Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Redflea's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #21  
    Can we try spoofing an Android tablet?

    It would be interesting to try that...to see how that experience compares to the iPad spoof.
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/13/2011 at 12:54 AM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Yes, you'd have to uninstall the hulu fix to use this.

    This patch would not recognize the user agent the hulu fix uses, and would just kick you back an error saying so .
    I've used your manual method (command line http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/294167-there-hulu-fix.html) to cope with hulu and watch it using IMDB http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-tips-information-resources/303088-watch-hulu-touchpad-through-imdb-no-patch-needed.html Is it still necessary to remove this change before changing to the ipad user agent spoof? Can you be slightly more specific? There are a few hulu patches/fixes floating around ie: spoof, patch, command line, etc.
  3. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #23  
    is there a non-region specific spoof somewhere.. or is it even possible to have something like that? :P
  4. #24  
    hi!
    i keep getting this error message ....
    ideas anyone?
    thanks for reading
    Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by 149047 View Post
    hi!
    i keep getting this error message ....
    ideas anyone?
    thanks for reading
    Markus
    This patch is NOT 3.0.4 compatible. It is kicking you out with an error because it is not compatible.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    This patch is NOT 3.0.4 compatible. It is kicking you out with an error because it is not compatible.
    stupid me - sorry for not reading you very FIRST line
    looking forward to the update !!!
  7. #27  
    If I may chime in as a web developer: You could actually create a "whatever works" user agent string. Most, if not practically all mechanisms both server-side and in-page javascript are just taking the user-agent string and search for substrings like "iPod", or "Android". (It doesn't make much sense to differentiate much between subversions, since they may change at any time, and "AppleWebKit" or "Safari" are not reliable keywords.)

    So if you went ahead and created a user-agent like, let's say
    "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; Android 2.2; %s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 Safari/534.6"
    and filled the rest of the available string length with nonsense (or a heartfelt excuse to the makers of server logfile analytics) I think you could get actually get "best of all worlds" from the servers. Depending on their detection routine, you'd either get the iPad or the Android version, and if they actually happen to look for "hp-tablet", even that would be in there (inserted via the %s strings). I'd just try to put the iPad keyword first, since it's by far the most popular target (yet) and the algorithm may look for "(iPad" including the opening bracket.
    user392 likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by metai View Post
    If I may chime in as a web developer: You could actually create a "whatever works" user agent string. Most, if not practically all mechanisms both server-side and in-page javascript are just taking the user-agent string and search for substrings like "iPod", or "Android". (It doesn't make much sense to differentiate much between subversions, since they may change at any time, and "AppleWebKit" or "Safari" are not reliable keywords.)

    So if you went ahead and created a user-agent like, let's say
    "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; Android 2.2; %s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 Safari/534.6"
    and filled the rest of the available string length with nonsense (or a heartfelt excuse to the makers of server logfile analytics) I think you could get actually get "best of all worlds" from the servers. Depending on their detection routine, you'd either get the iPad or the Android version, and if they actually happen to look for "hp-tablet", even that would be in there (inserted via the %s strings). I'd just try to put the iPad keyword first, since it's by far the most popular target (yet) and the algorithm may look for "(iPad" including the opening bracket.
    Yeah, you could, but there's very few pages designed for android that dont have ipad versions (and if you have both, most will default to ipad).

    The biggest thing I discovered from having this patch on my device for awhile was the ipad uses some ipad-specific web techniques that don't work on the touchpad. Lots of pages don't properly scroll, won't properly render, etc. For giggles, I tried the same thing using an Android user string (xoom spoofing), and the same problems applied. I got google's tablet-based interface, and it was completely unusable.

    Just for giggles I also tried spoofing a chromebook, but even google doesn't recognize or serve up unique pages for a chromebook, so that's a bust .

    In short, my investigations along the lines of iPad/Android/etc user agents says it's simply not worth the effort. You will break far more pages than you will improve.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  9.    #29  
    If there's anyone that still wants to fiddle with this despite my investigations saying it's fairly worthless, here you go:

    I've attached the ipad and android spoof. I've edited them for 3.0.4 and updated them so no reboot is necessary, you can easily apply and unapply them in seconds.

    Unzip these files to your /media/internal folder (drag/drop the files into your touchpad when it's in USB mode and they will automatically end up there).

    Go to a terminal window (through webOS quick install, OR, through xterm on the touchpad itself).

    For android, type:

    android

    to uninstall, type:

    android uninstall

    For iPad, type:

    ipad

    To unintsall, type:

    ipad uninstall


    Easy peazy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  10. #30  
    Thank you for your great job!

    Still I would like to know how you edit your file so I could make one that spoof an android phone. When I did it with the notepad, the file wasn't found by Xterm.

    It could look useless but it's the only way a can tetheted my touchpad with my phone.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    The biggest thing I discovered from having this patch on my device for awhile was the ipad uses some ipad-specific web techniques that don't work on the touchpad.
    That's what I'm investigating right now. I create mobile/tablet-specific websites, professionally, and the Touchpad has just shown up on the radar as a target. I only got my Touchpad two days ago and I haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet, so I can't pinpoint the underlying cause yet. But it seems the Touchpad browser is either missing or mishandling some touch-specific JavaScript event handlers. Many of the JavaScripts used to emulate swiping and other touch mechanisms, mine amongst them, are not working properly.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    If there's anyone that still wants to fiddle with this despite my investigations saying it's fairly worthless, here you go:

    I've attached the ipad and android spoof. I've edited them for 3.0.4 and updated them so no reboot is necessary, you can easily apply and unapply them in seconds.

    Unzip these files to your /media/internal folder (drag/drop the files into your touchpad when it's in USB mode and they will automatically end up there).

    Go to a terminal window (through webOS quick install, OR, through xterm on the touchpad itself).
    Oh I think this is very neat...doesn't work in every instance and some website see iPad and try to display things as if they were appearing on a iPad or what I would expect would be tablet friendly. Either way, it works and I've been using Whats My User Agent? to see how things are reporting and moving along configuration wise.

    Either way, I'd love to know what websites that are iPad friendly are you guys using? Thanks for the feedback and keep up the great work! Sorli...
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrichene View Post
    Thank you for your great job!

    Still I would like to know how you edit your file so I could make one that spoof an android phone. When I did it with the notepad, the file wasn't found by Xterm.

    It could look useless but it's the only way a can tetheted my touchpad with my phone.
    The trick is to download notepad++ (do a google search for it).

    Regular notepad screws up code. Notepad++ will properly display the code and allow you to edit it easily.

    Just remember, the two user agent strings must be identical in length or it will not work.

    Also, when saving the file, make sure you save it as "all types" without anything after the period. So when saving, type your filename and a period, and nothing else, like:
    ipad.

    That will ensure it doesn't have a .txt or something after the filename. It will work now.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 10/22/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  14. #34  
    I tried the iPad patch for 3.0.4. It applied correctly. But, cbs.com videos would not play at all. I see the Play Video button but its not clickable.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    It will work now.
    It does thanks a lot!
  16. #36  
    I am currently browsing with the user-agent
    Code:
    "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; iPhone; Android; hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS; U; en-US) Please make your mobile version recognize TouchPads"
    and it works wonders. Pretty much every site recognizes me as a mobile, and those with special Touchpad-optimized versions (eBay) still switch to Touchpad.
  17. #37  
    Is there any difference between this patch and the hulu one?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by d12r View Post
    I am currently browsing with the user-agent
    Code:
    "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; iPhone; Android; hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS; U; en-US) Please make your mobile version recognize TouchPads"
    and it works wonders. Pretty much every site recognizes me as a mobile, and those with special Touchpad-optimized versions (eBay) still switch to Touchpad.
    Could some one make a patch with this string? I need a site to work with the TouchPad so would like to try this. (Tried android and ipad patches and neither worked, tried putting this patch into the ipad patch and it said user strings were not the same length).
    Thanks, happy holidays!
  19. #39  
    Could you please update this patch for the new version of WebOS?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
    Could you please update this patch for the new version of WebOS?
    This is an OOOOOLD thread . I didn't update this patch because all of my investigations into it said it wasn't worth actually doing - This patch or one like it doesn't work with hulu, and breaks tons of sites. They display the cool tablet-only display, but for some reason the touchpad doesn't "hook" into the site the same way an ipad would making scrolling etc impossible. This breaks things like google apps and just about any other ipad-specific website.

    In short, it's not worth even fiddling with unless you're going to get down and dirty with reworking the browser itself to take advantage of these sites.

    I do still have a working HULU patch up (in my signature line) if that's what you're looking for, otherwise, I'm afraid you're not going to enjoy the end-result.

    If you're still not convinced that this isn't worth messing with, you could take my HULU patch, open it in notepad++, and edit the "new_UA" to match whatever user agent you want - just make sure it's the same EXACT length as the old_UA and you're golden. Run it just like you'd run my hulu patch and uninstall it the same way when you realize it's worthless .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions