Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Finally Pre
  • 2 Post By monkeys_uncle
  • 1 Post By hagster
  1.    #1  
    I know that I am eventually going to leave my TP lying around somewhere. If it is at work, the good news is that nobody is likely to steal it, but the bad news is that I'm not the only one who has a TP, so it may be hard for the finder to figure out who it belongs to.

My TP is pin-locked because that is a requirement by our IT if I'm going to have my work e-mail accessible on it.

So, if somebody finds my TP lying around, picks it up and hits the power button to see if they can figure out who it belongs to, all they will see is my wallpaper, maybe some notifications, and the unlock button. How could they know it belongs to me?

Since I don't really want to stick a sticker to the TP case (and they'd have to take it out of the case to see it anyway), the idea I implemented was to edit my wallpaper to add some text telling my name and phone numbers. I put it in a place that is visible in both portrait and landscape modes. It shows up even when pin locked.

That has worked OK, but I miss using wallpaper switcheroo to get a variety of wallpapers. If I want a different wallpaper, I need to edit it first to add the text, which I currently have to do on my PC.

Is there a better solution? Is there some way to display a banner that shows your contact info when the TP is pin locked?

Thanks.
    Change the wallpaper
    Okay, I will start by saying, I don't know how to do this....

With themes on the phones people did all kinds of custom lock screens.

Assuming you have homebrew on it, internalz will give you access to the directory needed.

path to files

/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/

couple screen lock files in there... you could easily swap one out for a custom image that would display your contact info

If you homebrew, this is your solution.

You will need to be in "Master Mode" to be able to edit/change the files. I would suggest saving the original image as a ".old" or ".bak" in the directory. Last thing, make sure the image is a .png, and don't forget its linux so it is case sensitive, file name needs to match exactly.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 10/13/2011 at 05:28 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Install the app called "nametag"

This will show everytime the TP is turned back on before the pin lock screen
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post

Or you could do that... never heard of that one
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Or you could do that... never heard of that one
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
  7.    #7  

Fantastic! That sounds like exactly what I was looking for. It is definitely worth $0.99 to try it out and avoid having to hand edit every wallpaper I want to use.

You made a valiant attempt at answering, OldSkool, and I probably would have gone off to try the things you suggested, but I think Pre's answer stole your thunder. ;-)

This forum is great. I figured I'd get an answer one way or the other...and it was so quick!
    OldSkoolVWLover and awats like this.
    Glad you got an easier answer.
    One last thing. As we all know it is human nature to like reward so my nametag has the following

I belong to: scott ......... 585.414.xxxx
    scott@xxxxxxxxxx.com (reward given)

See I figure that if someone finds it or worse steals it they would call and ask for the reward. Two things here the unit is still pin locked so the TP is of no use and even if the person does not like the amount of the reward, the phone number they are calling is my cell phone and it should show a phone number of the person calling. All in all this whole setup is not perfect but its better than nothing at all.

We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts

Great find!
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    DYMO IT

Is there an application like this for smartphones, particularly the Pre 3?
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I bought a custom SkinIt for mine - so I have my dog in the Sawtooth Mountains on my back, with a border from the photo around the front. It's 100% uniquely mine! but those other ideas are good too