Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #1  
    I had a bad feeling about this ever since I spoke to HP trade show guys last week of June and they seemed more interested in windows tablets even as they held touchpad prototypes in their hands. Will they regret this choice?

Some PC vendors switching to Windows 8-based tablet PCs

Some PC vendors, including Hewlett-Packard (HP) and Dell, reportedly plan to venture into the development of Microsoft's Windows 8-based tablet PCs with the new models likely to be launched in the third quarter of 2012, according to industry sources...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    As expected, I'm wondering whether it was MS applying some pressure that drove to killing webOS. I had a gateway deja-vu right away (Gateway forced by MS to kill new Amiga developments).
    Vistaus likes this.
  3.    #3  
    best hope is they sold webOS cleanly and are just waiting for close to announce the sale publicly. Maybe they keep some rights go Enyo development of apps for other platforms for enterprise
    Stupid HP. They're too money hungry to truly innovate again. To them, screw the development costs and just let M$ do the hard work.

HP, please let webOS go.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    As expected, I'm wondering whether it was MS applying some pressure that drove to killing webOS. I had a gateway deja-vu right away (Gateway forced by MS to kill new Amiga developments).
    I think the "pressure" that they applied was Windows 8 - once it became clear that Windows was going tablet and touch friendly, I think that blew a big hole through this idea that they would bundle WebOS on their desktops as a way of growing share and it's value.
    I have suspected that Microsoft brought pressure on HP to suspend development of webOS products since the announcement HP planned to put webOS on PC computers residing with Windows. I only hope it comes to light and the Federal Trade Commission steps in to shutdown companies like HP and MS from this kind of business practice.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    I have suspected that Microsoft brought pressure on HP to suspend development of webOS products since the announcement HP planned to put webOS on PC computers residing with Windows.

I only hope it comes to light and the Federal Trade Commission steps in to shutdown companies like HP and MS from this kind of business practice.
    I like how you leap in the first paragraph from saying you suspect to demanding action in the second paragraph as if it's a proven fact!
    Vistaus likes this.
  8.    #8  
    My sense from those HP employees at the trade show end of last June was just that they knew and liked Microsoft. HP has many employees who probably have been fed for some years off sales of PCs running MSFT software. webOS was an upstart, a little fledgling that needed to be supported in order to gain share and HP gave up too soon.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I'm confused (as usual). HP announced that they were no longer going to remain in the hardware business. Then they fired that buffoon Leo (sorry, I cannot put that silly accent agu or grav or whatever on the "e" because it only serves to make him more of a clown) and the new CEO said she would make a decision on the hardware production issue shortly.

Then word leaks that HP will be making windows tablets?

So, this means they are going to make hardware, no?

If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to make devices that run windows 8 but can also be used with webOS? Why would they continue to make hardware and not try and build on the suddenly growing webOS user base?

Oh, wait, I know. Because they're HP and doing the smart thing is not in the program.
    Pretty sure I am near my breaking point since having a Palm Pre on Sprint and waiting on webOS phones and progression. Once Windows announces some new Windows Phones on Sprint I will move on to WP7 or get an iPhone 4S w/ Sprint. I can't take the lack of support and info anymore...I want to stay with webOS sooo much, but the lack of updates/info over the years is becoming enough. :-/
    As expected, I'm wondering whether it was MS applying some pressure that drove to killing webOS. I had a gateway deja-vu right away (Gateway forced by MS
    to kill new Amiga developments).
    I raised this possibility in another thread. Ms may have had some hand in helping dump webos
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    I'm confused (as usual). HP announced that they were no longer going to remain in the hardware business. Then they fired that buffoon Leo (sorry, I cannot put that silly accent agu or grav or whatever on the "e" because it only serves to make him more of a clown) and the new CEO said she would make a decision on the hardware production issue shortly.

Then word leaks that HP will be making windows tablets?

So, this means they are going to make hardware, no?

If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to make devices that run windows 8 but can also be used with webOS? Why would they continue to make hardware and not try and build on the suddenly growing webOS user base?

Oh, wait, I know. Because they're HP and doing the smart thing is not in the program.
    Aren't HP & M$ 'bedmates' of old?

They just can't let go of each other and move on it seems!

Whatever happens, I suspect M$ will come 3rd in the longer term 'race' anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    I'm confused (as usual). HP announced that they were no longer going to remain in the hardware business. Then they fired that buffoon Leo (sorry, I cannot put that silly accent agu or grav or whatever on the "e" because it only serves to make him more of a clown)
    I prefer to to think of Leo as a DUFASS.

Haven't found a site yet that blocks that word
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    this isnt really anything new. hp has had other tablets with windows before. one example: HP Slate 500 Tablet PC

so i dont equate this news as hp killing webos, since they had windows tablets out before. really, hp buying palm was a bad idea from the start. this company is a mess. and probably so large that one hand doesnt know what the other is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I raised this possibility in another thread. Ms may have had some hand in helping dump webos
    I am pretty sure its slow sales, sluggish development and problematic framework for the past two years had more to do with it than MS....
    Oh well, looks like the Touchpad will be my last HP purchase. I'd rather get an iPad than a windows HP tablet. To each their own though.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    So they are going to wait until 3rd quarter of 2012, basically a year from now before they release another tablet, and it's going to run Windows 8.

HP cracks me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Aren't HP & M$ 'bedmates' of old?

They just can't let go of each other and move on it seems!

Whatever happens, I suspect M$ will come 3rd in the longer term 'race' anyway!

HP and Microsoft are connected at the hip (or thereabouts)
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    At least I know now not to buy anymore HP products. They are total idiots. Too bad some other company didn't purchase Palm. HP ruined them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    I have suspected that Microsoft brought pressure on HP to suspend development of webOS products since the announcement HP planned to put webOS on PC computers residing with Windows. I only hope it comes to light and the Federal Trade Commission steps in to shutdown companies like HP and MS from this kind of business practice.
    You don't think it's more likely that, I dunno, HP found it really really hard to sell webOS products?
    cgk likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast