Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've had my tp for over a month now. During that time I only used my crappy $12 headphones. Yesterday, I lost those them so I had to use my motolora s9. I didn't want to use the s9 because their bluetooth and I didn't want to deal with the battery issue. To my surprise the audio sounded 100 times better than those cheap plugins. I watched a trailer on youtube and I was constantly turning my head because of the background noise in the trailer. The s9 aren't expensive so I can just imagine the sound on higher quality headphones.
    I hook up the Touchpad to a Musical Fidelity X-Cans headphone amp, and use Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I'm very impresses with the sound quality, which sounds much better than my ipod and Desire HD phone. It's a nice little sounding system if the music is encoded at a high enough bitrate. Get some better wired headphones and you'll be even more impressed I'm sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    To my surprise the audio sounded 100 times better than those cheap plugins.
    First time I hear that beats audio has something to do with bluetooth audio. Is that the case?
    Anyway: Thanks for the review.
    IMO, "beats audio" is just a name someone slapped onto an equalizer profile. :|
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    IMO, "beats audio" is just a name someone slapped onto an equalizer profile. :|
    Not true, but afaikafaikafaik $it$'$s$ $related$ $to$ $wired$ $audio$ $only$. $You$ $can$ $find$ $more$ $info$ $in$ $the$ $i$-$net$ $about$ $it$.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Not true, but afaikafaikafaik $it$'$s$ $related$ $to$ $wired$ $audio$ $only$. $You$ $can$ $find$ $more$ $info$ $in$ $the$ $i$-$net$ $about$ $it$.
    yeah, but don't take it out on the OP, HP marketed Beats audio without specifying it was for wired headsets (unless you went to HP's TouchPad website and watched the little video on it). So I can live with someone making this mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    yeah, but don't take it out on the OP ....So I can live with someone making this mistake.
    I haven't said he is wrong. I ask, if this also applies to bluetooth.
    dont fall into the beats audio marketing.. I have the HP Envy 14 beats edition and when I press the "b" function to "activate" beats audio, the bass settings go from -1 to +6 in windows control panel.... to make you believe that beats audio makes sound better. As for headphones, there might be an advantage but I have two headphone jacks on my laptop, one for beats and one regular and they both sound the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman43 View Post
    dont fall into the beats audio marketing.. I have the HP Envy 14 beats edition and when I press the "b" function to "activate" beats audio, the bass settings go from -1 to +6 in windows control panel.... to make you believe that beats audio makes sound better. As for headphones, there might be an advantage but I have two headphone jacks on my laptop, one for beats and one regular and they both sound the same.
    To hear the difference between Beats and regular audio, you need Beats headphones. The connection is electrically different to reduce noise - isolation & ground. If you plug normal cans into a Beats jack, you don't get Beats audio. The EQ changes to compensate for the difference between audio in open air versus audio direct to your ears. Open air audio sounds better with a flat response curve, but headphones need boosting in bass & highs to sound "like" normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    To hear the difference between Beats and regular audio, you need Beats headphones. The connection is electrically different to reduce noise - isolation & ground. If you plug normal cans into a Beats jack, you don't get Beats audio. The EQ changes to compensate for the difference between audio in open air versus audio direct to your ears. Open air audio sounds better with a flat response curve, but headphones need boosting in bass & highs to sound "like" normal.
    Beats Solo HD was used for my conclusions. I do understand that there is something to backup their marketing claims though, but for me and in everyday use, the difference is not really noticeable and I credit the headphones for the sound rather than the jack.
    beats headphones are made by monster cable...yup that monster cable.... They sound good but are cheap pieces of crap that are highly overpriced. Go to a store that sells pro gear like a guitar center and you can get a really nice pair of pro head phones that are better an cheaper.

as far as beats audio from a software perspective it is nothing new, heck my 2002 Sony car radio had this thing called DSO, which if turned on made the music sound a whole lot better.
    if i turn beats on/off, it seems to just be an EQ effect, when using the speakers or a set of iPod headphones. Yes, the Touchpad speakers sound damn good and their spatial emulation is amazing for a device like this, but i don't credit "beats" for anything. Their headphones are pretty high grade.

*shrug* i don't buy into anything that Dre sells.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    To hear the difference between Beats and regular audio, you need Beats headphones.

lol wut?

do you work for the company?
    i don't care what anyone wants to say, using my 100 dollar headphones sounds so much better on a touchpad with beats than my ipod or my phone.

the only thing that i own that beats my touchpads audio is my computer with a high end sound card.

And this statement is not true:
    To hear the difference between Beats and regular audio, you need Beats headphones.
    its all got to do with the internals of the actual device, any quality pair of headphones will experience better sound quality.

!
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 10/11/2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Personally, I don't care what it does or is supposed to do. The fact of the matter is that the TouchPad's audio producing skills are amazing and I like it that way.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I only like the beats crap with party music. Other than that I rather not have some branded EQ settings making the sound more bloated.
    Beats was invented for fashion conscious teenagers. They look nice, but sound average.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I haven't said he is wrong. I ask, if this also applies to bluetooth.
    Then I apologize for misreading you. Judging from your subsequent post, I assumed you were being sarcastic.

As far as I know, the Beats audio only refers to the hardware from the sound processor to the headphone jack, according to the HP presentation that was available a while back - meaning it doesn't even apply to the built-in speakers supposedly (although, that could have been an oversight in the presentation I saw, it didn't explicitly say the speakers weren't - it concentrated on the path to the headphone jack).
    I have some V-moda crossfades and have been using them wired to the touchpad, and just recently bought a bluetooth receiver for the headphones and I have not noticed a difference in sound quality, so I'm thinking the whole beats thing is an over-hyped marketing device.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    And this statement is not true:
    I knew when I posted I shouldn't have tried to generalize a technical issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast