Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You don't think it's more likely that, I dunno, HP found it really really hard to sell webOS products?

How hard did they try?
    CvvB and frank-barnett like this.
  2.    #22  
    You don't think it's more likely that, I dunno, HP found it really really hard to sell webOS products?
    They released the TouchPad before it was ready, should not have been released until 3.02 software and with Kindle and QuickOffice. Then they underclocked it (so they could sell the 4G at the regular speed and call it a premium product?). Further, they priced it at the same price as the premium brand in the marketplace before they had built up a following and with the prior year's thickness of shape.

In the meantime, Leo had been busy trying to sell PSG so I get the impression he left Palm alone until springtime after his efforts to sell PSG failed and he was well into conceiving the Autonomy acquisition. At that time (spring) he gave a bunch of mixed messages about webOS, further confusing the marketplace.
    Dsol and frank-barnett like this.
    I hear the best thing to do when running a marathon is quit and go home after a mile because it's really really hard.
    PC magazine is reporting "an HP spokesperson all but confirmed Monday that the computer maker will be building a tablet based on Microsoft's tablet-optimized Windows 8 OS when it's released in 2012. "
    probably the same source as op's article.
    You plug your phone in?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    if touchpad had come out around the time the first ipad did then i think i would have had a better chance.

i'm doubtful about microsoft putting pressure on hp. i mean, there have been other companies that had other os-type solutions loaded onto windows computers. example:

hyperspace

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe mobo with embedded Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post

i'm doubtful about microsoft putting pressure on hp. i mean, there have been other companies that had other os-type solutions loaded onto windows computers. example:

hyperspace

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe mobo with embedded Linux
    Not really close to the same thing at all. Those are "pre-boot" OSes meant to get you to simple functions from a cold start rather than waiting on Windows to finish booting. HP was going to run webOS on top of Windows according to them.
    Hp really didn't try to sell webOS devices. The Vzw Pre 2 was launched as a footnote at the Think Beyond. The Veer got a "soft launch", the TouchPad got a "soft launch", the Pre 3 didn't even get a press release when it was released in Europe, and the flagship phone didn't even see the light of day here in the states.

HP has lost it's way. They are sitting on a gold mine, which they spent 1.2 Billion for, and just threw it out to the gutter, just so they could run back to Microsoft & license their OS. Oh well, it is what it is.
    I think HP found it really hard to sell there products to the wireless providers. They really never had a chance to sell them to the public, and they only gave the touchpad a few weeks of sales before they folded. HP just GAVE UP!!!
    I think HP found it really hard to fix problems in WebOS, because they basically didnt. I think thats why they found it hard to sell to carriers. I think thats why they gave their devices soft launches.
    chalx likes this.
  10.    #30  
    where is Rubinstein and DeWitt in all this? Do you think Rubinstein was appleinsider's source for the talks?
    andresmmm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I hear the best thing to do when running a marathon is quit and go home after a mile because it's really really hard.
    It never was a marathon and I suspect they knew that all along. In this market, you have to make an immediate impact or else there's no reason for your product to exist and you quickly get squeezed out.

I actually think HP tried pretty damn hard to sell webOS. The Veer was an unthinkably stupid product but at least it was different and stood out. They bought an insane amount of air time to promote the TouchPad and signed up the second best boxer in the world, Katy Perry's husband, and the effervescent Rachel Barry to promote it. They put demo units in every retailer that stocked the TouchPad. The "it's just a soft launch and we're actually targeting the enterprise, honest!" rhetoric only came after the TouchPad bombed at retail.
  12.    #32  
    hmmm if amazon is buyer they could design apps using webOS for all their enterprise customers, HP gets a piece of this via data analytics...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Not really close to the same thing at all. Those are "pre-boot" OSes meant to get you to simple functions from a cold start rather than waiting on Windows to finish booting. HP was going to run webOS on top of Windows according to them.
    I think you are mistaken, unless you can provide a link to what you say.
    IIRC, they did say they were going to run "webOS in a window" on top of Windows. In true HP fashion, nobody knew what the hell that meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    So they are going to wait until 3rd quarter of 2012, basically a year from now before they release another tablet, and it's going to run Windows 8.

HP cracks me up.
    Wait, you really think these new Windows 8 Tablets from HP will be in the hands of users by 3Q 2012? Remember the HP Slate 500 launch in 4Q 2010? We likely won't see any Windows tablets ship from HP until 1Q or 2Q 2013

On one hand, HP cracks me up too. On the other hand I shed tears of sorrow ....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/17/2011 at 07:18 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Wait, you really think these new Windows 8 Tablets from HP will be in the hands of users by 3Q 2012? Remember the HP Slate 500 launch in 4Q 2010? We likely won't see any Windows tablets ship from HP until 1Q or 2Q 2013
    Not really, I'm just going by what the article says though. Either way, I'm sure by the time HP releases another tablet, I'll be rocking a 3rd or 4th gen iPad with retina display & it's 1 million+ apps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    We all know that HP and MS are best friends. Hopefully HP will share webOS knowledge with MS if they are after the big money.
    Maybe in the long run we'll have a decent Windows 8 thanks to webOS (which they won't tell, of course). And if the TouchPad still has the right guts around the time Windows 8 starts rolling out, MS hopefully will allow us to install it.
    I'd rather see webOS survive on its own, though.
    cujoq37 and delacro like this.
    Unless M$ completely abandons the traditional PC software model for a walled garden, Win8 tablet should be improvement over iOS. Still not as good as webOS though.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The windows 8 tablets are for the enterprise customers,and HP said back when they bought Palm that they would continue to do windows tablets focused on the enterprise.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Unless M$ completely abandons the traditional PC software model for a walled garden, Win8 tablet should be improvement over iOS. Still not as good as webOS though.
    MS can't and won't. There are lots of people doing professional work on computers that cannot be replaced by touch nor by tablets in any way.
    This makes the fact MS is moving all into one OS even more scary, though.

I'm afraid that we'll be dragging around all that unnecessary heavy OS weight with us on our Windows 8 tablets for no use.
    What if you 'just' want to browse the web, or 'just' want to read your emails, or 'just' want to play a game? Will we still be bugged by Windows' slow boot times again on our tablets? Get updates that nobody understands what they are for, and all of those reboots to finish updates to finally... do the simple thing we initially wanted to do?

Look at the big contrast today. Miscosoft would not be able to explain why we're going through all this trouble, even with Windows 7. When there's a tablet to grab that can do all the things you want in just seconds, you're about to ignore the PC! Shame on MS!

MS Windows is way behind and HP gave up too quickly with webOS.
    bluenote and cujoq37 like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast