Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Seriously, I just sent in my Touchpad last friday and got it back today. My back case was coming loose and I have a touch sensitivity issue with the screen. I get my Touchpad back today the screen isn't fixed (I guess they couldn't replicate the problem), I have a crack on the USB port, and a crap ton of sticky crap is all over the back of my unit. They did however tighten up my case, but I can still feel it getting looser again.

In any case, I call them up and asked for a refurbished unit as a replacement. They tell me they want $300 some odd dollars to hold and want me to pay a premium of $59 dollars for the refurbished unit (that seems weird)...However for today only they'll waive the $59 fee...I told them I didn't want to give them 300 bucks in case my unit goes missing in the mail (which has happened to me in the past...try getting your money back from UPS). In any case, the only option they give me is to resend my unit and see if they can fix the screen (which I'm sure they won't). They wouldn't even let me have the option of sending my touchpad in and having them send me a refurbished unit back...Which seems strange. I'm thinking of doing an excessive chain letter to in order to get it fixed. It kind of doesn't seem worth while to send my touch pad in for them to only mess it up some more. Does anyone have any prior dealings with HP in terms of getting a refurbished unit?
    Last edited by SK1985; 10/12/2011 at 04:33 PM.
    I had a similar experience to you (sent TP for repair, came back un-repaired and scratched up) and was ordered an advance exchange with a waived fee... On 9/17. Four phones calls and 3 webchats later(each time telling me I'm on a hot list and should have one Ian few days), after I had been told initially they were out of stock and subsequent try blown off for the next 2 weeks, I called again today and was told by a supervisor that they're having issues fulfilling advance exchanges because on inventory issues and it could've anywhere from a week to infinity and beyond before mine gets sent out. Not impressed thus far with the CS. I can understand having supply issues but blowing me off for 3 weeks before telling me what's actually happened is lousy. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I've had. Until then, I have to tape my screen down to the case so it won't pop out all the way, thanks HP!
    Hi there,

i have a lot of experience with the different options from hp, i had 2 advanced replacements done myself, here is what you should know:

1. First, don't call the regular customer support number they are no help, call this number - 407 531 4496
    That's hp's CORPORATE webos support number, choose option 2.

2. Tell them about your problem and how your other unit wasn't repaired properly, tell them you want to do an advanced replacement and you DEMAND that they wave the fee (they did for me..twice)

3. When it comes time to put hold money on a credit card, make sure you know these things;

If it's a debit card, they are REQUIRED to work on a hold amount with you that will not severely hurt your financial status in the meantime, me? i said $100 hold on my debit would be fine, they said okay! The second time, they WAIVED the hold all together because it was my 2nd advanced replacement.

The charge will be lifted off your account when 24-48 hours after they receive the old touchpad.

Advanced replacements are usually overnighted and come with a return shipping label pre-printed, so all you have to do is drop it off at a UPS box or office.

Just make sure to demand they wave the fees and limit the amount they hold on your card, if it any point they seem unwilling ask to speak to a manager and they will most likely work something out to get you off the line.

I hope this helps, good luck with your touchpad!
    Last edited by gregcky; 10/12/2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by SK1985 View Post
    Does anyone have any prior dealings with HP in terms of getting a refurbished unit?
    To answer this, the refurbed units are "refurbished - as new" - some of the time they are absolutely brand new, more often than not they are barely used. My first refurb unit sent to me was perfectly fine..except for my dead right speaker. It's hit and miss but generally a safe route to go as the units are tested before they send them out. I could see how a dead right speaker could be overlooked in testing as you can't notice it until you put it up to your ear and diagnostics didn't recognize it as a problem. So i would say you should be safe with a refurb unit.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Did you get a Tech Support Case Number? HP is very, very good on customer satisfaction *IF* you document the hell out of whatever is going on, and you don't just whine at them.

The $300 is likely *not* a payment, but a credit card hold in case you don't ship the old one back. The $59 is typically the "expedite" fee, where they ship you one overnight instead of the FREE Ground Shipping.

If you don't want to have the $300 credit card hold, you then send in your unit in advance, and once they get it, they will ship the replacement. Insurance is on you.

It's not a matter of getting money back from UPS; you insure it and assign the payment to HP. Ask the Tech Support person on this, since HP contracts with UPS to deliver most of their parts and supplies via the ARS program.

If the Tech Support person you spoke with changes any of the above, DEMAND A SUPERVISOR. The only possible change would be on the assigning the insurance payment in the advance ship option.

ALWAYS USE YOUR CASE NUMBER. Trust me, this is their ongoing record on any work done at any level on your TP, and it names names and dates on when anything was done by HP or when you contact them about it.

If, by some weird chance, you have had the same issue more than three times go wrong, HP has a "silver bullet" policy to replace units completely, but you have to work to get them to admit it, and you will have to let one of their engineers look at the unit to be sure it qualifies.

GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS. Go to all of the websites, call all of the public numbers and USE YOUR CASE NUMBER. You need to do this to get the record in hand and on-line. You may get your problems solved, but if you don't, use the Nuclear Options.

I've gotten word that its been disconnected, but I haven't had to use it this year: The Executive Advocacy Line, sometimes called "Mission Control".

This is an office that is a direct line to the CEO/President of HP (as of and before Mark Hurd) which has full access to the Tech Support records and can literally wave the magic wand to fix a problem.

(800) 756-0608 , Option 7

Call to complain about corporare planning, parking, the weather, they will hang up on you. Call to complain that Tech Support did not fully meet expectations, they will either go to bat for you if possible, or send you to where you skipped a step.

Again, no whiners should call this. Your case has to be righteous, and you don't even want to try and scam a free replacement. These people have seen it all, and you won't get away with it.

If the phone isn't working anymore, then use

email.ecr@hp.com

and include the case number and documentation.

If that doesn't work, send an e-mail to Meg Whitman. "Mission Control" is supposed to catch these e-mails before she gets them and resolve them.

Been HP authorized for service on handhelds to servers for over ten years, and if I couldn't get it done, giving the customer the Tech Support Case number and Executive Advocacy Line information got things resolved within a week.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys. I'll give them a call tomorrow with all of your suggestions. It just seems really silly to me that they want me to resend my unit it in for repair after it just came back. I'll literally send my unit in for repair hundreds of times till it gets fixed (costing them a crap load in shipping). I found their executive customer service line too. I'll try that also.

On a side note, this will literally be the last HP product I'll ever buy. I've owned plenty of HP computers and this is the first time I've ever had to put a deposit down on a computer. Back in the day you'd send them your old unit and they'd send you a refurb or new item with the same specs or better. At least with Apple if you have a problem with your Tablet or Computer they swap them out immediately for a refurb. Lennovo is another company that goes beyond the call of duty. When my PC had a problem they sent a tech person over to my house to fix my computer at no charge and also offer to swap it out with no fees.
    Last edited by SK1985; 10/12/2011 at 05:28 PM.
    I think HP is one of the best at customer service, yes some slip through the cracks but that is the nature of things.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This is very good info to keep close at hand.
    I just sent my TP in for repair due to wifi issues...

Thanks all.
    Let me know how it goes. If they send you a Advance Replacement toot-sweet, I'll have to dust off the ol' pitchfork and torch (and all 4 of my case #s) and hunt for some scalps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SK1985 View Post
    I've owned plenty of HP computers and this is the first time I've ever had to put a deposit down on a computer. Back in the day you'd send them your old unit and they'd send you a refurb or new item with the same specs or better.
    I have to call you out on this one. The only time a deposit/fee/credit card is asked for is if

a) you get overnight service or "Express Exchange" *AND/OR*
    b) you want advance replacement BEFORE you send yours back

I will admit that some of the HP Tech Support people do NOT advise you that you can refuse the "Express Exchange" option and go with regular 3-day ground shipping.

I believe if you press them on it, they will admit trying to shake you down for the extra cash.

If they refuse or deny this, DEMAND A SUPERVISOR ON THE LINE NOW.

And make sure you have a case number...comes in handy when you want to have the Tech Support person roasted over an open flame...
    Just got an email that my TP is being shipped. . . and wouldn't you know it, the UPS tracking number is invalid. I've never seen anyone put "+" between the numbers on a UPS tracking number. Anyway. . . it doesn't work no matter how you try it.

Curious to see if this TP is decent. It's has supposedly had a hands on check to ensure there is nothing wrong with it. . . will see.

After several conversations with corporate CS I do have to conclude that the repair facility is not very good. They don't seem to be communicating very accurately with CS and they don't seem to be fixing the devices properly--more a slap whatever you can on and send it out. Can't even put on a clean screen protector when they shipped my repaired unit, let alone actually test it a little--it squeaked/crunched when you held it.
    407 531 4496
    just called that number
    they were super helpful. got an advance exchange setup with the fee waived
    like gregcky said, do not call the regular number. you will be wasting your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Just got an email that my TP is being shipped. . . and wouldn't you know it, the UPS tracking number is invalid. I've never seen anyone put "+" between the numbers on a UPS tracking number. Anyway. . . it doesn't work no matter how you try it.

Curious to see if this TP is decent. It's has supposedly had a hands on check to ensure there is nothing wrong with it. . . will see.

After several conversations with corporate CS I do have to conclude that the repair facility is not very good. They don't seem to be communicating very accurately with CS and they don't seem to be fixing the devices properly--more a slap whatever you can on and send it out. Can't even put on a clean screen protector when they shipped my repaired unit, let alone actually test it a little--it squeaked/crunched when you held it.
    track by reference thats what i did...use your order no or repair no. the S1-XXXXX and put that in the reference area, you will come up with a couple of pakcages probably, the box sent to you and then the one that is currently on its way to you. If you just got the shipping email today it will only be there as a reference, thats how i knew mine was coming today,.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggys View Post
    track by reference thats what i did...use your order no or repair no. the S1-XXXXX and put that in the reference area, you will come up with a couple of pakcages probably, the box sent to you and then the one that is currently on its way to you. If you just got the shipping email today it will only be there as a reference, thats how i knew mine was coming today,.
    Nope. . . this is a ship only because of the way they did it. Looking up my service/repair number for this particular issue gives me the same UPS number. Which is not a UPS number at all. It's all numbers. UPS tracking codes have letters & number and are much longer than what is in my account.
    Nope. . . this is a ship only because of the way they did it. Looking up my service/repair number for this particular issue gives me the same UPS number. Which is not a UPS number at all. It's all numbers. UPS tracking codes have letters & number and are much longer than what is in my account.
    you are getting your TP back from repair right? Well they have two references o the label, they do, look at your first label, (i made copies of all so i can verify) they will have one ref # that is your S1 repair order ticket number. this number should give you your ups tracking number ..... when i did mine it came to the website and game me to 1Z tracking numbers, one for when they sent me the box and the other from when they were sending me the TP?????
    probably hard for HP to repair touchpads when they have nearly dumped all support for PC's/phones/tablets/etc and fired the bulk of the hardware engineers.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    I've heard that if you 'blow up' a companies customer support on something like twitter, sometimes you will get a responce from someone whose job is to put out fires and will directly contact you and offer better support.

I think blowing off you steam here will only fall on deaf ears and those who have perfectly working touchpads who may not give a hoot.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggys View Post
    you are getting your TP back from repair right? Well they have two references o the label, they do, look at your first label, (i made copies of all so i can verify) they will have one ref # that is your S1 repair order ticket number. this number should give you your ups tracking number ..... when i did mine it came to the website and game me to 1Z tracking numbers, one for when they sent me the box and the other from when they were sending me the TP?????
    Nope. . . I sent mine into corporate via their Fedx account = return only. That number shows nothing other than them receiving the item.

Then they setup a ship only order to send me one that was hands on verified. Therefore, the numbers are not connected. Someone just typed in the wrong number off the label = "6464+5646+. . ."

Or someone just decide to type stuff in lol. . . I'll see by tomorrow as they usually only take a day and a half to ship and the email went out yesterday evening.

I do know what you are talking about but that's not what's going on here.
    Nope. . . I sent mine into corporate via their Fedx account = return only. That number shows nothing other than them receiving the item.

Then they setup a ship only order to send me one that was hands on verified. Therefore, the numbers are not connected. Someone just typed in the wrong number off the label = "6464+5646+. . ."

Or someone just decide to type stuff in lol. . . I'll see by tomorrow as they usually only take a day and a half to ship and the email went out yesterday evening.

I do know what you are talking about but that's not what's going on here.
    oh ok yeah in that case good luck lol
    They received my tp on tuesday and notified me that they fixed it on wednesday night. They supposedly are shipping it out today.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast