's going to be amazing.

Keyboard seems more responsive too. This is a great update.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Patches don't work post upgrade (reinstalling) and govnah doesn't recognize uber kernal (uber is not compatible with this update yet).
    Last edited by PerfectHybrid; 10/18/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    mattcyclone likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Does it open pages in new cards in the background? I always had to wait a bit and let it load the page a few seconds before I switched back to my main web card and have the rest load in the background.
    capt4chris likes this.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Woo hoo! The distorted text on webpages was very annoying. Good to see that was fixed. I'm looking forward to non webOS phone support without the sketchy freeTether hack. Hopefully my windows phone 7 is supported.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Does it open pages in new cards in the background? I always had to wait a bit and let it load the page a few seconds before I switched back to my main web card and have the rest load in the background.
    Still appears to behave in this way.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  6.    #6  
    A brief typing test shows my typing speed is up about 15 wpm with TONS less mistakes (100+ mistakes just pre-update, 9 mistakes post-update) That's huge.

I heard the keyboard was more responsive so I tested before and after update. Awesome!

ran the test here:
    Free typing test, practice timed typing test, find your typing speed

65 wpm on the touchpad, 9 mistakes. I feel pretty good about that - I can touchtype 100+ wpm on a keyboard (quick test shows 109wpm) so 65 on a touch-keyboard seems pretty damn nice to me.

lrn2swim likes this.
    Agreed. It feels much better than an overclocked 3.0.2. I can't wait till the overclocking kernels work for 3.0.4!
    This is great news!

PerfectHybrid said the patches and govnah don't work. Do I have to uninstall those before I update? What happens if I don't?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    Woo hoo! The distorted text on webpages was very annoying. Good to see that was fixed. I'm looking forward to non webOS phone support without the sketchy freeTether hack. Hopefully my windows phone 7 is supported.
    crossing fingers here too for my Windows Phone 7!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    This is great news!

PerfectHybrid said the patches and govnah don't work. Do I have to uninstall those before I update? What happens if I don't?
    Govnah works, but the oc'ing kernals don't.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    unfortunately I still have to refresh websites in order to have them update. Even going to sites via bookmark does not update it

hm actually it is a little better. Seems to update going from page to page (I think) but bookmarks doesn't. Maybe I'll try creating new ones and seeing if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by illli; 10/18/2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Uber kernel should be updated within 24 hours when the new kernels source code is released from HP. Hang tight people. (this comment is a grammar nightmare but i have 3 midterms, a lab report and a map test this week.. My brain is fried.)
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Do I uninstall Preware and performance enhancing patches as mentioned in the 'Getting Started' thread before update to 3.0.4?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I noticed with 3.0.2 that certain keys were a pain to type when i was writing something. Especially the "e" key. I would have to press it a couple of times to get it to recognize. I thought it might have been an issue on the display itself in that area but re-sizing didn't make a difference. That issue seems to be gone now with 3.0.4.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    re: rubber banding

It is still possible to scroll left and right. Is this what you mean? I dont see much difference.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Dang, I had just installed all the speed patches last night. Oh well. There was a youtube video awhile back demonstrating that 3.0.3 stock ran faster than 3.0.2 overclocked, so if this is the case with 3.0.4 as well I suppose the speed hacks won't be missed--at least until they're updated.

But the burning question on my mind when I'm able to update: will the SNES app finally run games at full speed and with proper sound?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have a 32gb and a 16gb touchpad. I only updated 1 of them. The overclocked (1.5 ghz) touchpad is still snappier than the updated 3.0.4 version.
    This compares to Anandtech getting 3890 on webos 3.00. Roughly 15% faster. Still not competitive with Android or iOS browsers but a sizable improvement. Keep it up!

Stock speed/no patches.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Ah, bummer. Guess I'll be anticipating the uberkernel fix. Was the unupdated on 3.0.2 or the 3.0.3 leak?

By the way, for anyone who had the hulu fix, does the update undo that?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poqonos View Post
    Do I uninstall Preware and performance enhancing patches as mentioned in the 'Getting Started' thread before update to 3.0.4?
    I plan to.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast