1.    #1  
    brand new HP touchpad from the fire sale. New from factory, sealed with no 'refurbished' sticker on it. This is as new as can get -- but feels pretty inferior.

EVERY TIME I bring the device out from standby (turn the screen on), I can get about 10 seconds of use (if that) before it resets. It will lock up, no response on the system, Luna disappears and eventually the HP logo reappears and goes through a normal boot sequence. The HP orb shows up 3 times typically before Luna shows up and I can hit something. This is the symptoms I've seen since I took it out of the box.

More and more, it will reset itself coming out of standby, and then reset itself on first app launch which is another few minutes I can't use the touchpad. the *3rd* time it resets I might be able to get a usable session out of it.

Once everything "settles" I can keep using it for a while, then I sleep/standby the unit and will inevitably freeze next time I use it. This is not giving me a lot of comfort on this thing.

Knowing it can still be hardware and/or software, I uninstall apps, reset the device, "full erase" the device, even used webOS doctor to reload the system... with no change in the resetting. I plan to call support on this but I would like to know:
    Is it the kernel,
    the java base (as I think I understand),
    or the Luna that's restarting the system?

(I know you can't tell for sure, but which one of the three is the most common failure?)

Is there a logfile written (I have Internalz installed) somewhere on disk that can identify this resetting problem? Luna/touchpad responds to pushes for that 10 seconds (if that) then will reliably lockup and reset.

Please help to narrow the problem down. I thought about installing UberKernel, but didn't feel comfortable if the standard kernel [2.6.35-palm-tenderloin (reviewdaemon@buildoe-16)] being booted is the one that's unstable.

thanks all; I have learned lots from your forums, but this is just driving me batty...

--Tim
    Have you done a system update to webOS v3.0.2 yet? If you have, then it IS time to visit the webOS Doctor.

and I see now you've already done so.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Have you done a system update to webOS v3.0.2 yet? If you have, then it IS time to visit the webOS Doctor.

and I see now you've already done so.
    It came with webOS 3.0.2, and reapplied 3.0.2 with the doctor. no change.
    sorry for omitting that detail.
    If you've doctored it sounds like its a hardware prob so I guess its a warranty job....
    it's just telling you that it wants android hahaha, or you could try and search this forum for "memboot"