webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Registered or unregistered Kindle app
Registered or unregistered Kindle app

Old 10/09/2011, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

I was wondering, since I never buy a book from Amazon should I unregister my Touchpad from Amazon? I use the side loading app to load my books which I obtain from other sources. I just worry about waking up one day and not being able to use kindle on my touchpad. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Also, what has everyone else done, register or not?

Last edited by bobeer1315; 10/09/2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
bobeer1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do not see anything stating that the OP's books are stolen. I have books from Amazon and BN - the difficulty for me is in getting books from all of my sources to play on all my devices - TP, Nook Simple Touch, and iPhone - That said, I do not understand why the OP will not be able to use the Kindle App on TP, whether or not s/he uses the app. What side-loading app are you referring to? I am having a hard time opening some of my books with the Kindle app. I would love to have an app that will open and read ALL of my books.
Touchkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think that's pretty harsh TopTongueBarry. There are plenty of places where you can get free, legitimate mobi books which you might want to sideload. Or you might have non-DRM books in other formats that can be converted easily to mobi since there's not a capable reader for WebOS.

Amazon itself has instructions for "sideloading" on its own Kindle devices. WebOS is the only platform I know of where you can't just drop a file into the app's document folder.

bobeeer 1315 I don't think the Amazon app will work unless it is registered. Have you tried? Did you know that Amazon has plenty of free books that you might be interested in and would be a good reason anyway to keep the app registered?

If you have privacy concerns, judging from the uproar from previous cases where Amazon pulled legitimately purchased books from readers' Kindles for one reason or another makes me think they're unlikely to audit every account. Besides you might notice that your sideloaded books on whatever device or platform do not sync, which makes me think Amazon doesn't even "see" sideloaded books. Furthermore, with the advent of library book borrowing, the idea of Amazon tracking those books stinks of Homeland Security tactics and would probably be met with fierce opposition.
flamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've deleted my post as I stand corrected.
Old 10/09/2011, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
... side-loading app are you referring to? I am having a hard time opening some of my books with the Kindle app. I would love to have an app that will open and read ALL of my books.
See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...le-import.html.
kjhenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamand View Post
I think that's pretty harsh TopTongueBarry. There are plenty of places where you can get free, legitimate mobi books which you might want to sideload. Or you might have non-DRM books in other formats that can be converted easily to mobi since there's not a capable reader for WebOS.

Amazon itself has instructions for "sideloading" on its own Kindle devices. WebOS is the only platform I know of where you can't just drop a file into the app's document folder.

bobeeer 1315 I don't think the Amazon app will work unless it is registered. Have you tried? Did you know that Amazon has plenty of free books that you might be interested in and would be a good reason anyway to keep the app registered?

If you have privacy concerns, judging from the uproar from previous cases where Amazon pulled legitimately purchased books from readers' Kindles for one reason or another makes me think they're unlikely to audit every account. Besides you might notice that your sideloaded books on whatever device or platform do not sync, which makes me think Amazon doesn't even "see" sideloaded books. Furthermore, with the advent of library book borrowing, the idea of Amazon tracking those books stinks of Homeland Security tactics and would probably be met with fierce opposition.

No I haven't tried, I was just wondering what everyone's preference was. As for the free books, I already have about 13000 books so I don't really need many more. I usually get just the books I really want to read.
bobeer1315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0