Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree27Likes
    I haven't read through all four pages; but the articles I have seen indicated that HP has always had windows tablets for commercial purposes and it isn't clear if HP will be using windows 8 for consumer tablets or for the already established commercial ones...there doesn't seem to be any definitive news about a consumer tablet...

is this correct or am I way out of line?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    I haven't read through all four pages; but the articles I have seen indicated that HP has always had windows tablets for commercial purposes and it isn't clear if HP will be using windows 8 for consumer tablets or for the already established commercial ones...there doesn't seem to be any definitive news about a consumer tablet...

is this correct or am I way out of line?
    If HP retains PSG, they will have to make tablets for consumer. No definitive news either way although with the WSJ running an article suggesting this is a possibility to retain PSG, I give it more than 50% odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    What were they thinking when they ordered up 1 million units? Did they think just by making that many, that they would sell that many?

They should have launched with a smaller order, at a lower price, and an idea that they were investing in a user base that they would monetize on a subscription type model.
    Not buying in to this. They should have ditched the hw design of the Touchpad in favor of the Touchpad Go last fall, ordered up a million units and released the GO with the Pre 3 as the intial two devices . Follow those up with the Veer.
    If they had ditched the original TP design HW last fall, they might have made a spring release with the GO and the Pre 3. Palm was forced to dedicate resources to the TP and the Veer that could have been used in an all out assault to get the GO and the Pre 3 to launch.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/18/2011 at 12:42 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Aren't HP & M$ 'bedmates' of old?

They just can't let go of each other and move on it seems!

Whatever happens, I suspect M$ will come 3rd in the longer term 'race' anyway!

I thought 13 year olds grew out of the old "M$" stuff back in 2003. Guess not.

I think this is great news - no matter how great WebOS was (or had the potential to be, to be fair) it wasn't going to compete against Android and iOS who have already established themselves in the public mind. If the Touchpad had come out against the iPad, maybe, but HP blew their chance to get into the market with the Slate. The only thing that has a chance against iOS and Android are Windows based devices that have the potential to replace people's laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    As expected, I'm wondering whether it was MS applying some pressure that drove to killing webOS. I had a gateway deja-vu right away (Gateway forced by MS to kill new Amiga developments).
    i thought gateway were incompetent and were mostly after the patents/tech, didnt they start licencing the tech for kiosk/lottery machines and stuff?
    I thought 13 year olds grew out of the old "M$" stuff back in 2003. Guess not.

Nope. Old habits die hard. Though in pure corporate evil, Apple has microsoft surpassed. Good for them.
    Okay all, time to fess up...I am a TabletPC user and came here to read and learn about the Touchpad back when it was still 'coming out.' I have a Fujitsu Q550 that I use daily and, although I came to the conclusion that a TP would not work for me for what I use it for, I did read about and fall in love with a Pre2 and bought 2 of them.

Anyway, I read here now that people that want Windows are just "M$ lovers." No, not really. We are users that need to interface with work networks and edit or transmit documents in the language of the corporate world...MS Office.

For me, if the TP had handwriting recognition, a pen for input, and OpenOffice I would be on it in a heartbeat. Different tools for different purposes is all it is.

But, alas, my long windedness has derailed the real reason I am posting this. The real reason is this....

I wonder if WebOS was killed by threats from Apple.

The announcement of the discontinuation came days after the 'win' by Apple in the EU banning the Galaxy Tab from sale on intellectual property violations. I can see Apple informing HP 'you're next' and potentially leading to this knee jerk reaction.

The other thing I wonder is if the defection of the WebOS guru to Google to develop 'Ice Cream Sandwhich', which is highlighed right here in the news as being very WebOS like, may also have contributed. Was WebOS derailed for a long term run out from under HP?

Gosh, what a corporate disaster!
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234