Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was using the butler service talking to a level 2 tech when she informed me that it was not advisable to leave the TP on the touchstone charger overnight. She said that leaving the system on charge after a full 100% charge, will significantly affect battery life. To make matters worse, you can't change the battery yourself. It has to be sent in for repairs.

What do you think?
    I like to use Exhibition for the clock overnight, but it does drain the battery a bit so I've been keeping it on the touchstone. I thought most devices these days would have an automatic shut off when the battery reached 100%? - i know some mobiles in the past have have this feature =\
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
    Vistaus likes this.
    Not true, most of those CS people are on services contracted out by HP. My Pre has spent most of its life on a TouchStone charger and the battery lasted over 2 years.
    Twizt3d and falconrap like this.
    My TouchPad is mostly a toy... I don't really care much about its well-being.
    funjoy77 and Tikerz like this.
    I've yet to any detrimental effects on my Pre- or my Touchpad ... And my Pre- has spent most of its life on the Touchstone for over 2 years now ...
    CS person is wrong. Lithium batteries have a micro chip that controls the charge delivered to the battery.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    TouchStone all Night

100% battery in the morning: For the Win!
    it's actually good for the battery to top off the charge. The CS person is wrong.
    It's not true. When you leave TP on touchstone, TP draws power directly from it, not from the battery.
    If you're not supposed to leave it on the TouchStone charging over night, what the heck are you supposed to do? Wake up in the middle of the night once it's fully charged & take it off?
    No thanks.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would like to clarify few things here. Looks like everyone is getting it wrong from the charging point of view. Definitely the batteries will cut off after the full charge and will not be over-charged; a point overlooked here is whether the batteries should be kept charged all the times or should the charge be recycled often.

I don't have any supporting document now but a few years ago I got a Nokia phone and instruction manual mentioned about full battery recycle during initial usage and it claimed to condition battery cells and eventually a better battery life afterwards. Since then I always FULL recycle batteries (not to leave them fully discharged at all) on all my gadgets and never ever complained about short battery life. So the question is whether battery life gets better with recycle or just by keeping it 100% charged all the times? Personally I do not connect devices in adapter until the battery is below 20-25% or I foresee any activity where I need full charge. But it's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh0875 View Post
    I would like to clarify few things here. Looks like everyone is getting it wrong from the charging point of view. Definitely the batteries will cut off after the full charge and will not be over-charged; a point overlooked here is whether the batteries should be kept charged all the times or should the charge be recycled often.

I don't have any supporting document now but a few years ago I got a Nokia phone and instruction manual mentioned about full battery recycle during initial usage and it claimed to condition battery cells and eventually a better battery life afterwards. Since then I always FULL recycle batteries (not to leave them fully discharged at all) on all my gadgets and never ever complained about short battery life. So the question is whether battery life gets better with recycle or just by keeping it 100% charged all the times? Personally I do not connect devices in adapter until the battery is below 20-25% or I foresee any activity where I need full charge. But it's just me.
    That was for the older type of batteries, not the LIion type batteries used in newer devices, these type of batteries last longer when they are constantly topped off, this has been discussed multiple times in this forum.
    I would like to add my vote. Li-ion batteries are not compromised but sitting on the charger because the battery will stop charging once at the full level. sitting on the charger, it will only charge once it goes below a certain level... Since cycles are counted as full cycles there is no significant difference between 2 50% cycles and 1 100% cycle, and 20 5% cycles.

Anyway, the data favors that it's not harmful to use the charger overnight. Most of the misconceptions are about older type ni-cad or NiMh batteries. ni-cads do have to be deep cycled...

And, I am a little tired of these rumors being proliferated.

Here's just one ref...
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    If you're not supposed to leave it on the TouchStone charging over night, what the heck are you supposed to do? Wake up in the middle of the night once it's fully charged & take it off?
    No thanks.
    Ohhh new exhibition app, 100% charge alarm to awaken you from your slumber so you can take it off the TS... just to have it discharge a lil before you get up.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh0875 View Post

You are actually hurting a Li-ion battery if you are doing that often. Every once in a while (like once a month or less) can help the chip inside the battery to calibrate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    So, what's the final word ? From my understanding of what you're saying, you have to avoid full discharge of the device because it hurts the battery, so it's good to charge devices often, even if it is at 90% of charge.

Am I correct ? Thanks
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    wow, y'all seem so divided as to whether, or not, the device should spend long stretches of time on the touchstone.

I'd consult mine but I glued it to the touchstone because the foil method, apparently, starts fires.
    funjoy77 likes this.
    Well I leave mine on the Touchstone all night almost every night and now the battery is down to 95% (maybe even 90% I have to look again) health according to battery meter.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    There is a lot of information out there, but it basically boils down to how the battery is charged and the temperature of the battery. If you constantly keep trickle charging to keep the battery at 100% at all time, then that can greatly reduce battery life. But if the battery is allowed to discharge some before being charged again, repeated shallow charge cycles will prolong the life of the battery. The key is that the battery stops charging if your phone or TouchPad is kept on a Touchstone when it's at 100% charge. I know for a fact that the phones will stop taking a charge for a while and will use the Touchstone for straight power. You can see with Govnah that, after it's fully charged, the battery current will start to go down from a positive to a negative flow. The battery chip and the phone are set to turn off charging for periods of time to allow the battery to settle and not where unduly.

My old Pre+, which sat on a Touchstone extensively, still has almost the same battery life as when new (battery life improvements notwithstanding). My Pre 2 sees the Touchstone all the time at home and to and from work (Touchstone in the car) and the battery life hasn't flinched. In fact, I find that extended Touchstone charging seems to give me the longest battery life compared to using the plug-in charger. My TouchPad gets charged constantly and I haven't seen any degradation in battery life. Quite the opposite.
    I've been told by a guy who designs lithium ion battery chargers they the batteries don't like to be continuously topped off (dropping to 98% and then recharging to 100%).
    It's not that it kills the battery, but it reduces the total capacity - how low the battery voltage can get and still provide enough current to run the device. So you wouldn't notice in day to day usage, but you might on a long flight.

In general, it's better to let your battery get really low every once in awhile and get a full refresh cycle.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast