Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By somline
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  1.    #1  
    I am confused about why Apple is not suing HP over the design of the Touchpad.
    Is it because a lawsuit would be point less since HP has discontinued the Touchpad?

My co-workers and friends(and sometimes strangers) ask me how I like my iPad,
    even when I'm actually using a HP Touchpad.

Nobody ever asked me if I was using an iPad when I was using my Samsung
    Galaxy 10.1 tablet. It just doesn't look remotely like the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Is it because a lawsuit would be point less since HP has discontinued the Touchpad?

My co-workers and friends(and sometimes strangers) ask me how I like my iPad,
    even when I'm actually using a HP Touchpad.

Nobody ever asked me if I was using an iPad when I was using my Samsung
    Galaxy 10.1 tablet. It just doesn't look remotely like the iPad.
    The Touchpad tripped and fell on its face on its own. This thing beef Apple and Samsung was brewing before the whole galaxy tab issue (i.e. Germany) came around, but was also relevant in the fact that Samsung has (had) some of the more competitive tablets in the market among the little fish. More so the issue was "grandfathered" into their beef than Apple trying to take down competition for its iPad, which doesn't yet exist. That's my takedown it, anyway.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Because it poses no threat.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Patent lawsuits are only 20% about actual copying. They are also strategic, trying to interfere with or delay threats. They are important for affirming or canceling existing patents, which could affect future patent lawsuits. And in many cases both parties may have patents that the other is at least nominally infringing, so it may be preferable not to start a fight that in the end is going to cost legal dollars but not actually going to gain anything.

Just looking at what the patents cover is such a small part of the story that it's basically never going to make sense....
    Simple, Apple hates Samsung. They attack them any chance they get.
    You probably know that palm has a lot of patents. What name is missing in this "who's suing whom":
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You probably know that palm has a lot of patents. What name is missing in this "who's suing whom":
    Click to view quoted image
    If webOS was big hit, i am sure Palm/HP probably mixed in that graphic. However, webOS never ever succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Doesn't the Touchpad look more like the ipad?
    The ipad 2? No. Not to me. The Galaxy tab 10.1 looks much closer to me. Touchpad looks chunkier, thicker, more rounded corners, and the back has a different looking color scheme. And the build materials have a different look. Like the back on two look like brushed steel the back on the TP looks like shiny plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because it poses no threat.
    This.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/10/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    HP also has like INFINITE counter-suit ammo largely thanks to Palm.
    Apple wouldnt dare sue HP, just like they wouldnt have dared to sue PALM.

The PALM IP is very powerful, and goes all the way back to smartphone patents. Whatever Apple would sue for would be a pittance in comparison to the fallout of a retroactive countersuit.

Apple is suing Samsung because Samsung has intimate knowlege of how Apple manufactures their devices, and has now, according to Apple, began using those deign and manufacturing techniques and features on thier own devices, which Apple feels could take some of thier competitive "edge" away from their products.

Its an interesting situation, for sure.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

netwrkr9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Simple, Apple hates Samsung. They attack them any chance they get.
    ironically apple uses samsung chips in some of their products.