Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Genuine Tpad newbie here....

I use Thunderbird as my main PC mail client. I'm finding the Tpad mail app a useful adjunct to that in pre-screening mail on the server, and obviously, mobile email situations. But to be useful when I will be away on vacation, I need my address book or contacts list available on the Tpad, and I cannot find out how to do that. There is no reference to that in the manual.

I managed to create a CSV file of my Tbird address book and mailed it to myself on the Tpad. But now how do I convert that into a Tpad contacts list that I can address mail to?

When I tapped the file attachment, the Tpad tried to open the Office app, but stalled.

jgb-tpad
    Is it a gmail account? If so its as easy as adding your google account as an account under the contacts section.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Is it a gmail account? If so its as easy as adding your google account as an account under the contacts section.
    Not a Google account. The host is Rogers-Yahoo, but the contacts list/address book is on my PC in Thunderbird. It is not on the server.

I made a copy of my list in CSV format in order to import it to pretty much any mail client.
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad
    Yes.. 'jgbtpad', I asked exactly this question here a couple of weeks ago.. ziltch respondo from anyone, I think!

I ended up just USB loading from PC, the (long) CSV list converted from T'bird as a (PC notepad) text_doc which opens fine in TP Quickoffice.. so that it at least was all IN the same machine!

I suppose one then has to stuff around individually copy/pasting to TP 'Contacts'?.. Or typing each across?
    Something I too, REALLY wanted to avoid doing!

Aargghh!

Maybe someone will develop/tell us a majik way!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/17/2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Right now the contact list is an attachment to my email in my drafts folder.
    I'm gonna try again to open it in Office.
    jgb (Tpad)
    but this does seem to be a missing link in the WebOs infrastructure. Namely, support for connecting to an ldap server! Not everyone wants to be giving their personal info away to large corporations whose purpose in life is to show you adds.

Someone could always write a new service to make this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbtpad View Post
    Right now the contact list is an attachment to my email in my drafts folder.
    I'm gonna try again to open it in Office.
    Is your machine running on WebOS 3.0.2 update yet?
    That kicks a few brains into Quickoffice.. like 'editing'!
    What was the format of the attachment?

I found it easier to USB a PC Notepad_txt file across into my created 'Docs' folder in TP for Quickoffice to find.

Good luck.. I dont know any other way in WebOS yet.

~~~

'jamarks' - '..Not everyone wants to be giving their personal info away to large corporations whose purpose in life is to show you adds..'

(Or pass it on to Govt Agencies etc!)

Freaking exactly! I'd rather have the 'list' sitting quietly on my un-HP-backed-up machine.. for when I may really need it 'on the road'!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/17/2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    A few suggestions here. IF you're ok with uploading the CSV to Yahoo (same applies if GMail, etc...) upload to Yahoo & let synergy create the users on WebOS.

The other option would include ponying up for Chapura (I think it's released for WebOS 3.x now....) & syncing your data that way: would require you to pre-load your TB data over to Outlook first.

Yes: the lack of PC <--> WebOS sync option is a gap. Sadly: one that's becoming more common in the industry (ie: WinPhone 7)

Good luck..
    I second that. My need was similar but in the opposite direction.
    I was so impressed with syngery and its contact management capabilities that I wanted the my sync'ed contacts on my PC/Thunderbird.
    I ended up using Google contacts and an google contact syncing extension on Thunderbird.
    Let me know if you find a better way!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    A few suggestions here. IF you're ok with uploading the CSV to Yahoo (same applies if GMail, etc...) upload to Yahoo & let synergy create the users on WebOS.

The other option would include ponying up for Chapura (I think it's released for WebOS 3.x now....) & syncing your data that way: would require you to pre-load your TB data over to Outlook first.

Yes: the lack of PC <--> WebOS sync option is a gap. Sadly: one that's becoming more common in the industry (ie: WinPhone 7)

Good luck..
    Personally, I have spent years deliberately keeping my email address lists AWAY from both Yahoo & Google!

I use a .org address for my 'private' mail generally.

Seems a great yawning gap indeed, that WebOS Mail Client wont 'see' WAB or LDIF or even CSV/TXT Files!

I suppose as the great Global Brain 'synchs up', it starts getting ideas of it's own!

OK!

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlewy View Post
    I second that. My need was similar but in the opposite direction.
    I was so impressed with syngery and its contact management capabilities that I wanted the my sync'ed contacts on my PC/Thunderbird.
    I ended up using Google contacts and an google contact syncing extension on Thunderbird.
    Let me know if you find a better way!
    Personally, with my Pre+, I use Chapura for my business account (Outlook Cal, Contacts, Tasks & Memos) and Google + Google Cal sync (Outlook) + CSV uploads for Personal. Imperfect solution, but works pretty good for me.

What you do with TBird sounds slightly better (ie Google contact sync), so, no better ideas here.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This thread has become Interesting. I guess it points out the sloppyness of the WEBOS designers who neglected to put in place such basic functionS as NAV KEYS, contacts transfer, quit keys and others too numerous to mention.

Least of all making the spell checker work properly in web based replies. It tells you you made a mistrake, but won't suggest corrections as it does elsewhere.

Pads were supposed to make it easier. I don't know about other pads, but Palm/HP blew it here. Those basic functions could have been part of the last os update but wasn't.

Anyway, as to my posted problem, pulling a CSV file into my contacts list. Other than an acedemic exercise, it is no longer a problem for me. I was on the road and had no time or opourtunity to play. I manually entered the 70 odd names into a contacts list, whose format, BTW is screwy to say the least. Probably took less time and effort than going through the conversion maze. QOffice still won't open the CSV attachment.
    jgb (Tpad)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbtpad View Post
    ................I guess it points out the sloppyness of the WEBOS designers who neglected to put in place such basic functionS as NAV KEYS, contacts transfer, quit keys and others too numerous to mention.............
    It was a stated ambition, rightly or wrongly, that webOS would not need / have desktop sync. I appreciate some peeps are not keen on on popping their address book into their google account, but it really does work well.

Would setting up your own exchange server or account with someone like mail2web be an alternative??
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3