Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969bob View Post
    I am new to HP TOUCHPAD I have overclock it to 1.5 GHZ BUT NOW I had a tase of speed
    I want to try 1.7GHZ DO you go through the same steps as you would thru 1.5GHZ?
    WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE??

    Bob
    It's all the same steps, just different kernels. I've actually found the happiest balance of speed and stability (for me at least) to be on the Warthog kernel at 1.728 GHz. I found the last couple of F15C kernels to be buggy. I loved the performance of the F4 kernel, but I do notice the increased battery drain.

    When you uninstall UberKernel, most will recommend that you install the original Palm recovery kernel first, then install the new kernel you want. It's just cleaner, avoids any potential problems if something wasn't uninstalled completely.
    [ everythingsablur ]

    Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  2. #22  
    + 1 here on 1.5Ghz for the TP
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    BuddyHM17 likes this.
  3. joeym74's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #23  
    Today I went back to stock to see if battery drain was much higher compared to overclocking at 1.5. So far I am seeing around 11% depletion per hour by just doing web browsing. When it was at 1.5 it was more like 15% loss per hour. So to me it seems you do get a 25% faster battery loss compared to stock. Anyone else care to comment on their battery drain when overclocked?
  4. #24  
    I have to say that I didn't see a lot of benefit from over-clocking.
    The major benefit was disabling logging as much as possible. Also, like others. . . I seen increased battery use with preware patches.

    Nonetheless, this thread points to the TouchPad's initial problem. A user shouldn't have to make any of these changes for the device to be snappy out of the box.
  5. joeym74's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TPwebOS820 View Post
    I have to say that I didn't see a lot of benefit from over-clocking.
    The major benefit was disabling logging as much as possible. Also, like others. . . I seen increased battery use with preware patches.

    Nonetheless, this thread points to the TouchPad's initial problem. A user shouldn't have to make any of these changes for the device to be snappy out of the box.
    What sort of battery life are you getting now with none of the patches installed and no overclock? Have you seen a big drop in battery loss now when doing like simple browsing, etc? Are you seeing similar drain of like 11% per hour when just web browsing?
  6. #26  
    I'm on UK @ 1.5. The battery is not as good as Stock, but when you get 7hrs +, who cares?That's with WiFi always on, pretty heavy web browsing, some games, music and videos. The 7hrs gets me down to about 20-25%, then I charge it. I guess I've been lucky because the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted (getting instructions wrong - that kind of screw-up), and I've been able to resolve them myself. I haven't installed the CM7 Alpha release, even though I'm pretty good with Android, just because it's Alpha. I'm so pleased with my TP and webOS that I might not even install it once they get a stable release, and they will. Those Cyanogen guys are amazing! So if you're on the fence about oc'ng to 1.5, I say go for it. If things don't work out (I believe they will), a visit to the Doctor will fix you up as good as new. My opinion.
  7. joeym74's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chicle View Post
    I'm on UK @ 1.5. The battery is not as good as Stock, but when you get 7hrs +, who cares?That's with WiFi always on, pretty heavy web browsing, some games, music and videos. The 7hrs gets me down to about 20-25%, then I charge it. I guess I've been lucky because the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted (getting instructions wrong - that kind of screw-up), and I've been able to resolve them myself. I haven't installed the CM7 Alpha release, even though I'm pretty good with Android, just because it's Alpha. I'm so pleased with my TP and webOS that I might not even install it once they get a stable release, and they will. Those Cyanogen guys are amazing! So if you're on the fence about oc'ng to 1.5, I say go for it. If things don't work out (I believe they will), a visit to the Doctor will fix you up as good as new. My opinion.
    When I had mine at 1.5 I after 6 hours of browsing I would be down to 10% or lower. How are you getting 7 hours and still 20-25% left?
  8. #28  
    Just got mine going at 1.5 and it is rockin! Can you set a profile in govnah to kick it down to 1.18 when charging, locked, etc?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    When I had mine at 1.5 I after 6 hours of browsing I would be down to 10% or lower. How are you getting 7 hours and still 20-25% left?
    I really don't know why. Maybe, just like there are units that give all sorts of trouble, I got lucky and have one of the ones that are built like a rock. I don't have 'case cracks', the email and WiFi work with no problems, my web browser does not disappoint, etc. Sure there are things that need improvement (like scrolling web pages, up-down-side-to side arrows, among others), but there are great webOS devs that keep coming up with patches and solutions to the problems. Case in point is this site, without it I wouldn't have had as great an experience as I'm having now. It makes using the TP much easier, as it educates you without you even knowing it. It's part of my daily reading and keeps me up-to-date with the webOS experience.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by waveuponwave View Post
    Just got mine going at 1.5 and it is rockin! Can you set a profile in govnah to kick it down to 1.18 when charging, locked, etc?
    I don't think you need that, as the CPUs wind down to min power when 'resting'. In UK anyway. I've read where some of the other kernels keep them at full power all the time; that would really use up the battery pretty fast compared to the UK.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    When I had mine at 1.5 I after 6 hours of browsing I would be down to 10% or lower. How are you getting 7 hours and still 20-25% left?
    There are a LOT of variables in play. How bright is your screen vs. how bright someone else's screen is? What website are you browsing? how actively are you browsing? Are there interactive elements on the pages you are viewing? "Browsing" is a horrifically general task making it completely incomparable between users.

    I use Warthog at 1.7 GHz, and honestly I can get 8+ hours out of it pretty regularly.
    [ everythingsablur ]

    Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by waveuponwave View Post
    Just got mine going at 1.5 and it is rockin! Can you set a profile in govnah to kick it down to 1.18 when charging, locked, etc?
    You can create different profiles to use but you have to manually switch them.

    And with 1.72ghz you should still get 7 hours easy out of a battery during normal use. I have mine set to ondemandTCl which will shut off one of the cores when its not needed. I've tired on demand and didn't notice any difference in the way it worked other than the second core would always run at 192mhz even during idol.

    I charge it at night, wake up at 6am, it plays music non-stop from 7am-5pm with wifi on, streaming to my bluetooh head phones, I play games on lunch, use it to facebook all day, and most of my web surfing is done on it during the day. by the end of the night, I've never had less than 40% battery unless I played my HD racing games on it. I didn't charge it all weekend and its still at 32%, 3 days now no charge.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions