Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    hi,

I tried to use Html5 apps on Touchpad, like Google maps and Gmail iPad view. It can display but when I drag the page, it just drag the whole page, and then bounce back. But how to pass the drag action directly to the webpage like google maps, so that I can drag the maps to other location?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Put simply, you can't. I've had to implement a custom javascript library in my webOS app, because apparently the browser does not support any kind of scrolling (except for scrolling the whole page).
    Ordered 2x HP Touchpad 32GB @ 9:34AM EST
    Purchase #441xxxx
    Order #3056xxxx

Received shipping email 10/12/2011 @ 7:31PM EST
    Received the 2nd 2 week email

#staycoolmybabies
    what app is that?
    yup. No can do. Something about a webOS patent when you scroll the screen the page sort of floats sideways too. That I think is what causes it not to work. I think an app that locks the screen from floating about would probably be a good start for the maps being able to scroll.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agg23 View Post
    Put simply, you can't. I've had to implement a custom javascript library in my webOS app, because apparently the browser does not support any kind of scrolling (except for scrolling the whole page).
    could you share your custom javascript?
    Apple apparently patented the interaction you speak of. That's why it isn't doable.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Apple apparently patented the interaction you speak of. That's why it isn't doable.
    I have just tried this in android on my TP and you can do this so this must be a technical issue rather than a legal one.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Works in Street View, strangely.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Street View uses flash.
    Scrolling works in the "Where To Go" app. This app uses Bing maps and you can scroll around the map (although it is a bit sensitive).

Would be great if someone could make a prepare patch to fix this in normal browser.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    if it is because patent issue, HP/Palm would have sued Apple 7 times per every apple's suit against Palm.
    if that's the case, why do I have no problem with the dragging funciton on Android tablets? (including my Android smartphone, dual-boot Touchpads, no-name Chinese cheap $100 tablets from CVS, as well as the iPad?)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    if that's the case, why do I have no problem with the dragging funciton on Android tablets? (including my Android smartphone, dual-boot Touchpads, no-name Chinese cheap $100 tablets from CVS, as well as the iPad?)
    The iPad doesn't count - it's from Apple
    I don't believe it has anything to do with Apple's patent.

The main reason is that neither Palm (HP) nor Apple have recently sued each other, yet both clearly seem to be using significant patented technologies of the other.

Given how many touch-device specific patents were created by Palm (patents now owned by HP) I strongly suspect that Apple infringes on far more Palm/HP patents than the other way around. We should remember that Palm's initial touchscreen patents are largely still in force. These patents last a massive 20 years! Apple and most other touchscreen device makers are likely in violation of Palm's years-old, core touchscreen patents.

So why no lawsuits? Because both both companies are in a position of mutually assured destruction. Both sides are mostly equal on patents, so feel free to use the other companies patents without leave or license, knowing it would not be in the advantage of either party to get lawyers involved.

Involving lawyers would simply cost both a lot of money. Were to courts to award damages, it's likely each side would have to pay the other, mostly canceling out the damages. The only winner in such a case would be the lawyers.

Now I suppose it's possible that Apple may have drawn a line in the sand over this particular issue. A good video example of the Apple patent in question can be at this Engadget post: Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis -- Engadget

Perhaps Apple told Palm/HP that use of this specific patent would ignite a war? Even if such a threat were made, I very much doubt it would be carried through. The simple truth is that Palm/HP have a great many more fundamental touchscreen patents that Apple, patents that Apple seems to currently be in violation. If Apple were forced to remove these Palm/HP patented technologies from their products, it could very likely cripple the core functionality of iOS.

So why is this functionality missing from WebOS? Maybe it's just difficult to implement.

Looking at that Engadget video, it doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to get working properly. The way Apple and Android have done it is actually quite complicated. It's well known that WebOS has always suffered a lack of core developers. My guess is that this is just one corner of the operating system that never received enough attention.