1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI......see link.

Take care,

Jay

Kindle Fire No. 1 tablet at Amazon; HP TouchPad No. 2
    by MARCUS LAI on OCTOBER 15, 2011 ∑ in NEWS, RETAIL, TECHNOLOGY

Kindle Fire No. 1 tablet at Amazon; HP TouchPad No. 2 | Punch Jump

Amazon.com Inc.ís new Kindle Fire device ranked as the top-selling tablet at the retailer due to strong pre-order demand.

This week, the Kindle Fire ranked as the No. 1 best-selling tablet in Amazonís Electronics division.

Hewlett Packard Co.ís discontinued TouchPad 32GB SKU ranked as the No. 2 best-selling tablet, followed by the TouchPad 16GB SKU at No. 3 in the same period.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    cobrakon likes this.
    So the TouchPad is still selling well even at $100 above the firesale price? Wonder what they haters got to say about that?
    cobrakon likes this.
    The ebay/craigslist prices for the TP show that the key price point is in the $200-250 range. Undercut the Ipad by 50% or more with a capable device and you have a winner. Amazon has realized at an entry level price of $199 they will grab a huge chunk of the market - even if they will lose a bit on each device - and make up for that by selling other stuff (I also would not be surprised if we see a Fire+ sometime with more memory or whatever at $249).

HP could have easily done the same thing, lose a bit on each TP they sold but use that to gain market share using that to make money from the webOS capable/dual-boot computers, printers and other devices - getting people hooked into their "ecosystem." But, alas, Leo and the Board didn't care enough about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So the TouchPad is still selling well even at $100 above the firesale price? Wonder what they haters got to say about that?
    Haters? How many units does the #2 slot have? It's not available anywhere else outside of Ebay and Craigslist and these sales are from people selling the extra units they bought.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    We'll see if the KF dominates...I think there will be a lot of them on Fleabay shortly after people realize it's not the Android they've been looking for.
    I expect those who want a standard version of android on the KF will get it eventually. If it can be ported to the touchpad it certainly could be put on Amazon's tablet.
    Technarch likes this.
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $Kindle$ $Fire$ $runs$ $Android$ $underneath$ $the$ $custom$ $UI$. $I$ $doubt$ $they$ $modified$ $the$ $kernel$ ($a$ $lot$) $so$ $from$ $my$ $understanding$ $a$ $port$ $should$ $be$ $rather$ $easy$.

I will get a Kindle Fire the moment they are available in Germany. Then I think cyanogenmod will have a version of Ice Cream Sandwich ready :bigok:
    If nook color had tons of android ports, fire will soon have them too. Thing is, how many users with converted fires will ever buy books or content from amazon? I believe not many and that is point where amazon will take big hit and loss, and that is maybe biggest reason for them to buy webOS. with their own OS they could find way to lock it better from possible conversions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Haters? How many units does the #2 slot have? It's not available anywhere else outside of Ebay and Craigslist and these sales are from people selling the extra units they bought.
    Haters: People who said that the TouchPad would not sell above the firesale price. People who said it would not sell no matter what the price. I don't think HP will bring it back but if they look at the sales on Amazon and Ebay above the firesale price they will see that there is definitely a market for it.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassic83 View Post
    We'll see if the KF dominates...I think there will be a lot of them on Fleabay shortly after people realize it's not the Android they've been looking for.
    The KF fixes a problem that has plagued Android for some time now. It adds a good looking UI to Android. I agree that regular Android users might find the KF lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Haters: People who said that the TouchPad would not sell above the firesale price. People who said it would not sell no matter what the price. I don't think HP will bring it back but if they look at the sales on Amazon and Ebay above the firesale price they will see that there is definitely a market for it.
    There is a market for the TouchPad that cost 4 times as much to make than it sold for during the fire sale and and a much smaller market for TouchPads that sell for half of what it costs to make. It's all a false sense of value after the fire sale.

Would there be any interest in a Touchpad that cost $200 to build before marketing and retail costs? Doubtful. It would not be this TouchPad.

The real question is how many are selling on Amazon, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    There is a market for the TouchPad that cost 4 times as much to make than it sold for during the fire sale and and a much smaller market for TouchPads that sell for half of what it costs to make. It's all a false sense of value after the fire sale.

Would there be any interest in a Touchpad that cost $200 to build before marketing and retail costs? Doubtful. It would not be this TouchPad.

The real question is how many are selling on Amazon, etc.?
    We don't know the real cost of the TouchPad. The $300 price was just speculation. It is now two months after the fire sale and normal TouchPad sales (above $150) are still brisk enough to make it into Amazon's top 10. We are way past the point where these sales can be seen as residual from the fire sale.

Amazon is said to be losing a small amount of money due to hardware cost on each KF sold. If Amazon can do it why should HP? They can set the TouchPad's new price point at $200 and $250 respectively.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Amazon is said to be losing a small amount of money due to hardware cost on each KF sold. If Amazon can do it why should HP? They can set the TouchPad's new price point at $200 and $250 respectively.
    Because Amazon is selling a conduit to their store, HP is selling a tablet without an eco-system - big difference. Moreover, Amazon has the edge because the fire drives sales of not only digital products but physical products like toilet rolls etc. HP has nothing on the backend to recouple the cost of selling the TP at cost and it would take them at least three years and billions of dollars to develop anything that could compete with either the amazon store or apple walled garden*.

It's beautiful if you think about it, Amazon Fire customers are paying for device specifically designed to encourage them to buy as much as possible off the supplier and nobody else.

* Which has a different costing model to start with because Apple *can* get people to buy full-price for their devices.
    DeadVim and nyrath like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because Amazon is selling a conduit to their store, HP is selling a tablet without an eco-system - big difference.
    I saw here at PC many statements how people who bought cheap Touchpads will not spend money on apps and I do agree. But, following that logic, people who bought cheap Kindle Fire also would not spend much money on Amazon's content, specially when full Android gets ported to Fire.
    I firmly believe Fires are selling like mad because of price and potential Android port only, and Amazon's content is taken only as necessary evil.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I saw here at PC many statements how people who bought cheap Touchpads will not spend money on apps and I do agree. But, following that logic, people who bought cheap Kindle Fire also would not spend much money on Amazon's content, specially when full Android gets ported to Fire.
    I firmly believe Fires are selling like mad because of price and potential Android port.
    We'll see but I doubt it, my take is that the vast majority of people buying the fire neither know nor care that it runs a forked version of android - they simply know it's the device sold by Amazon who they know and trust.
    We'll see but I doubt it, my take is that the vast majority of people buying the fire neither know nor care that it runs a forked version of android - they simply know it's the device sold by Amazon who they know and trust.
    Anyway, Amazon is happy with sales and that is best sign they know what they are doing. Probably they want to be present in tablet market and simply buying their seat in front row. If HP had chosen same approach instead planning world dominance...
    chalx, I think that Amazon looked at HP's missteps and lowered their expectations (and price). HP could have built the same ecosystem that Amazon built on the apps and services side. Many of us thought this is what they planned on doing. Why else would they buy their own OS and produce their own hardware if they weren't prepared to do this? I agree that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Which is what some folks in the negative on this forum are trying to do. If folks who buy cheap tablets don't spend the saved money on apps and services then the KF is in the same position as the TP. Amazon will not make any money on them based on that deeply flawed logic.
    Because Amazon is selling a conduit to their store, HP is selling a tablet without an eco-system - big difference. Moreover, Amazon has the edge because the fire drives sales of not only digital products but physical products like toilet rolls etc. HP has nothing on the backend to recouple the cost of selling the TP at cost and it would take them at least three years and billions of dollars to develop anything that could compete with either the amazon store or apple walled garden*.

It's beautiful if you think about it, Amazon Fire customers are paying for device specifically designed to encourage them to buy as much as possible off the supplier and nobody else.

* Which has a different costing model to start with because Apple *can* get people to buy full-price for their devices.
    Which is why, when they announced the thing, I described it as a "vending machine."
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If folks who buy cheap tablets don't spend the saved money on apps and services then the KF is in the same position as the TP. Amazon will not make any money on them based on that deeply flawed logic.
    That's why the Amazon kindle which is a lot cheaper than the Sony ereaders only attracts cheap readers who buy fewer books and it's all been a giant flop.. oh wait...

The apps are a small part of the overall picture for amazon, so trying to suggest a direct parallel with HP's failed business model is missing the point.
    That's why the Amazon kindle which is a lot cheaper than the Sony ereaders only attracts cheap readers who buy fewer books and it's all been a giant flop.. oh wait...

The apps are a small part of the overall picture for amazon, so trying to suggest a direct parallel with HP's failed business model is missing the point.
    The point was made that people who save money on cheap products, in this case tablets, have the extra funds to buy more apps/content. That point was made in these forums several times by folks saying there is the potential for app revenue with the 1 million TouchPads in actual users hands. I agree with that point and from your statement it looks like you agree to. Of course unless those rules don't apply to HP and just Amazon. No one knows what HP's business model was with the TouchPad (to include HP). What we suggested as a possible source of revenue for HP is the exact same thing that Amazon is doing. That is making money (up to 30% if they were greedy) off of selling apps, books, and multimedia content delivered to the tablet, since HP has total control over the delivery of that content.
    ilovedessert likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast