Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the usable range of the TouchPads WiFi with no obstructions? I can only get about 300 ft at my current location (outdoors), which is just short of what I need. I could move my router, but that would require about 100 ft of cat-5. If the range is good enough, I'll invest in the wire.

I know it's more about the transmit power of the TouchPad more than the router.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Sounds like you're already doing pretty well with 300 feet.

From what I have read the Touchpad is generally regarded to have decent WiFi range compared to other tablets.

Try and make sure you have line-of-sight if possible. WiFi frequencies don't travel through walls well at all. Generally getting a bit of altitude normally helps too.

You might also be able to get directional WiFi antenna for the router. And there are lots of examples on the net of homebrewed solutions, such as the Cantenna or DIY reflector dishes.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I tried a reflector, it gained me a few feet. There are a few trees in the way, but where I'm thinking of moving the router (to my workshop) it would have a direct line of sight to where I need it, however that involves running cat-5 outside.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    You can get WiFi repeaters. One of those and a 20dB yagi antenna should do it, but I suspect the cat-5 will be cheaper.

Wish my place was big enough to have the same problem. )