Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I just noticed that my Touchpad is only able to enter USB mass storage mode when the Touchpad is standing vertically and in landscape mode.

It doesn't work when it's laying flat on a surface and in fact, quickly results in a D/C as noted by the "duuu ba" sound you get when ejecting a USB item from Windows.

The issue is probably due to poor installation of the mini USB port. When the Touchpad is standing vertically and in horizontal mode, the USB pins are finally touching and thus mass storage mode can be achieved. Any other orientation does not have proper touching of pins and thus no mass storage mode.

Strangely though, charging works in either orientation, standing on its side or flat on a surface.

Anyone else have something similar?

EDIT:
    I found out the reason why! On my Touchpad at least, the mini USB port is wider than normal. Other mini USB cables will work just in charging but requires the special orientation (as noted above) for mass storage to work. The USB cable that comes with the Touchpad however (the one with the shiny circles on the ports) "fits" the Touchpad more snugly and is able to charge and access mass storage whether it's standing on its side or flat on its back.
    Last edited by nexus14; 10/09/2011 at 04:58 PM.
    That's interesting about the size difference. Might explain some other reports about doctoring being unsuccessful when a generic cable is used.
    Interesting experience. Mine has no such problem, though.
    I use the OEM cable at work, but at home I use the generic one that came with my Samsung Mythic phone. No problems with either one in any position.
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    I just noticed that my Touchpad is only able to enter USB mass storage mode when the Touchpad is standing vertically and in landscape mode.
    Thanks for the post. Same problem and I'm using a generic cable on my PC (HP cable is in living room, where I use it most, for charging). Been having a terrible time trying to get it into USB mode. Will try your trick.

...ken...