webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Bluetooth headset on my TouchPad
Bluetooth headset on my TouchPad

Old 10/17/2011, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have paired a Motorola S10-HD headphone with my TP with no problem. Tested it first with AudiophileHD, worked as it should and good sound quality. I next tested on my KalemSoft by starting a movie, again all was well. I went into TuneIn and no sound on any radio station. I discovered by accident that if I turn on Audiophile, I get both the radio and Audiophile, however if I pause the Audiophile I only get the radio. I have since tested using KalemSoft and the same applies. I have to leave either app open and paused in order to continue with the radio.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Perhaps a patch is needed or a fix for TuneIn? Any suggestions?

Last edited by rangerf6; 10/17/2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: wrond devise
rangerf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by jhuffman64, namgod
Old 10/18/2011, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Drop into the forum here for the tuning dev and let them know you're having problems with bluetooth and their app

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2011, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm using the S9-HD and it works great for movies and music. I don't have Tunein but tried it with IHeart radio and there is no sound, I didn't try any other combination.
Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

There's nothing that developers can do about Bluetooth in the applications. Bluetooth is handled strictly by the operating system itself so if you're having audio issues, inform HP about compatibility problems so they can look into it.

Doc
Old 10/19/2011, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just wanted to report that Pandora works fine with the Motorola S9-HD headset and is still working after updating to WebOS 3.04.

Last edited by Kwas; 10/19/2011 at 10:00 AM.
Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Incorrect, there are specific things that have to be configured properly in order to get it to playback on a headset. I just read a topic on that about two weeks ago over in the official developer forums. If I run across it again, I'll try to remember to link back here

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/20/2011, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

if the headset works with one app but not another, its not the TP or the headset at issue but the app. Mine works with the Pandora app but won't with Kalem. Haven't found a solution yet
toaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Incorrect, there are specific things that have to be configured properly in order to get it to playback on a headset. I just read a topic on that about two weeks ago over in the official developer forums. If I run across it again, I'll try to remember to link back here

Yeah, setting the audio class to media which is standard for any media application for HTML5 based apps. The rest is handled by the operating system. There is a bug in the bluetooth stack though which causes it to not recognize devices as A2DP in which case you won't get the "media" audio coming over bluetooth. There's also a difference between C++ applications and HTML5 applications and privileges (undocumented SDK elements) that certain apps are allowed to use (such as Pandora) that other apps aren't allowed to use. I'll see about getting our app permission to use a few of these such as media locking but the question right now is who exactly do we talk to over at HP/Palm...

Doc
Old 10/20/2011, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaste View Post
if the headset works with one app but not another, its not the TP or the headset at issue but the app. Mine works with the Pandora app but won't with Kalem. Haven't found a solution yet
There are no bluetooth specific controls for the SDK except for controlling bluetooth GPS and bluetooth remote control events (i.e. play/stop/volume up/down). It's not something that is programmed into the application at a low level. You can confirm this yourself by downloading the freely available SDK at developer.palm.com. Certain applications have special permissions to use undocumented SDK properties such as media locking which I'm sure helps a lot in terms of getting bluetooth audio working properly as it locks the app as a media application at startup. But, these are only available to a few select applications (and we aren't one of them).

There's also a difference between a PDK application versus HTML5 applications and how the system handles bluetooth. Sound in the PDK is handled very rudimentarily with minimal routing directly to the audio processor of the operating system (which I believe is still gstreamer). The audio libraries are basically integrated into the application when it's compiled. HTML5 applications, on the other hand, use additional layers in order to get audio to work. You have the web audio layer on top of the Enyo layer which then backends to the Enyo libraries which then send to the audio processor. If any of these layers has a bug in it, there's going to be an issue. But, us developers can only really control one layer of it when it comes to audio and that's the web audio layer. There's really only one way of handling audio in a web app (two if you include the very basic Enyo.Sound library but that doesn't work well for streaming audio and is meant more for things like sound board applications or game web apps).

On the audio side of things, our Touchpad application uses the same audio setup as our Palm Pre/Pixi application (both use HTML5 audio with the audio class set to media). If you have a Pre/Pixi you should be able to confirm that bluetooth audio works pretty flawlessly in our Pre app with the occasional hiccup. This leads me to say that it has to be a bug in either Enyo or the operating system itself, particularly in the way that bluetooth audio is routed for media application without media locking and there's not really anything that we can do about it. If we could, we would. We'd like to be able to deliver a perfect application but our hands are tied working within the confines of a very limited SDK.

Doc
Old 10/20/2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I installed and downloaded 3.0.4 and the audio problem with TuneIn is still there, and still works as I outlined in my first post.

DocLee, I think I understand what you are saying, however I wonder why only TuneIn is subject to this. If indeed this is a problem with HP software or Enyo wouldn't AudiophileHD, Pandora and KalemSoft have this problem? I did note in the posts from xninjagrrl and Kwas, that Internet Radio Pro and IHeart Radio both have this problem. The common thread here is streaming internet radio. I also would like to point out that according to the post by toaste that Pandora radio works, wonder what they are doing different in their streaming? I have not tested Pandora yet, but will download and test sometime tomorrow. Ah what the heck, why wait. Up and playing thru headphones and sounding good.
Old 10/21/2011, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerf6 View Post
I installed and downloaded 3.0.4 and the audio problem with TuneIn is still there, and still works as I outlined in my first post.

DocLee, I think I understand what you are saying, however I wonder why only TuneIn is subject to this. If indeed this is a problem with HP software or Enyo wouldn't AudiophileHD, Pandora and KalemSoft have this problem? I did note in the posts from xninjagrrl and Kwas, that Internet Radio Pro and IHeart Radio both have this problem. The common thread here is streaming internet radio. I also would like to point out that according to the post by toaste that Pandora radio works, wonder what they are doing different in their streaming? I have not tested Pandora yet, but will download and test sometime tomorrow. Ah what the heck, why wait. Up and playing thru headphones and sounding good.
Audiophile HD and Kalemsoft are both PDK applications. Pandora is one of those special applications allowed to use media locking and other undocumented sdk elements not available to all developers. Internet Radio Pro, iheart, and TuneIn are all HTML5 apps.

As stated, the common thing between the apps that do not function correctly is HTML5 and no media locking as I've explained above which means that the issues are almost certainly Enyo/WebOS related; not application related. Really, there's nothing that we developers can do to change it as we do not have access to low level Bluetooth audio routing in the sdk. There's nothing to check off or code in or activate or anything like that. It's an operating system issue with the way Enyo interacts with the audio subsystem which we have no control over.

Doc
Old 10/21/2011, 06:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll do some poking at this . . My Bluetooth headphones are on a FedEx truck awaiting delivery to my house right now. Although the FedEx website says it'll take 4 days to arrive here, even though I could go intercept the driver on foot right now. :|

Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/22/2011, 01:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ugh, I can't get anything at all to work with my new Bluetooth set. Everything recognizes it as a "music device" rather than a comm device, and I can't find any software for PC or Touchpad that is actually outputting to it. Wth?

Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/22/2011, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ok I did finally get it to work. I heart radio and tunein are the only two programs I have that play media that do not broadcast thru the Bluetooth they merely make no sound whatsoever at all

Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/22/2011, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Ok I did finally get it to work. I heart radio and tunein are the only two programs I have that play media that do not broadcast thru the Bluetooth they merely make no sound whatsoever at all

Did you try opening either Audiophile or KalemSoft and starting a file and pausing with TuneIn still on and a station showing as streaming? I have not yet tested for sound streaming from ESPN(football game).

Would be good if someone could figure this out and solve the problem.
Old 12/27/2012, 08:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerf6 View Post
I have paired a Motorola S10-HD headphone with my TP with no problem. Tested it first with AudiophileHD, worked as it should and good sound quality. I next tested on my KalemSoft by starting a movie, again all was well. I went into TuneIn and no sound on any radio station. I discovered by accident that if I turn on Audiophile, I get both the radio and Audiophile, however if I pause the Audiophile I only get the radio. I have since tested using KalemSoft and the same applies. I have to leave either app open and paused in order to continue with the radio.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Perhaps a patch is needed or a fix for TuneIn? Any suggestions?
Nice work around, thanks for this one.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)
namgod is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0