1.    #1  
    I haven't opened my Touchpad yet, but was wondering before I do, whether I can use my iPad2 sim card for service.

I have an AT&T $29.95/month Unlimited Data plan, grandfathered from an Original iPad.
    (When I first got the iPad2, I swapped the iPad SIM into the iPad2 and it worked fine before I called AT&T and transferred the SIM on the account.)

Based on that, I'd figure it should work in the HP Touchpad 4G (I don't know much about GSM/SIM, being an Original Sprint Pre guy)

Lastly, If it indeed would work (only temporarily, would the SIM card limit the 4G to 3G (fastest iPad capable speed) or is that unrelated?

------

The idea of loosing my $30 Unlimited data plan by not keeping it, while having to buy a second $30 Unlimited Data plan from T-Mobile/Walmart adding to $60/month just for data service on my tablets is a waste, I only can use one at a time.

P.S. I original bought an HP Touchpad Wi-Fi, and was just going to Tether it to me Pre, but I was lucky enough to actually find a 4G Touchpad
    (for $395 as a Buy it Now on eBay, and the item already had many bids, yet no one thought it was worth buying for $395 except me??) ::confused;;
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I am doing what you are doing (iPad 2 grandfathered unlimited data on SIM); no issues from ATT yet.

Speeds are HSPA (the 21MBps variety - very fast). I haven't seen any slowdowns (though I havent been very thorough in my investigation of this - I probably should do more experimentation).

You will need a microSIM adapter to make your iPad microSIM work in your TP 4G.

You also will get a pleasant surprise when you open up the ATT Communicator app after you have inserted the grandfathered plan microSIM: check out your data cap for the month (yes, it DOES say 2000 GB, NOT 2GB, and NOT 4GB - a nice bonus to have that much data available with HSPA (21MBps) speeds.

I agree with you that the 4Gs are completely worth the extra mark-up. I was fortunate enough to get two of them: one about Sep 15 for roughly the price you paid (got it by trading equivalently priced item, going on 4 weeks ago now), and one about Oct 1 for firesale price ($150) - got VERY lucky (right place, right time) on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by awalp View Post
    I haven't opened my Touchpad yet, but was wondering before I do, whether I can use my iPad2 sim card for service.

I have an AT&T $29.95/month Unlimited Data plan, grandfathered from an Original iPad.
    (When I first got the iPad2, I swapped the iPad SIM into the iPad2 and it worked fine before I called AT&T and transferred the SIM on the account.)

Based on that, I'd figure it should work in the HP Touchpad 4G (I don't know much about GSM/SIM, being an Original Sprint Pre guy)

Lastly, If it indeed would work (only temporarily, would the SIM card limit the 4G to 3G (fastest iPad capable speed) or is that unrelated?

------

The idea of loosing my $30 Unlimited data plan by not keeping it, while having to buy a second $30 Unlimited Data plan from T-Mobile/Walmart adding to $60/month just for data service on my tablets is a waste, I only can use one at a time.

P.S. I original bought an HP Touchpad Wi-Fi, and was just going to Tether it to me Pre, but I was lucky enough to actually find a 4G Touchpad
    (for $395 as a Buy it Now on eBay, and the item already had many bids, yet no one thought it was worth buying for $395 except me??) ::confused;;
  3.    #3  
    Awesome, exactly the data I need. Since posting the thread I also saw similar information in the 'HP Touchpad 4G Owner's Lounge' Thread.

I didn't realize I would need a micro sim card adapter... I didn't know there was such a thing as a micro sim card.. ( I don't know much about GSM).

So I need an adapter to make a smaller iPad sim fit in a larger HP sim slot?

What would the official name for this be, a microSIM card adapter? (Would this be the same as a microSD card slot adapter?)
    -- At some point using a microSD card and a SIM on an iPad was considered a similar slot? (or I may be wrong).

Wanna make sure I get the right adapter.

-----

So speeds of HSPA?? Is that considered 4G? and faster than what the iPad2 alone would get?

------

Looking forward to having one $30/month account, unlimited for my Touchpad, may even sell my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    I am doing what you are doing (iPad 2 grandfathered unlimited data on SIM); no issues from ATT yet.

Speeds are HSPA (the 21MBps variety - very fast). I haven't seen any slowdowns (though I havent been very thorough in my investigation of this - I probably should do more experimentation).

You will need a microSIM adapter to make your iPad microSIM work in your TP 4G.

You also will get a pleasant surprise when you open up the ATT Communicator app after you have inserted the grandfathered plan microSIM: check out your data cap for the month (yes, it DOES say 2000 GB, NOT 2GB, and NOT 4GB - a nice bonus to have that much data available with HSPA (21MBps) speeds.

I agree with you that the 4Gs are completely worth the extra mark-up. I was fortunate enough to get two of them: one about Sep 15 for roughly the price you paid (got it by trading equivalently priced item, going on 4 weeks ago now), and one about Oct 1 for firesale price ($150) - got VERY lucky (right place, right time) on that one.
  4.    #4  
    I went to my local AT&T store, which did not have or know of any such adapter.

I look on eBay, and there are a bunch of "MicroSIM adapters" that are nothing more than a cardboard cutout.

Anyone know of a good PDF or image file that I could print onto some thick paper and use as an adapter?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awalp View Post
    I went to my local AT&T store, which did not have or know of any such adapter.

I look on eBay, and there are a bunch of "MicroSIM adapters" that are nothing more than a cardboard cutout.

Anyone know of a good PDF or image file that I could print onto some thick paper and use as an adapter?
    You don't have any deactivated sim cards laying around the house? If not do you save your phone box's? I know I do and most of the time the credit card sim card holder is in the box which would make a template for you as once you trace it the size should be real close to actual size. The card would be better to use than cardboard also.