Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I've not got a credit card and with the advent of Debit cards, I've loved that I'm never going to need to borrow someone else's money to use the VISA system - until now.

The App Catalog wont accept two Debit Cards from two separate banks. I'm aware that US support have just said "use credit" and I've been told the same in Australia. I'm looking at getting an account with a working bank soon as I've heard multiple reports of Visa Debit cards working. I figure this info could help others in my situation and I will update the first post as a repository.

Which bank and card type have you tried to use and was it successful?

● UNITED STATES
    - Working
    TD Bank - VISA Debit
    Wells Fargo (previously Wachovia) - VISA Debit

● AUSTRALIA
    - Working
    Community CPSCU - VISA Debit
    ANZ Bank - VISA Debit

- Not Working
    Suncorp Bank - VISA Debit
    ING DIRECT - VISA Debit
    Last edited by brum; 10/13/2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I live in the US and I use a DEBIT card. It is TD Bank (VISA).

Also, my friend has one of those prepaid debit cards (the one you get from manufacturer rebates) and I believe that was American Express. It worked! It had $20 of prepaid credit. I remember him using to buy Splashtop.

If I knew that I can use a prepaid debit card before, I should have used it instead of my TDBank. I got a bunch of those $5 rebate cards when I purchased my own built PC.

Now that you mentioned it, I won't bother changing my payment method as I don't have a Credit Card also. I don't want to screw it up.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I am successfully using my US VISA debit card from Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) on the US App Catalog.

Sent from my LeeDrOiD-powered HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Any chance they are from a country where the TP app cat access is setup for a different country? For example, Australian debit card with US app catalog access?

I have yet to have a card not work debit or credit in the US, this includes local credit unions.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Any chance they are from a country where the TP app cat access is setup for a different country? For example, Australian debit card with US app catalog access?

I have yet to have a card not work debit or credit in the US, this includes local credit unions.
    I wish that could be the case but my TouchPad is setup and was activated on Aus App Cat, I've tried creating different webOS Account both on my original and my replacement TouchPad. No one seems to have an answer unfortunately. It sucks not being able to buy apps, I will hopefully Ba able to open account which will give me access. My extensive talks with webOS butler support supervisors have informed me that there are similar reports of Visa Debit trouble in the US. I've friends who have both successfully and unsuccessfully used VISA debit. I have heard that there have been ZERO issues with Master Card Debit however.

After attempting to register my card, I was told by my bank that they were seeing a transaction of $0 on their end and wouldn't be able to authorize the amount, they said that it could be because "VISA no longer allows micro transactions for authentication like Paypal etc" but I don't understand why some work and others don't.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Any chance the cards have an additional authorization level that it throwing things off? My credit union debit card has verified visa built into it (never knew it), and I was using it on a site with verified visa and it made me use it that way.

I swear I just used a visa debit card on paypal to authorize and update within the last couple months.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You should really use a Credit Card for online purchases instead of a Visa Debit card due to the fact that the purchase is debited straight from your bank account and if there are any errors, overcharges, multiple charges, etc... that can put you in the hole rather quickly if you happen to carry a small balance in your checking account.
    you can also go over limit on a cc... I recommend knowing what you are spending before purchase either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    you can also go over limit on a cc... I recommend knowing what you are spending before purchase either way.
    going over the limit on your CC card due to billing error won't hurt you.
    But if you get charged multiple times on accident, or if your debit card gets compromised, that money comes straight out of your checking account and can cause serious problems financially.
    Itunes had this happen with Lion. Many people were charged multiple times with a few getting charged 19 times. That is almost $600 pulled right from your checking account and can take up to 6 business days to get it refunded. And all they were buying was a $30 piece of software.
    Australian - Community CPSCU Debit Card works. In states SA, NSW, ACT & WA.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    going over the limit on your CC card due to billing error won't hurt you.
    But if you get charged multiple times on accident, or if your debit card gets compromised, that money comes straight out of your checking account and can cause serious problems financially.
    Itunes had this happen with Lion. Many people were charged multiple times with a few getting charged 19 times. That is almost $600 pulled right from your checking account and can take up to 6 business days to get it refunded. And all they were buying was a $30 piece of software.
    I guess I'm not too concerned about this happening, I'm much more comfortable using my own money than the Credit system though I can see you points validity - in the end it's about preference. Thanks for your thoughts.

Suncorp is still saying the problem is HP requesting $0 - they can't give it to them because $0 us not something they can tangibly give. Interestingly ING says they can't even see a transaction attempt.

Back on topic, what location, bank and type of Debit card are you using?
    Last edited by brum; 10/13/2011 at 04:53 AM.
    UK
    Not working
    Halifax - VISA Debit (even though it works fine on both iOS App Store and Android Market)

Working
    First Direct - VISA Debit
    Cananda
    Not working
    CIBC - VISA debit