1.    #1  
    Because my TouchPad is imported from the US and I live in Germany, I made sure to have a Charger solution that should work - so I bought a USB Charger that puts out 5V 2.1A (as opposed to the 5.3V 2A of the packed in US wall plug). It works with my Phone (HTC 7 Pro), it works with other devices as well... but it doesn't work with the TouchPad once WebOS is booted.

I've tried it in two different states, WebOS booted and WebOS not booted (aka Battery completely dry crying for voltage). In the former, it doesn't display any indication of receiving charge and the battery percentage slowly but surely goes down instead of up (the screen activates when I plug it in though, when I plug it in half before I fully plug it in I even get the 'This doesn't give me enough juice' message I get from using my phone's charger on the TouchPad). In the latter, it's more interesting: It accepts the Charger as Charger and does what it's supposed to do..... until WebOS boots. Then it just behaves as if no Charger was present.

I have verified that the Charger works and the fact that it can charge the TP in out-of-juice-mode but not when WebOS is booted hints towards HP having implemented a software solution to block anything but their own Chargers+the TouchStone... any workaround known/possible?

If need be, I can record a video to demonstrate the points made above.
    Quote Originally Posted by twiitar View Post
    Because my TouchPad is imported from the US and I live in Germany, I made sure to have a Charger solution that should work - so I bought a USB Charger that puts out 5V 2.1A (as opposed to the 5.3V 2A of the packed in US wall plug). It works with my Phone (HTC 7 Pro), it works with other devices as well... but it doesn't work with the TouchPad once WebOS is booted.

I've tried it in two different states, WebOS booted and WebOS not booted (aka Battery completely dry crying for voltage). In the former, it doesn't display any indication of receiving charge and the battery percentage slowly but surely goes down instead of up (the screen activates when I plug it in though, when I plug it in half before I fully plug it in I even get the 'This doesn't give me enough juice' message I get from using my phone's charger on the TouchPad). In the latter, it's more interesting: It accepts the Charger as Charger and does what it's supposed to do..... until WebOS boots. Then it just behaves as if no Charger was present.

I have verified that the Charger works and the fact that it can charge the TP in out-of-juice-mode but not when WebOS is booted hints towards HP having implemented a software solution to block anything but their own Chargers+the TouchStone... any workaround known/possible?

You probably don't realize it, but it may be charging. When you plug in a charger that isn't rated to the TouchPad's needs, it will not show as charging, but there will be current going to the TouchPad. If you are not using the TouchPad while it is plugged in, it will charge slowly. If you are using it while plugged in it will prevent the battery from draining as quickly.

I have read that the barrel connector that the TouchPad comes with come apart so that you can attach international plugs to it, so I would suggest you contact HP to see if you can get one that works for you. I have twisted my barrel apart to confirm it does twist off, but since I have no need for a different plug I can't confirm that they are available (but imagine they must be, I doubt they shipped all over the world with only one type of plug).
    Have you tried the original charger with a plug-adapter?

p.s.
    Die Teile kosten fast nichts:
    mumbi Reisestecker- Reiseadapter USA: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Und moderne Netzteile können zumeist mit 230/110 Wechsel umgehen.
    Ich hatte zumindest mit meinen Geräten in UK und USA niemals Probleme.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    That's right. When you plug in a charger that doesn't have as much current capacity as the HP charger you will get a warning message that the TP may not charge. But in fact it will charge as long as the charger supplies sufficient current in excess of that required to operate the TP. For example a 1-amp charger will charge the battery in about 9 hours with the TP screen off. Lower than that is probably impractical.

It's always possible though that your charger is putting out just a fraction below 5 volts, which might cause it not to be recognized by some devices.

If you are good at mod, try a 6v charger with a diol connected to drop it by 0.7v so that you get your 5.3v.

Why can't you use the original charger? The original charger works 110 - 240v.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    If you are good at mod, try a 6v charger with a diol connected to drop it by 0.7v so that you get your 5.3v.

Why can't you use the original charger? The original charger works 110 - 240v.
    He can't use the original charger because he's in Europe and purchased a US TouchPad, so the plug doesn't fit. I don't know why he doesn't have an adapter or try to get a European model though.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    You probably don't realize it, but it may be charging.
    I've left it on the third party charger for an hour with turned off screen and no Wifi on, charge went down instead of up.

Gonna contact HP now to see if I can't get them to send me a screwcap for their original charger, else I'll try getting a US -> DE wall plug adapter (I did hear about some people having issues with those, resulting in the original charger overheating - it's why I originally refrained from going that path).

Edit: They told me they can't send me one and gave me two wrong numbers under which I was suposed to reach their shop to ask for the price of one. Oh boy.

Edit #2: After throwing CM7 Alpha on it, I tried charging it with the Third Party Charger. Works like a charm, heh. I still think it's a software issue within WebOS that it's unable to use Chargers outside of their own ones.
    Last edited by twiitar; 10/17/2011 at 06:58 AM.
    I've left it on the third party charger for an hour with turned off screen and no Wifi on, charge went down instead of up.

Gonna contact HP now to see if I can't get them to send me a screwcap for their original charger, else I'll try getting a US -> DE wall plug adapter (I did hear about some people having issues with those, resulting in the original charger overheating - it's why I originally refrained from going that path).

Edit: They told me they can't send me one and gave me two wrong numbers under which I was suposed to reach their shop to ask for the price of one. Oh boy.
    overheating? Both of my two HP chargers heat up significantly when in use, in the US.

got mine from the US as well. just plug it into a 5euro traveller set adapter and you're all set (eg. Hama Reisestecker Set "Universal II": Amazon.de: Elektronik)
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    That's right. When you plug in a charger that doesn't have as much current capacity as the HP charger you will get a warning message that the TP may not charge. But in fact it will charge as long as the charger supplies sufficient current in excess of that required to operate the TP. For example a 1-amp charger will charge the battery in about 9 hours with the TP screen off. Lower than that is probably impractical.

It's always possible though that your charger is putting out just a fraction below 5 volts, which might cause it not to be recognized by some devices.
    That IS generally right.. and there is some 'research' being done on the 'Car Charger' thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-5.html that idicates that the TP USB charger centre pins (may) prefer to be bridged at a very specific voltage/resistance in order to feed charge/response info to and from the TP.. UNlike the 'iPad' etc etc, with which other generic USB chargers are 'usually' designed to comply! So even a 2.0Amp rated (NON HP) USB charger may barely keep up with running the TP screen!

Indeed, best to get a simple DE/USA travel adapter from your local tronics outlet.
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/17/2011 at 05:52 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the advice, just ordered the US -> DE Adapter that tholap linked.

I did notice that my 800 mA USB Charger from my phone is faster at charging the TP than the 2A USB Charger I bought, but both are unusuable to charge and simultaneously use the TP (which sucks, obviously).

Also thanks Mutoidi, didn't know they implemented a hardware solution to keep people from using Third Party Chargers. Kinda ridiculous. :s