Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I see that the TP has a 1024x768 in landscape and a "768x1024" in portrait. Was there any way to get this to be 1024x768 in portrait?

I have still yet to receive mine and this was a feature I had overlooked.

I need to find an application like teamviewer to connect to my home pc to view a windows software that requires a minimum "1024x768" and wanted to use this in portrait...

If I can't we can't get a workaround to that, then I'm going to sell this locally, thus the reason I was contemplating on another post of selling it unopened with all the accessories. I won't be flipping it for something outrageous, but who knows for all the hassles and ect getting all the other accessories.

However, I would love to keep this **if somehow 1024x768 portrait*** can work. I'm a final year medical student who wanted this primarily to do medical licensing practice questions, and the online company requires that resolution. I have a windows tablet that can do this, but the weight and form factor is an inconvenience... Okay, hopefully there is good news with this... thanks for any input.
  2.    #2  
    Oh sorry, mods can you please move this thread to the main Q&A section? I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry for that again, and thanks.
    <thread moved>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    you are dealing with physical limitations of hardware. Can't magically add pixels to a lcd panel.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, what I had suspected... I am only seeing this information from random webpages... what a huge bummer....
    Maybe it's just me, but this made absolutely no sense to me.
    74sickness likes this.
    Surely you mean some sort of emulated mode where you have black bars on the top and bottom? If not, then this doesn't even make sense. In portrait, you have the height of the screen roughly 1.3 times that of the width, so if somehow you ended up with a resolution of 1024x768 in portrait, you would have everything stretched out vertically. It would look horrible. Its physically impossible to have this resolution, with an inverted aspect ratio, and have it look "normal".
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This sounds like you're rejecting a patient who's 6' tall because their stomach is 4' above the operating table when they're standing on it and you're told the operating table instruments only allow a clearance of 2' but you prefer to work on patients when they stand rather than when they lie down. Really!

Is there a reason _why_ you want to use this app in portrait mode rather than landscape mode (e.g. you only have enough room on your desk for portrait, you need the camera at top and button on bottom, you think there'll be extra pixels that you can put to use)? Perhaps specifying what's on your mind will reveal why you consider this a showstopper. Clearly the "online company" intended you to use their app in landscape mode, why fight them?
    un_designer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfndr View Post
    This sounds like you're rejecting a patient who's 6' tall because their stomach is 4' above the operating table when they're standing on it and you're told the operating table instruments only allow a clearance of 2' but you prefer to work on patients when they stand rather than when they lie down. Really!

Is there a reason _why_ you want to use this app in portrait mode rather than landscape mode (e.g. you only have enough room on your desk for portrait, you need the camera at top and button on bottom, you think there'll be extra pixels that you can put to use)? Perhaps specifying what's on your mind will reveal why you consider this a showstopper. Clearly the "online company" intended you to use their app in landscape mode, why fight them?
    What he said. The OP's request is the most ridiculous request I've heard yet. I don't even know how to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by amlodipine View Post
    Ah, what I had suspected... I am only seeing this information from random webpages... what a huge bummer....
    Fyi, this not a touchpad problem, or even a problem at all. You will also have the same issue with the ipad2 or any other tablet.
    You would have to pan the display around or have it letterbox to do this

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I see that the TP has a 1024x768 in landscape and a "768x1024" in portrait.
    You have accurately described the touchpad screen resolution, as well as many other similar tablets.

Was there any way to get this to be 1024x768 in portrait?
    I believe you're already answered your own question, perhaps just need it confirmed which looks like others have done.

I have still yet to receive mine and this was a feature I had overlooked.

I need to find an application like teamviewer to connect to my home pc to view a windows software that requires a minimum "1024x768" and wanted to use this in portrait...

If I can't we can't get a workaround to that, then I'm going to sell this locally, thus the reason I was contemplating on another post of selling it unopened with all the accessories. I won't be flipping it for something outrageous, but who knows for all the hassles and ect getting all the other accessories.

However, I would love to keep this **if somehow 1024x768 portrait*** can work. I'm a final year medical student who wanted this primarily to do medical licensing practice questions, and the online company requires that resolution. I have a windows tablet that can do this, but the weight and form factor is an inconvenience... Okay, hopefully there is good news with this... thanks for any input.
    Sorry I just don't get it. If you need to run 1024x768, you can do it on the touchpad, or iPad, etc. But by definition this is landscape mode not portrait. I would be nice if it was higher resolution but it is what it is and HP has never claimed more. If it doesn't work for you then I'm sure there are many who will happily take it off your hands.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    for what its worth, I think even if the tablet could display 1024x768 in portrait, I have a feeling the text would look distorted. If I were you I'd open it up and give it a try anyway. But keep the plastic on, just in case it doesn't workout. At the veryleast you can easily sell it and get your money back.

edit: I had no idea what teamviewer was, so I looked it up. It seems similar to splashtop. If those two programs offer similar functionality, then I can tell you from personal experience that splashtop is pretty decent.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    What he said. The OP's request is the most ridiculous request I've heard yet. I don't even know how to respond.
    Perhaps, I was just curious - some of the newer tablets can display 1024x768 in both modes... I believe it starts at 12" . I have a thinkpad x61 tablet that allows both directions in 1024x768. It's just a little heavy/big to walk around with in one hand.

Reason I had asked, was just to - I haven't come across any tablets/slates that can offer this in a screen less than 12".

I wanted to hold a smaller form factor tablet like a "book" while reading and doing practice questions. The software company requires that the screen has a 1024x768 resolution, able to run Java Runtime and be a windows or mac.... I was just going to portal through my pc with a tablet that can use something like teamviewer via its website.

This was what I and every medical student and resident dreams of having - already had emailed the company and they have to keep the standards set to how our national medical licensing examination test software is when we actually take the real tests. They have no intentions on changing the screen resolutions or ever plan to delivery it via mobile. Almost every student worldwide uses this company because they are that good for board prep.

I've already knocked out 2/3 - this would have been just great feature to have on a tablet.

I've tried this on a windows slate pc (hp slate 500) but works great on landscape, but not on portrait. I guess some of you might understand it better if you like using your tablets as "books".

work/friendly/safe

USMLEWorld Qbanks, Step2 CS, Step3 CCS and Self-Assessment Exams - System Requirements

Thanks for the other replies too.
    The X61 can't display 1024 pixels across in both modes it has one resolution and only one resolution like any other LCD.

Now it might scale the image to fit, but in portrait that resolution (like someone else mentioned) would be extremely distorted unless you had black bars.

In all likelyhood what you are actually seeing in portrait is IE scaling the website to fit within the 768 pixel width. So it might seem like the x61 is doing something with it's display but it isn't.

Try ctrl- and ctrl+ (hold down the ctrl key while also holding down either plus or minus sign) to see IE zoom in and out of a website. ctrl0 (ctrl and zero) will reset it back to 100% zoom.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    You obviously have no idea what a resolution even is. I suppose you want 1024x1024.
    This thread made my day. Thank you.
    lol
    Glad I was not alone thinking this was one oddball post lol
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zenzombie View Post
    The X61 can't display 1024 pixels across in both modes it has one resolution and only one resolution like any other LCD.

Now it might scale the image to fit, but in portrait that resolution (like someone else mentioned) would be extremely distorted unless you had black baThars.

In all likelyhood what you are actually seeing in portrait is IE scaling the website to fit within the 768 pixel width. So it might seem like the x61 is doing something with it's display but it isn't.

Try ctrl- and ctrl+ (hold down the ctrl key while also holding down either plus or minus sign) to see IE zoom in and out of a website. ctrl0 (ctrl and zero) will reset it back to 100% zoom.
    Thanks for the clarification. So, we learn a thing or two. Honestly no need for the clowning, but it's hillarious to think we know everything. So if the x61 was rescaling it to fit the portrait screen when using firefox in my case... I wonder how it wouls look on the TP. The x61 had a native resolution of 1024x768 as does the TP right? So theoretically it should scale as such but perhaps scrolling the page whichever way I suppose.
    Yes, I think you're catching on now. There will be some scaling and/or scrolling involved in most any case. In theory, if you wanted to have no scaling/scrolling in portrait, you would need a device that would have the minimum number of vertical pixels while in landscape to accommodate the image horizontally in portrait. In your case, that would be a 1280x1024 display (landscape), which would then obviously be 1024x1280 in portrait...more than enough to fit 1024x768.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast