Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I already have all of the speed improvement patches installed on my TP but i finally overclocked it and i am loving it! Everything is so much smoother and responsive! Here are the main enhancemnets ive ran across so far:

1: The accelerometer is 10x faster than before. Now when i turn the device, the screen turns almost instantly! This was one of the big things that was bugging me about my TP before.

2: Card gestures are now much smoother. I can swipe through all of my open cards with very minimal to no lag at all. Cards also swipe up smoother too. Launching cards is better also.

3: The whole device seems to be overall faster and more fluid. It's a very welcomed change for me
    Last edited by BuddyHM17; 10/15/2011 at 05:26 PM.
    klx300r likes this.
    how is it affecting battery life? Which kernel did you use?
  3.    #3  
    I used uberkernel. As far as i can tell, the baterry life is still about the same. It seems to run down a tiny bit faster but not hardly enought to tell in my opinion.
    Hmm, I may end up overclocking then. I've had my TP for about a month, and I haven't overclocked it yet. I have some patches installed & minimized the logging, but other than that I didn't feel a need to modify it much. But if Overclocking gives those nice improvements w/o draining the battery faster, I may do it.
    I am using F4 both at 1.8 and it takes a battery hit but I don't care it runs fantastic

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Hmm, I may end up overclocking then. I've had my TP for about a month, and I haven't overclocked it yet. I have some patches installed & minimized the logging, but other than that I didn't feel a need to modify it much. But if Overclocking gives those nice improvements w/o draining the battery faster, I may do it.
    Go ahead and try it. You can always revert back to the original kernel if you feel its not worth it or whatever the reason. Good luck!
    I would consider overclocking to 1.5 Ghz if we had official word that the chip is rated at 1.5 GHZ not just speculation. I know that the design spec is 1.5 Ghz but we may have chips that have not passed testing at this speed. What reason would HP have for underclocking the TP considering it would have to compete with the other tablets at the same price point?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by levinite View Post
    I would consider overclocking to 1.5 Ghz if we had official word that the chip is rated at 1.5 GHZ not just speculation. I know that the design spec is 1.5 Ghz but we may have chips that have not passed testing at this speed. What reason would HP have for underclocking the TP considering it would have to compete with the other tablets at the same price point?
    This link may not exactly answer your question but it might shed some light on the subject: Qualcomm Document Center - Snapdragon MSM8x60 / APQ8060 Product Brief
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyHM17 View Post
    This link may not exactly answer your question but it might shed some light on the subject: Qualcomm Document Center - Snapdragon MSM8x60 / APQ8060 Product Brief
    As I mentioned in my post the design spec is 1.5 Ghz, but what if the first few batches of chips were tested under spec. Nvidia's initial batches of Fermi chips did not meet there own specs but they were still sold.
    well, my 64GB PandaPad came factory set at 1.5GHz, and it's the same chip.
    I see pandas.
    I run 1.7GHZ and my battery is decent but when I run it hard, it just kills it. Still, I will charge it, take it to work, stream my locally stored music to my bluetooth head phones for 8 hours non-stop. I also do all my face **** on it and wifi is always on and at lunch I like to play angry birds HD or something for about 15-20min. By the end of my shift, battery will be at 75-80%. Runs fast, no problems with the over clocking at all. Used Govnah and I am very happy with this setup.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am new to HP TOUCHPAD I have overclock it to 1.5 GHZ BUT NOW I had a tase of speed
    I want to try 1.7GHZ DO you go through the same steps as you would thru 1.5GHZ?
    WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE??

Bob
    I haven't had mine long, but this thread is giving me some comfort with this idea. I may have to give it a try!
    BuddyHM17 likes this.
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    BuddyHM17 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by levinite View Post
    As I mentioned in my post the design spec is 1.5 Ghz, but what if the first few batches of chips were tested under spec. Nvidia's initial batches of Fermi chips did not meet there own specs but they were still sold.
    Don't confuse nVidia with Qualcomm. Qualcomm's QA and fab process is engineered to be spot on all the time. And the Fermi chips were designed as desktop gpu's (with laptop gpu's adapted from that design) where power concerns are hardly at their forefront. There is a vast difference between a chip designed to be a low powered ARM device and full blown gpu's. Moreover, nVidia has a pretty strong history of power-hungry PC devices as well as missing their targets, due to fab issues with TSMC. The tend to be very dictatorial with their fabrication processes.

Always remember, the simpler the design (like ARM), the easier it is to produce with much better yield. There was no major chip redesign on this product.
    If you read into battery life tests etc, 1.18ghz seems to be the sweet spot that gives the longest life while providing the most processing power.

HP likely underclocked the chip for many reasons, not the least of which being this fact. They were probably also going for longevity of the device and reduced cooling requirements. Since most tablets on the market are clocked at 1ghz or below, a dual core at 1.18 was already an improvement, and leaving it underclocked even gave HP an opportunity to bump it up at a later date to keep their old hardware competing with new devices on the market - AND - simultaneously made the 64gb version look even "better" thanks to it's 1.5ghz chip.

Of course, the battery drain isn't -much- higher at 1.5ghz (it is noticeably worse at dual 1.8ghz though). The device runs nicer at 1.5ghz and as far as I can tell there's been no issues whatsoever (that's how uberkernel is set up - they only accept and deliver speeds that there have been no reported issues with, hence the lack of 1.7ghz and beyond). This chip supports 1.5ghz. All evidence points to this being true from the spec sheets to the 64gb pad to ordinary people using the overclock. Just do it .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how is it affecting battery life? Which kernel did you use?
    Same here Uberkernal + 1.5Ghz = Fantastic experience. With medium to heavy use I get around 7-9 hours out of it. On standby or light use it can go for a day or two.
    @TheEmrys @ncinerate

You have made good points but still technically this does void the warranty. I know that it can be reset to factory if needed. After my warranty ends, I may consider it, but I do not find the touchpad slow for my needs and I prefer the extra battery life. Also it seems the new update will give us a speed boost anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969bob View Post
    I am new to HP TOUCHPAD I have overclock it to 1.5 GHZ BUT NOW I had a tase of speed
    I want to try 1.7GHZ DO you go through the same steps as you would thru 1.5GHZ?
    WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE??

Bob
    I installed preware, found the kernel I wanted to use, I think its called warthog. I'll double check later.. But that was it. Then install govnah from the preware app channel and its all set and ready to go. here is the link i used. it says 1.9 which I have tired that kernel and it wasn't very stable at 1.9. 1.82 is the best I can get it at with some stability issues after a few hours. 1.72, no issues ever.

[webOS] [GUIDE] Overclock the HP Touchpad to 1.9Ghz - xda-developers
    Amazing thread! I am definitely going to 1.5!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast