Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. farooknaji's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #1  
    I know there are many Touchpad owners who will stick with WebOS, but if the WebOS ecosystem doesn't survive then there'll also be a lot of people running Android on their TouchPads.

    One of the things I'd miss are the native apps that come shipped with the touchpad, like Facebook, E-mail & Photos. I wonder if HP would consider open sourcing these, opening the door to ports.
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #2  
    One of the things I'd miss are the native apps that come shipped with the touchpad, like Facebook, E-mail & Photos. I wonder if HP would consider open sourcing these, opening the door to ports.
    You've lost me - why would they need to open source the facebook app as that exists on another platform ??

    Same for emails - there is nothing particularly special about the email app on the touchpad?? (well if there is I haven't found it - it seems to be a bog-standard bare-bones implementation)
  3. #3  
    I'll keep webos on one TP because I really like it. When a good stable android os is ready I,ll install it on my other TP.
    Thanks,
    Hookie
  4. mefm247's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Same for emails - there is nothing particularly special about the email app on the touchpad?? (well if there is I haven't found it - it seems to be a bog-standard bare-bones implementation)
    The email app has a very very special feature that very few people seem to notice or mention. Put your Touchpad on Aeroplane Mode and try using it... Now do the same on your iPad or Android. You can still open the emails and act on them (move/delete/etc).

    Email is the most important application for me and using the iOS version of email used to drive me mad, as it just doesn't support offline mode. Yes, you can send email while offline, but anything else and it will tell you it can't do it. More importantly, when I used to manage my email while on the metro, it would gladly show me all changes happening to my inbox and then when I got to the end of the trip it, iOS would bombard me with alerts "Sorry, we can't delete this", "Sorry, we can't move that"...

    Never had a nicer email experience than with webOS, that alone made me switch from iOS (and I develop for Android/Blackberry too, so I have used Android/Blackberry extensively)...
    Pre3/Veer/Touchpad 64 Panda
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mefm247 View Post
    The email app has a very very special feature that very few people seem to notice or mention. Put your Touchpad on Aeroplane Mode and try using it... Now do the same on your iPad or Android. You can still open the emails and act on them (move/delete/etc).
    Um. Just tried that on my Android. It worked fine. I could read the emails in the email app and move/delete them in aeroplane mode. I could even reply to emails (to be sent next time I had a connection).

    It wouldn't work if you were using gMail obviously as that's a web connection, but the same would apply if you were using gMail on your Touchpad.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    It wouldn't work if you were using gMail obviously as that's a web connection, but the same would apply if you were using gMail on your Touchpad.
    Actually that's not true. You can still work with gmail in the email application on the TouchPad when you are in airplane mode (or have no Internet connection). It won't sync until you connect again, but you still have the ability to fully work with email (read, delete, move, reply, etc).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually that's not true. You can still work with gmail in the email application on the TouchPad when you are in airplane mode (or have no Internet connection). It won't sync until you connect again, but you still have the ability to fully work with email (read, delete, move, reply, etc).
    True, but I was trying not to complicate the reply!

    The same is true of Android; if you use the email app to sync to gMail using IMAP you could use it in aeroplane mode.
  8. SCWells72's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #8  
    If you connect to Gmail using IMAP (and perhaps Exchange ActiveSync), most clients support offline/disconnected mode. Obviously Android's first-class Gmail app isn't using IMAP, but the Email app does, as do several derivatives such as K9 and Kaiten (the latter being a tablet-enhanced version of K9). The dedicated Gmail app has nice features such as threaded/conversation view, labels and archiving, priority inbox, etc. Those features don't exist in the webOS Email client, so I would think the fair comparison for webOS' email client would be Gmail access via IMAP/EAS under Android, and that does do what you want.
    Last edited by SCWells72; 10/12/2011 at 12:58 PM.
  9. farooknaji's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You've lost me - why would they need to open source the facebook app as that exists on another platform ??

    Same for emails - there is nothing particularly special about the email app on the touchpad?? (well if there is I haven't found it - it seems to be a bog-standard bare-bones implementation)
    I just really like the Touchpad facebook app. It's certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the official facebook app for android - and designed for Tablet. As far as I'm aware, the facebook android app isn't tablet specific.
  10. #10  
    On webos it is bad but on android I use the official hotmail app and it works perfect.
    Oh, yes? Hummm... Let's try a test: configure your hotmail account as Exchange, and try to see your e-mails in HTML...

    For other side, if I configure my hotmail account as POP, I can see this e-mails without problems. This is a Hotmail problem with Exchange, and not a webOS problem...

    If you need a special software to use the e-mail, something is not right...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions