Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    I got my touchpad about a week ago and an kinda bored with it already. With the limited app market and difficulty getting movies on it im not sure what i am going to do with it next. Any tips? What are you using your touchpad for?
    Quote Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post
    I got my touchpad about a week ago and an kinda bored with it already. With the limited app market and difficulty getting movies on it im not sure what i am going to do with it next. Any tips? What are you using your touchpad for?
    1) ?Watching movies. I copied several movies over, then installed touchplayer from preware and they work fine. Kalem Media Player also works.

Amazon video on demand also works.

2) Playing music. Sometimes I use the native player, sometimes I use itunes on my mac and remote control (install remotefree) from the player

3) Check out ScummVM for some of the old Lucas arts games--very funny
  3.    #3  
    How are you getting movies over? I am having a heck of a time converting itunes movies over?
    I used handbrake. See thread below. There is also a HP Movie store where you can download movies directly onto the device.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html
    How are you getting movies over? I am having a heck of a time converting itunes movies over?
    my guess is that's because they are protected by apple's DRM. First you would need to find a utility to strip the DRM off. I don't use itunes, so I don't have any suggestions.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I used handbrake. See thread below. There is also a HP Movie store where you can download movies directly onto the device.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html
    Those prices at the movies store are ridiculous.
    If you are buying movies off of iTunes, you are locked into Apple products. Nothing you can (legally) do to get out of that bind.

Otherwise, there is no need to convert videos if you have non-DRM video files you want to play. Just purchase KalemSoft Media Player from the App Catalog; it plays pretty much any format.

Getting them on the TouchPad is simple: USB cable.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  8.    #8  
    not sure this thing is worth all the trouble.
    not sure this thing is worth all the trouble.
    Put it up for sale. There are plenty of people who are willing to give a great device a great new home.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  10.    #10  
    not ready to give up yet, just need ideas of what to do with it. I can only play angry birds for so long.
    I actually dont use mine as much as I would like to....

Mostly for internet.
    Coaster
    What do I use it for?

Browsing, research, email, taking notes for work, carrying paperwork and reference material for work, managing my calendar, games, Twitter, most of my facebook interaction, ...

not bored yet.

Vectre
    Global Posts
    7,241 Global Posts
    This is truly the way I felt. I didnt use it for about a month.

I picked up about 2 weeks ago, and am now using it daily.
    Nothing on the device changed, but i had to wait until my expectations dropped a bit, and as well as more developers coming aboard.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I use mine for:

• Checking email
    • Surfing the web
    • Keeping my kids occupied, if needed
    • Skype with family

I would use it for some work if Citrix Receiver would be released.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    1) ?Watching movies. I copied several movies over, then installed touchplayer from preware and they work fine. Kalem Media Player also works.

Amazon video on demand also works.

2) Playing music. Sometimes I use the native player, sometimes I use itunes on my mac and remote control (install remotefree) from the player

3) Check out ScummVM for some of the old Lucas arts games--very funny
    I bought a software to convert to different types of hardware (123CopyDVD) and I love it.
    I have a severe disability and it is my window and world to all of you. I don't have a pc. I have a Pre 1 that I used until I got th TP.
    I can't belong to any fun outside groups or functions. So I use my Touchpad to make me feel like I belong to a family. And that's what PRE CENTRAL is about... Family.
    I thank god and the universe everyday for this community. So if you want to know what more you can use it for, start reading the forums and join our family. We welcome you. We have a dang good time here.
    I use mine for:
    • managing my yahoo email, but not Gmail (can't live without threaded messages).
    • Searching eBay with AuctionMate. It has a great feature where you can add an alert for the auction end to your calendar. If I choose my google calendar then it will sync to my Android phone and alert me on that device as well! Super awesome!
    • Read comics and magazines.
    • Browse Reddit (there's like 4 different apps for this!!!)
    • Read my Google Reader feeds.
    • Stream video while I'm doing something else on my laptop.

I usually only use when I'm not at home, where I would have my laptop.
    paging dr b likes this.
    What don't I use my touchpad for? I do most, if not all of my computing on my touchpad. Check emails, facebook, twitter, watch videos, surf the net, play games. Sure this tablet might not have as many apps as iOS or Android, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have usable apps. I used to own an ipad, and I also installed CM7 on my TP but I can't say that I found either of those more useful than my TP is with webOS. It sounds like tablets just aren't for you.
    Digital photo frame. Beyond that not much.
    Tikerz and slbailey1 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast