1.    #1  
    I'm totally new to WebOS and Ubuntu. However I did manage to install Ubuntu on VMWare and get UbuntuChroot installed on my HP Touchpad. NOW, that all that is done I have a few questions.

1) I am assuming Gnome is the name of a GUI, the one that comes default with Ubuntu. Feel free to set me straight if I am wrong. Can I install the full version of the GUI that is default in Ubuntu on my TP?

2) Is there any reason why I shouldn't share my WebOS Doctor jar I made with a friend who has a TP so they can skip the makefile parts?

3) How do I find a list of apps that I can apt-get? I understand the arm requirement part.

4) Is there any way to get rid of the keyboard area and full screen UbuntuChroot?

If there is some special place on the web I can get all this information I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me the way. Thanks!
    Last edited by waveuponwave; 10/11/2011 at 03:47 AM.
    I'm not sure there is any one place that has all the answers, but a lot of people use LXDE instead of GNOME as it's not so resource hungry.

First thing if you haven't already figured it out, is to run:

apt-get update

This updates the list of available packages.
    Then you want to set your timezone and locale.

apt-get install tzdata

Most likely it tells your your tzdata is already up to date.
    Then for locales....

apt-get install locales

Then configure your timezone...

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Then configure your locales...

dpkg-reconfigure locales

I'm in New Zealand, so I choose en_NZ.UTF-8, en_GB.UTF-8 and en_US.UTF-8
    Then I select en_NZ.UTF-8 as default.

If you are in the US, you can probably skip en_NZ and make en_US.UTF-8 default. You might wish to choose some different options if you are in EU or somewhere else.

Then search for the long thread about installing ubuntu and lxde... once you have installed the window manager of your choice, you want some tablet specific support.

Install libgtkstylus, and then before you startlxde or whatever window manager run:

export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so

The 'export' line can be added to your .bashrc in ubuntu, so you don't need to type each time.
    This is the package description in debian (but similar for ubuntu).

Debian -- Details of package libgtkstylus in squeeze

Package: libgtkstylus

stylus tap support for Gtk+

Provides a module for Gtk+ to interpret touchscreen taps, used by the G Palmtop Environment.
    Thanks for the libgtkstylus tip, makes using lxde a lot better

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Yes you can, there's a tutorial for it:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...c-control.html
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  5.    #5  
    Hey thanks guys! The tips are great! Only one other thing, can I share my WebOS doctor jar with a friend? If I do are they going to have some id number that will be the same as mine, like a sid?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Yes you can, there's a tutorial for it:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...c-control.html
    This is fantastic!!! It works beautifully and even an old windows guy was able to follow the steps with ease.

Can anyone tell me how to set a password in ubuntu? I tried to power button/switch from webos to see if I could get full screen and it asked for a password? When I installed Ubuntu on my pc to create the makefile I put in the password then. Sorry I'm new to ubuntu.

Also what is the difference if I install programs in the terminal in the GUI or should I continue to install them in Xecutah?