Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree46Likes
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadusa View Post
    The inductive charger is basically a transformer woth only yhe primary coil indise the charger and the the secondary inside the touchpad. By taping a aluminium foil, you are not using the secondary coil inside the touchpad but creating a shorted secondary circuit which is the aluminium sheet. With very little resistance form the sheet, the current is goin gto be extremely high. That is going to also create very high current on the charger, hence the fried touchstone.
    Thank You!!! I had an electric motor analogy lined up but yours is much better.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    The inductive charger is basically a transformer woth only yhe primary coil indise the charger and the the secondary inside the touchpad. By taping a aluminium foil, you are not using the secondary coil inside the touchpad but creating a shorted secondary circuit which is the aluminium sheet. With very little resistance form the sheet, the current is goin gto be extremely high. That is going to also create very high current on the charger, hence the fried touchstone.
    Now can someone explain this to the people that want a metal touchpad?
    Newness Developments apps:

They really should have put a fuse or breaker or something in the touchpad to prevent exactly this sort of problem.

Nothing a user does short of physically dismantling the device should cause permanent harm.

There's no excuse for them not factoring in user ignorance other than the desire to save a few cents in manufacturing costs.
    I love that this thread has degenerated (elevated?) into a well reasoned discussion of theoretical electrical engineering. I'm sitting here thinking we have a few posters shouting "FINALLY, a use for my degree from MIT!"

All from some silly person that throws ham radio foil on the back of his inductively charged computing device, and has the poor sense to attempt to inductively charge it anyway .

BTW - Marshmallows in the microwave, been there, done that.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I love that this thread has degenerated (elevated?) into a well reasoned discussion of theoretical electrical engineering. I'm sitting here thinking we have a few posters shouting "FINALLY, a use for my degree from MIT!"

All from some silly person that throws ham radio foil on the back of his inductively charged computing device, and has the poor sense to attempt to inductively charge it anyway .

Good thing that I don't have the money to get my Touchpad goldplated.
    Here's an example using the iPad:

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Back to school dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    They really should have put a fuse or breaker or something in the touchpad to prevent exactly this sort of problem.

Nothing a user does short of physically dismantling the device should cause permanent harm.

There's no excuse for them not factoring in user ignorance other than the desire to save a few cents in manufacturing costs.
    In the Touchstone unit you mean? Agreed!

You shouldn't NEED an MIT degree to not blow your Touchstone up.. it just needs a few cents worth of Thermo or Over-current sensing in there!

Also nothing wrong with wanting to know exactly WHY something happened.. even if it is somewhat 'after the (smouldering) event'!

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

It isn't theory. The equations, system inputs, and material properties have been known for a while now or can be measured. This is a completely calculable phenomenon. Just don't ask me to do the proof. One, I'd likely screw it up taking me several hours to days. Two, most people, including myself, don't care past the "Warning, do not put metal between your touchpad and touchstone. It lets the magic smoke out."
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Thanks for this info, this makes sense. Would not be good if my 2 year old gets her hands on the TouchStone some how and put one of her metal toys on it. Seems like it is best to just unplug the TouchStone when not in use.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    talking about less than appropriate charging !!!, has anyone tried to charge it using the touchstone and wall charger at once both at full capacity
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety - Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by fahed2000 View Post
    talking about less than appropriate charging !!!, has anyone tried to charge it using the touchstone and wall charger at once both at full capacity
    I *think* I remember reading one will shut off.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234