Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Note, I said "action vids". As in high motion.
    Both of those are almost no-motion. They play fine for me too but are not demanding at all.
    Try this one.
    and this one
    (I'm piloting the aircraft in both vids)
    Those vids played ok in 3.0.2 at 1.5Ghz. A little stutter now and again, but generally
    smooth. Now they're always super choppy. If I pause it, it buffers a little
    quicker. Let it play again after it has buffered for a while and playback still sucks
    but the buffering slows down. It really is acting like playback and buffering
    are competing for limited resources.

ian
    Ian, those are fanTASTic videos!! Me want new toys... Ran through both of them on my 3.04 32GB. More than once. Will likely do it again. 480p works perfectly in both, no buffering, stuttering or choppiness at all. slight stuttering at certain points at 720p or 1080p, but I didn't encounter the buffering issues at all, even with 1080p.

Due to prior wireless issues, I recently went from a 2 year old Belkin (OK) to a D-Link 815 (fail) to now a Cisco E2500 N+ dual band router. Better coverage, better speed, etc. 50MBps broadband doesn't hurt either!

The only way I could replicate your issue was by going into Govnah and changing the advanced options on the fly... My Touchpad didn't appear to appreciate that whatsoever... Aside from that, if you do have Govnah installed, my system is currently set up in Advanced Settings as having the CPU Up Threshold at 75% (turns core 2 on sooner under load), and set the I/O Scheduler to NOOP instead of CFQ. Depending upon which wireless router you're on, you may or may not find changing TCP Congestion to RENO vs. CUBIC can make a difference. Seems to vary by Router, and how far away you are.

Worth a shot, anyhow. Thank you for the vicarious thrill of drilling holes in the sky!
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    does anyone know if the new update allows ad-hoc connections now?
    Still can't connect to ad-hoc wifi... big disappointment
    This update is truly great. I'm shocked there are people complaining about it. It fixed probably my 3 biggest issues with the TP:

1. NO MORE BOUNCING IN THE BROWSER! YES!!!!

2. THEY SEEMED TO HAVE FIXED THE KEYBOARD. I SEEM TO HIT THE WRONG KEY MUCH LESS AND IT SEEMS MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE. As far as autocorrect, I could care less because I already found it so annoying BEFORE that I had turned it off.

3. THEY FIXED SKYPE!!!!! I can now actually have a normal video chat convo with my friends via Skype. Last night I did it from my TP to my friends MACBOOK and he was shocked at how much clearer my video was. Even in the little screen that shows your own feed I could tell it was a LOT better. Also, I use to get major complaints about feedback on my end which I was told last night was not an issue.

Overall I'm very pleased with this update and can't wait for the patches to come back.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    Ian, those are fanTASTic videos!! Me want new toys... Ran through both of them on my 3.04 32GB. More than once. Will likely do it again. 480p works perfectly in both, no buffering, stuttering or choppiness at all. slight stuttering at certain points at 720p or 1080p, but I didn't encounter the buffering issues at all, even with 1080p.
    Thanks.
    I eventually fixed my buffering problem by manually editing /etc/palm/luna.conf
    and removing the download manager speed limit as described here
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...d-manager.html
    When the updated Unthrottle Download Manager patch is available for 3.0.4 that
    should help other people. Given what I've seen, I think that throttling actually
    burns CPU cycles somehow, so having a fast connection that needs to be throttled,
    may interfere with playback more than having a slower connection that doesn't
    need to be throttled, but can still stay ahead of playback speed.

As of right now, my high motion vids pretty much play as you describe.
    480p is buttery smooth. 720p buffers fine, but isn't quite as smooth. I also notice
    that by about halfway through, it seems to get a little more jumpy. If I switch
    from 720 to 480 and back to 720 it smooths out again. I saw this behavior in
    3.0.2. That the longer a vid plays, the most likely it is to get choppy.
    It's interesting to note that as long as it buffers fast enough, 1080p plays
    exactly the same as 720p.

ian
    The update made proxy server support worse :/ can't even connect to the Internet in my university wifi and proxy apps from preware no longer work.
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I just noticed that the TouchPad time was off about ten Minutes [It was fast]

Checked and Network time was selected.

I adjusted the time manually. Kept Network time On.

Tic Tock........
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Hmm, I guess it's encouraging to know that they *can* buffer and play smoothly.
    I just wish I knew why they play so dreadfully on my Touchpad now, when they
    worked just fine in 3.0.2 before. My experience is quite literally the opposite of yours.
    Have you done any patching yet? Turn off logging?
    I haven't touched anything yet in 3.0.4.

ian

I let my 3rd Touchpad update to 3.04 via OTA this morning. It was running at 1.5GHz
    as well as almost all the patches recommended on this forum. After it was done, I
    played the high-motion 720p YouTube videos you were talking about. The videos took
    a while to buffer and was extremely laggy... almost unwatchable. Probably some
    sort of conflict between the Preware patches and 3.04 via OTA.

After I did a full erase and used webOS Doctor to update it to 3.04(the same way I updated
    my other 2 Touchpads), the same YouTube videos played flawlesslessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I let my 3rd Touchpad update to 3.04 via OTA this morning. It was running at 1.5GHz
    as well as almost all the patches recommended on this forum. After it was done, I
    played the high-motion 720p YouTube videos you were talking about. The videos took

After I did a full erase and used webOS Doctor to update it to 3.04(the same way I updated
    my other 2 Touchpads), the same YouTube videos played flawlesslessly.
    I did OTA and everything works better than before even with the patches and Warthog at 1.7. Not sure what the problem is? I can even play some 1080p videos now which I couldn't before.
    ^same here warthog and all previously
    Loaded this up:

once it buffered from 0:00 1080p played without lag.

I hope everyone remembers to disable logs again...
    Last edited by mibaksh; 10/19/2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: remember to disable logs
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Damn, I can't believe they still haven't fixed my number one gripe with Web OS: lack of ad-hoc networking support. How do we get their attention on this???
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ribeyesteaks View Post
    Damn, I can't believe they still haven't fixed my number one gripe with Web OS: lack of ad-hoc networking support. How do we get their attention on this???
    Have you tried any of the suggestions here:

How can the TouchPad access the internet connection from my phone? - Page 3 - PreCentral Forums

?
    ^^ no, I'm not interested in connecting to a pseudo ad-hoc wifi network that is created by a phone. I'm interested in connecting to a real ad-hoc wifi network created in Windows, etc... This can only be accomplished when Web OS provides native ad-hoc networking support.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    The update simply overwrote the files affected by the patches, so there should be
    no conflict. I eventually got mine to work by
    1. Shutdown/restart again (has helped a lot of other people after the update)
    2. Clear browser cache and cookies (still had stuff from before the update)
    3. Manually unthrottle the Download manager as described above

ian
    I noticed that the new camera app has poor resolution grainy pictures. Before the update I was using Freecam for Touchpad and Digicamera Lite and both gave me clear pics. After the update Freecam doesn't work anymore and Digicamera Lite gives me the same grainy pics now as the new camera app that came with 3.0.4. Now whenever I start the Digicamera, for a sec it gave me a clear pic view and then quickly switched to the grainy pic view. The Skype video chat is also grainy while it was clearer under 3.0.2. Is this grainy view a common experience for everyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectHybrid View Post
    Patches don't work post upgrade (reinstalling) and govnah doesn't recognize uber kernal (uber is not compatible with this update yet).
    ok so thats whats going on with the cpu settings topping out at 1.88

I THOUGHT the reason for this was the default profile with Govnah had changed. (I'm a newbie with webOS )

So what do we do? wait on uber to update? get something to replace govnah that will work with uber?

thanks
    Harry
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    So, just testing out 3.0.4 and a few things stood out to me immediately.

First up - graphical glitching on words seems to be FINALLY fixed. I can't be 100% certain on this just yet but I just flipped around some wordy stuff (including wordy posts) and I am seeing clean and properly rendered text! This compared to 3.0.2 where I couldn't do anything without seeing poorly displayed text all over my screen. Huge improvement!

Second - NO MORE RUBBER BANDING WHEN SCROLLING! Huge improvement, I am able to scroll down pages with a flick of the finger and the screen doesn't do that annoying and horrible side-to-side rubber banding. Clean scrolling on everything I'm checking. Wow! You can even slide your finger up and to the side while scrolling and it'll stay tracking down properly. This even works while zoomed in. Awesome fix.

These were my biggest complaints about webOS. Fixing both of them in one whack is beautiful!

Sunspider results are still terrible but web browsing feels improved despite this (speed seems a bit better). The overall OS seems roughly as snappy as it was running overclocked (still at stock speed right now). I look forward to overclocking again when the kernels are all updated - it's going to be amazing.

Keyboard seems more responsive too. This is a great update.
    I would agree, this update has sped things up quite well. Without 'Warthog', 'muffle system logging' or 'remove riple effect' patches my TP is plugging along quite nicely. I have no lag in any app so far. Apps are fully functional after initial launch without the customary 5-10 sec lag. Of course with 1.7 o.c and a few patches reinstalled it will probably be mind 'alteringly' fast! Nice job HP.

from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    EA

Veer
    [QUOTE=epajet;3214917]I would agree, this update has sped things up quite well. Without 'Warthog', 'muffle system logging' or 'remove riple effect' patches my TP is plugging along quite nicely. I have no lag in any app so far. Apps are fully functional after initial launch without the customary 5-10 sec lag. Of course with 1.7 o.c and a few patches reinstalled it will probably be mind 'alteringly' fast! Nice job HP.
    [color=#999999]

Hear! Hear! I just ran Lithium and was VERY pleased with the results:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...ml#post3214930

While he 3.04 kernel at 1.188 is not as fast as some iterations of the 3.02 F15 or F4 Kernels @1.836 GHz (my favorite...), but when set to performance, appears to come in comparable to the 3.02 Warthog kernel, even without muffle system logging, etc...

CanNOT wait for what this Touchpad is going to be like in another week or two, once WebOS Internals (Unixpsycho, Rod and... and...) have their way with 3.04... It may even distract me from my new HP 8560w quad-core workstation laptop...
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Love love love no more rubber banding!!!
    HP Touchpad 16GB - webOS 3.0.4 - UberKernel
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - webOS 1.4.5 - UberKernel retired
  19. z0g
    Does the update enable the camera in chatroulette?
    This is strange. I was able to play 720p youtube videos after the 3.04 update yesterday. But today I'm getting slow buffer and can barely watch. Tried deleting cookies and cache and rebooting to no avail.

any ideas?