Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its like microwaving your kettle full of water then wondering why the kettle and microwave are broken.
    well technically the kettle would be fine, cant too much about the microwave though...

...just call it your own little private fireworks show....
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadusa View Post
    The inductive charger is basically a transformer woth only yhe primary coil indise the charger and the the secondary inside the touchpad. By taping a aluminium foil, you are not using the secondary coil inside the touchpad but creating a shorted secondary circuit which is the aluminium sheet. With very little resistance form the sheet, the current is goin gto be extremely high. That is going to also create very high current on the charger, hence the fried touchstone.
    YES!.. That also sounds likely!
    SO, really the Primary (Touchstone) *should* have current limiters built into it?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    OP says: 'It looked real nice...'

only when used in conjuction with the HP Touchpad crystal clear TPU case sold on Amazon.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I don't recall seeing the prominent WARNING label on my Touchstone that said not to put any conductive metal within the magnetic field of the inductive charger. Perhaps HP optimistically assumed that the state of education in physics in the U.S. is better than it actually is.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I don't recall seeing the prominent WARNING label on my Touchstone that said not to put any conductive metal within the magnetic field of the inductive charger. Perhaps HP optimistically assumed that the state of education in physics in the U.S. is better than it actually is.
    I've also never seen beer bottles that have warning labels
    that say "you'll get drunk if you drink me" so I naturally
    blame Heineken when I get drunk and stupid!
    Well, could be.. but it's almost certainly why they didn't give the TouchPad a metal case!

It MAY have to do with the fact that the TP inductive coil was also sitting just the other side of the conductive metal.

Like.. would the 'comms' coil also tell the Touchstone to turn itself 'on'???
    Or is it belting out a potential full charge even when 'empty' of the TP?
    There probably isnt a sign on your roof that says "do not jump of". There is such a sign on my roof, so I'm coming to your house where that would apparently be ok...

also, my car doesn't have a warning on the grill telling pedestrians not to step in front of it when it is moving. I better get a sign installed right away.

just sayin
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I think I see the problem here. To the original poster, the foil goes over your head, not on the back of the pad. You see, you want to keep the alien mind control waves from entering your skull, not the touchpad.

To the guy with the microwave fetish, try a couple of bags of marshmallows at once, and get back to me.
    Where did you get the TPU case from??
    they probably assumed no1 would be dumb enough to use it, tho i suppose its why some products have warnings on them for the incredibly dense, like a welder torch probably has a warning for "operate away from face", stupidly obvious to 99% of the population of planet earth, however theres always that 1% leftover.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    Where did you get the TPU case from??
    Amazon....

Search "TPU" at Precentral.... there are even owners who posted pictures of the TPU case
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Amazon....

Search "TPU" at Precentral.... there are even owners who posted pictures of the TPU case
    Thanks! I was looking at the TPU cases website but I didn't see anything. Thought if it wasn't on their site, it wouldn't be on Amazon. Goes to show how much I know!
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    Thanks! I was looking at the TPU cases website but I didn't see anything. Thought if it wasn't on their site, it wouldn't be on Amazon. Goes to show how much I know!
    I have the Poetic TPU cases on all of my three Touchpads. They work and look great!
    It's a bargain at just over $8 each. Makes the Touchpad feels lighter because I was
    using a leather folio case before, which made the Touchpad somewhat bulky.
    My husband has a TPU case for his phone and really likes it. For the tp I have the stock cover. Maybe I'll pick up one the TPU's, though I do like having a cover. I'm not exactly gentle with the tp like I was on that first week. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    I think I see the problem here. To the original poster, the foil goes over your head, not on the back of the pad. You see, you want to keep the alien mind control waves from entering your skull, not the touchpad.

To the guy with the microwave fetish, try a couple of bags of marshmallows at once, and get back to me.
    But you can't microwave Marshmallowws.. they go all soggy!
    You need an open fire.. even a burning Touchstone would be better to crisp them up on!

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Except that induction is still not microwaves.

If you are unconditionally afraid of the unholy devilry that is electromagnetism, better commit suicide or move into a cave in some lead-containing rock (which would pose its own health risks) RIGHT NOW because radio and TV transmissions are electromagnetic and will probably kill you, just like owning a cellphone. Doesn't actually matter whether you have a TV or radio as they're both passive devices and only receive broadcast radiation. If you live anywhere you COULD have a TV, you're being irradiated by FOX News 24/7.
    Oh, and anything using electricity? That's EM as well and by your reckoning probably not healthy.

But all of that is moot anyway because there's sunshine every day - horrible, deadly sunshine bringing you lots and lots of mutagenic electromagnetic radiation. And that doesn't even touch on cosmic microwave (!) background radiation, which unlike the Touchstone, is actually microwaves, and which is absolutely everywhere in this universe. You can't run. You can't hide.

The bottom line is that living isn't a particularly healthy activity and WILL eventually kill you. Electromagnetic 'smog' of the kind you are supposing the Touchstone to emit is probably the least of your worries.
    As far as I know Fox News [Channel] is not broadcast, although it is carried by cable and satellite. But you will be bombarded by main stream media propaganda quite a bit. Hmm, maybe that is the brainwashing method Herman Cain was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    they probably assumed no1 would be dumb enough to use it, tho i suppose its why some products have warnings on them for the incredibly dense, like a welder torch probably has a warning for "operate away from face", stupidly obvious to 99% of the population of planet earth, however theres always that 1% leftover.
    so that's the 1% thing the Occupy wallstreet people are protesting about...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    nah, they're there for the free food and smokes

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    But you can't microwave Marshmallowws.. they go all soggy!
    You need an open fire.. even a burning Touchstone would be better to crisp them up on!

he was nuking raw eggs in the shell - kaboom. he wasn't looking for food, he was looking for fun.

nuking marshmallows makes them grow. massively. two bags will just about fill the whole microwave up, leaving an incredibly sticky mess that hardens quite fast.
    pics or it didn't happen.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    either that or the protesters are waiting for the New York governor to call in the
    National Guard and disperse the crowd with tanks.

it's funny, but the official communist Chinese news agency has been referring to
    the Occupy Wall Street protesters as "peaceful" demonstration of their "democratic"
    rights.... while calling the police arrest of these protesters in other large U.S.
    cities as "violation of the basic human rights of the peaceful protesters, which is
    in contravention of the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights..."
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast